Shawn Robbins

Weekend Thread (9/8-10) | Nun 3.1M Previews

The Nun somehow made 365 million worldwide which is more than any of the main Conjuring films and only fifteen million less than Indiana Jones 5 this year, yet even people I know who have seen it called it awful and maybe even one of the worst horror films they have seen

• Like 1

Nun

Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak exits have the sequel at 64% positive, and a 47% recommend.  Slightly female heavey at 52% for the R-rated movie, with 67% of the audience between 18-34 and the biggest demo being 18-24 at 38%. Diversity demos show Latino and Hispanic moviegoers leading at 43%, 26% Caucasian, 12% Black and 18% Asian/other. The Nun 2 played strong everywhere, I’m told, but the best in the South Central and West. PLF and Imax auditorium bookings are driving close to 40% of the weekend’s gross to date. As of EOD Friday, Adam Aron’s AMC Burbank is the highest grossing cinema in the nation for the sequel at $54K. The Nun 2 gets a C+, which is a tad better than the C the original movie received. It’s also an average trade for a horror film.

• Like 2

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3

B on CinemaScore which is a downgrade from the previous pic’s A-. PostTrak audiences were harder on the threequel at 73% positive and a 55% recommend. Women came out at 72% with the largest demo being the over 55 bunch at 24%. Diversity demos showed 53% Caucasian, 28% Latino and Hispanic, 5% Black and 14% Asian/other. Greek Wedding 3 played strongest in the East, South and Midwest with The AMC Grove being the best cinema so far in the nation at $10K-plus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

It was really a fad. not many people remember but they did a TV show sitcom follow up with almost the whole main cast of the movie only one year later in 2003 and it got cancelled after 7 episodes.

"Almost the whole main cast" except for John Corbett, kind of a big deal to replace the husband in a story that was centered around a couple getting married. I think pumping out 2-3 more movies in the 2000s would have been a better way for the franchise to go.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What happened with The Equalizer 3? It is not getting to 100M with this stupid drop. 

A  decent portion of that older adult  core audience lost maybe permanently to streaming. The ones that wanted to see it in a theater saw it during the 4 day holiday weekend . It's still going to make 75-90 comfortably which is right in Denzel's  zone. He's only had 6  movies do 100 million domestically. The Pelican Brief, Remember the Titans, American Gangster, Safe House and the first two equalizers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

What happened with The Equalizer 3? It is not getting to 100M with this stupid drop. 

Labor Day happened. Shang-Chi had 98% Audience on Rotten Tomatoes and literally nothing out on its second weekend and it still dropped 54%. The weekend dropping right when schools go back in session is not ideal when it comes to legs. Of course like Shang-Chi, it can still recover, even if it misses 100M, and it's still going to be profitable for Sony and Fuqua.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Why the hell can’t I find Coppola’s One From The Heart anywhere? No streaming, no yarr matey sites, just expensive European DVDs on EBay.

I watched it on Mubi like two years ago but I guess stuff is always coming and going from there.

It really is visually incredible but also boooooooooooring.

9 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

It was really a fad. not many people remember but they did a TV show sitcom follow up with almost the whole main cast of the movie only one year later in 2003 and it got cancelled after 7 episodes.

The sitcom failed because it was terrible, not because the movie wasn't that popular or was a fad. Almost 23 million people turned in to the first episode, so there was definite interest. Only 3/4 came back for episode 2, and it kept sinking from there. It was a lot broader and more obviously sitcommy; I didn't like the movie that much, but it and its characters had enough charm I could see why others might. Dropping most of the same actors into a multicam setup and making them mug for the standard setup-punchline rhythm of a sitcom was just grating.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UnapologeticKenny said:

Do we have anything about Aristotle and Dante film? I saw on BOM that it had a wide release yesterday, but I couldn't find anything about the number of screens... And I also can't find anything on Twitter lol

525 locations

• Like 1

16 hours ago, baumer said:

Wasn't anything close to a fluke. It had some of the strongest word of mouth you could possibly imagine for a movie. It opened in something like 60 theaters and people just kept talking and talking and talking about it.

One of the strongest things about it was that a lot of married people in North America could relate to it. In my personal experience, I was married to a Portuguese woman and so a lot of the scenarios in the movie I could relate to.

Believe me it was anything but a fluke

Maybe fluke was the wrong word, a phenomenon that couldn’t be recaptured.

But someone has over estimated the appeal, with a cancelled TV series and two sequels with gigantic drops from the first film. 

Similar to The Blair Witch Project. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

But someone has over estimated the appeal, with a cancelled TV series and two sequels with gigantic drops from the first film. 

Similar to The Blair Witch Project. 

Sure but the sequels came more than a decade later after the first movie had become kind of memory holed despite being a huge hit. A sequel in 2006 could have made 159m instead of the 59m it did in 2016.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Barbie is finally starting to slow down, just in time for the digital release this Tues.

Barbie will have better saturday jump than during summer break, so friday-sat drop will be simillar like in weekends without ncd, or labor sunday.