Giorno

9/29-10/1 Weekend Thread

19 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

No one was trying to make Saw Patrol happen. It was just a reference to the latest pop culture phenomenon (in this case Barbenheimer). Studios have been releasing family and horror movies on the same day since forever. I'm really unsure why people took it seriously.

I think people just hate it when the corporate accounts acknowledge a meme so they have to be like "they didn't get it!"

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That seems like a fantastic number, I wonder if this is higher than average for the ghibli fest stuff? Bodes well for The Boy and the Heron DOM. I think that can pull off a 15-20 OW with IMAX, which would be pretty huge for an anime OW tbh. 

Yeah, this does appear to be nearly triple of what Howl's had for Ghibli fest in the past few years. But also to take note the fest ran for 5 days as compared to 3 days event in the past. That probably explain larger BO.

• Like 1

Having now seen The Creator, I'm not surprised it's bombing and I would not be shocked if WOM was mediocre towards bad for it. Everyone in my screening was audibly deflated at the end of it. And a ton of stretching and yawning throughout.

It's as if Oblivion and Elysium had a developmentally challenged child.

Jesus, it's such a terrible screenplay. And even the visuals were only mostly ok - after all the hype I was expecting more. You can tell a movie is bad if it can't grab my attention and make me stop asking "WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT THE BLOODY NOMAD?". There is zero thought put into actually BUILDING a world that makes sense and giving some explanations. Instead, it's a series of concepts - both art, story and theme. All kernels of something, not developed in any way. Absolutely terrible movie. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Creator said:

Um…sure?

I'm not totally agree with Valonqar description of action female leads. I don't think they really fall on male fantasy so much.

However, it's true that Barbie is pretty different on personality from them. She has a focus on feminine aspects.

Just came out the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the world building.

I have no idea why people dislike it. It's a solid movie that asks what it might be like if one nation or continent developed insidious AI and another developed benevolent AI. That's best case scenario humanity facing yet people are focused on "bad acting" or "overrated special effects".

It's a shame people can't even discuss the themes to this movie. Too distracted by the execution which was perfectly serviceable.

This movie is a mix of The Golden Child, Elysium and Spielberg's A.I.. which was worth the 12 bucks imo.

The hate this movie is getting is surreal to me. I expected way worse. Maybe people don't like the message. Well then come out and say that.

• Like 8

The Creator is flopping because Edwards, for all geek trying, is no Nolan, and JDW is no Denzel. Slap Nolan and Denzel names on the movie promos and suddenly there would be interest. It's very rare for a brand new IP to blow up unless it has a really good hook and execution. I never understood Edwards hype. He's just another Fetch. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The Creator is flopping because Edwards, for all geek trying, is no Nolan, and JDW is no Denzel. Slap Nolan and Denzel names on the movie promos and suddenly there would be interest. It's very rare for a brand new IP to blow up unless it has a really good hook and execution. I never understood Edwards hype. He's just another Fetch. 

Edwards is not trying to be Nolan. He is making a name for himself doing what he enjoys. JDW is not trying to be his father. He is trying to be JDW.  People need to stop trying to compare people and just let them be who they are. And to be fair as much as I love Nolan, there’s not much of a big difference between tenant and the creator when it comes to reviews and audience reception. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Edwards is not trying to be Nolan. He is making a name for himself doing what he enjoys. JDW is not trying to be his father. He is trying to be JDW.  People need to stop trying to compare people and just let them be who they are. And to be fair as much as I love Nolan, there’s not much of a big difference between tenant and the creator when it comes to reviews and audience reception. 

Edwards is not trying to be Nolan but geeks are trying to convince everyone he's just like him. He's not. He's never going to be that big cause his movies lack the spark. They are great visually and that's all there is. 

Never said JDW was trying to be Denzel just that he doesn't have his pull. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Gareth Edwards is just a less juvenile Zack Snyder as far as I'm concerned. I understand talking up Alex Garland because he is a legitimately great Sci Fi filmmaker but Edwards is such a shallow filmmaker. I'm not reviewing The Creator because I haven't seen it but I have seen his other films and they all have the same problems. Great visuals but lousy two dimensional characters and bland storytelling. This time he can't hide behind the Star Wars and Godzilla IP nor Tony Gilroy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Gareth Edwards is just a less juvenile Zack Snyder as far as I'm concerned. I understand talking up Alex Garland because he is a legitimately great Sci Fi filmmaker but Edwards is such a shallow filmmaker. I'm not reviewing The Creator because I haven't seen it but I have seen his other films and they all have the same problems. Great visuals but lousy two dimensional characters and bland storytelling. This time he can't hide behind the Star Wars and Godzilla IP nor Tony Gilroy.

☝️   :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Having now seen The Creator, I'm not surprised it's bombing and I would not be shocked if WOM was mediocre towards bad for it. Everyone in my screening was audibly deflated at the end of it. And a ton of stretching and yawning throughout.

Jesus, it's such a terrible screenplay. And even the visuals were only mostly ok - after all the hype I was expecting more. You can tell a movie is bad if it can't grab my attention and make me stop asking "WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT THE BLOODY NOMAD?". There is zero thought put into actually BUILDING a world that makes sense and giving some explanations. Instead, it's a series of concepts - both art, story and theme. All kernels of something, not developed in any way. Absolutely terrible movie. 

• Knock It Off 1

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

even more wrong. Cameron's movies have big heart, Edwards ones have none.

I mean Cameron is on another level, but I was very emotionally invested in both Rogue One and The Creator and cried at both movies. Sure I am a very emotional person when it comes to media, but still.

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

8108dy.jpg