grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

Speaking of Friday the 13th …

Jason goes to Hell was the second film (that a remember) I saw in a theater

(I was too young, by my cousin didn’t care)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Bffr. The Beatles, Madonna, Britney Spears were much bigger. Even recently Rihanna and Adele have a much wider reach than taylor. They simply don't have as huge or dedicated fanbase as Swift. Especially Rihanna who is very dependent on the casual listeners compared to other listeners. 

I personally believe there isn't any popstar in the last 15 years that peaked as high as Justin Bieber or even Lady Gaga. People often forget how easy it is now  especially in western countries to ignore artists you don't care about. With the rise of streaming and the fall of radio if you didn't want to hear its easy that wasn't the case when radio dominated 

Edit: Y'all are definitely affected by recency bias. 

Recency bias?! When Taylor’s debut album released George W. Bush still had a Republican majority in Congress.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, rehpyc said:

35M +/- 2.5M for true Friday would be my take, again with minimal review of data at hand. Came it a little low last night w/ the 2.5M, with being a tough call given how irregularly skewed the MTC share has been compared to typical films.

Gonna go with 28M Sat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Recency bias?! When Taylor’s debut album released George W. Bush still had a Republican majority in Congress.

Taylor didn’t become a household name in the US until 2009, and didn’t breakthrough in many global markets until 1989. Her trajectory is very different from popstars who were global from the word jump. 

4 hours ago, Taylor89 said:

Rihanna hasn't sold more. lol

that’s not what I’m seeing. I’d link the sources but this platform isn’t letting me.

rihanna has higher certs, higher reputed sales - 230-250 million, more number 1’s 

taylor has lesser certs lesser reputed sales between 170-200 - * the date source was 2021 reporting it but I doubt she’s sold 60-80 million within 2 years. 

I don’t think Rihanna is bigger than Taylor Swift btw- I’m just saying can we compare her with someone in her own era who has comparable sales, with the same affordances (streaming YouTube social media both started in 2005/6ish) before vaulting her to top of the top. There’s no doubt she’s one of the biggest stars ever there’s no debating that. Unfortunately tho there’s levels and when people say MJ / Beatles / Madonna / Elvis (whatever order) these splitting hair comparisons happen. 

there’s also heavy hitters not even mentioned like Whitney, Mariah Carey, Garth Brooks, Elton John and bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC that have sold millions and have moved needles Pop culturally etc. 

8 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Taylor didn’t become a household name in the US until 2009, and didn’t breakthrough in many global markets until 1989. Her trajectory is very different from popstars who were global from the word jump. 

No popstar is global from the word jump. That's not how the industry works. Everyone had to work their way up somehow unless they're manufactured by a corporate Pearlmanesque entity.

49 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Gaga had Taylor’s cultural cache at her peak, and was a bigger, more global hit maker. Poker Face and Bad Romance might be bigger than any Taylor song. Even Shallow is bigger than any post-1989 song from TS.

I'm not sure about that. Anti Hero and Cruel Summer are huge

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Was checking Instagram followers, Salena Gomez is way way ahead of other singers for some reason followed by Beyonce, Beiber and Swift.

Taylor comments are turned off and she doesn't post personal stuff on Instagram 

10 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

I'm not sure about that. Anti Hero and Cruel Summer are huge

More people would know Bad Romance, Just Dance, and Born This way than both of those songs

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Was checking Instagram followers, Salena Gomez is way way ahead of other singers for some reason followed by Beyonce, Beiber and Swift.

Selena is one of the luckiest artists ever. I have absolutely no idea how she got this far. IME she has always been just there. She has never dominated music ever while having big hits. She's not an artist that many people IME think of when they think of someone who makes bops. She has a nice and relatable personality but still. I think the reason why she is so popular is because of nostalgia. I grew watching her on tv and maybe her listeners did the same but kept following her afterwards

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Her country pop songs were the best. "You Belong with me" is her best song and the only song that I remember off the top of my head without googling her discography. When she transitioned to being a pop star, I remember there being the discourse in country music that she sold out to the inner machinery of the Pop industrial complex.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Y'all annoying me with this stan wars cause I wanna clock and drag, but I'm choosing to be civil. ❤️

That's GROWTH. Anyways, anyone saw any new or fun movies this weekend?

Besides the Exorcist, I watched both Totally Killer and Knock at the Cabin for spooky vibes. The former was basic popcorn fun, but I was impressed with the latter. Very underrated M Night flick

• Like 1