Shawn Robbins

Weekend Thread (9/8-10) | Nun 3.1M Previews

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

Sure but the sequels came more than a decade later after the first movie had become kind of memory holed despite being a huge hit. A sequel in 2006 could have made 159m instead of the 59m it did in 2016.

Sometimes distance actually helps too though. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Maybe fluke was the wrong word, a phenomenon that couldn’t be recaptured.

But someone has over estimated the appeal, with a cancelled TV series and two sequels with gigantic drops from the first film. 

Similar to The Blair Witch Project. 

I agree with this 100%. I think maybe a good term for it is lightning in a bottle. It definitely appealed to millions of people but you can't replicate the success of a film like that in a sequel and then another sequel or TV series. It's like Jaws I guess in a way.  It did huge business but it sequels never came close to replicating it's success. Sometimes a film hits the Zeitgeist but has nowhere to go but down from there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree with this 100%. I think maybe a good term for it is lightning in a bottle. It definitely appealed to millions of people but you can't replicate the success of a film like that in a sequel and then another sequel or TV series. It's like Jaws I guess in a way.  It did huge business but it sequels never came close to replicating it's success. Sometimes a film hits the Zeitgeist but has nowhere to go but down from there.

Completely off topic, Jaws 2 is pretty solid, it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the reputation of 3D and the Revenge

• Like 1

Jaws 2 is great! My favorite of the sequels. It had more horror elements than the first and it works for me. 3D and Revenge aren’t good movies but I still watch them because I enjoyed them as a kid. They used to air on TV ALL the time in the ‘90s. 

The first Jaws is a perfect movie IMO. 

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I feel like that’s a bit of a win for Greek Wedding given how awful it looked, how it’s really 15 years too late, and how little buzz there was surrounding it.

The previous one did better than expected (it ended up doing just fine as counterprogramming released the same weekend as monstrous opener Batman v Superman) considering how wildly untimely it was. Even though diminishing returns are clearly the MO (as expected for a movie whose blockbuster success can't be compared to any other $200M+ grosser and the lengthy gaps between each sequel), the budgets being low enough have made turning a profit quite easy for these movies.