XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

I already wrote RDJ's epilogue final-final scene...after he shows up again in SECRET WARS...and segues his IRON MAN identity to...another younger Tony Stark from another universe. 

RDJ: Hey.  So you're me...or I'm you.  Whatever.  Shawarma anyone? 

Nu-Stark:  I heard you saved the universe...three times. 

RDJ:  Yeah, yeah, all in a day's work.  I had some help.  And a Hulk.  Look...in the future, don't do what I did.  No wait -- DO do what I did...just do it differently.  And take care of the kid.  Don't call me. 

I guess if the big COVID push to announce tons of projects means between now and Cap theres a chance to wash out the cobwebs in the fandom. Between the Marvels coverage and the strike, aside from Loki there hasn't been a ton of good news. What If would make a good palette cleanse for people more jaded, barring something abjectly morally offensive I don't see how that could get such a different reception than the first 

Eternals deserves its poor reviews but is it still a bummer to me, solely based on optics, that 2 out of the 3 lowest rated MCU films are directed by women and women of color no less? Yes, it is a huge bummer.

I don't think that reviewers should pretend to like a movie based on optics though. And despite people with nefarious motives claiming that they do, reviewers don't do that and they shouldn't. 

29 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eternals deserves its poor reviews but is it still a bummer to me, solely based on optics, that 2 out of the 3 lowest rated MCU films are directed by women and women of color no less? Yes, it is a huge bummer.

I don't think that reviewers should pretend to like a movie based on optics though. And despite people with nefarious motives claiming that they do, reviewers don't do that and they shouldn't. 

I don't really think that's...a thing that happens? I mean the movies still getting plenty of negative reviews, it's hard to buy that there's some sort of pro Marvel bias in this case

critic bias questions

Shouldn't this really just be reframed as a data analysis question? You could just graph critic scores and see if they had weird disjunctions at "positive/negative" inflection points. If people are nudging scores up or down in significant ways wouldn't that be visible on margins? 

I mean, the number of films tested is probably low enough that it's not truly dispositive but it would be an obvious test for someone interested in that claim.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't really think that's...a thing that happens? I mean the movies still getting plenty of negative reviews, it's hard to buy that there's some sort of pro Marvel bias in this case

I didn't say that was happening. Did you misread my post? Or were you just agreeing in your own words?

4 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Shouldn't this really just be reframed as a data analysis question? You could just graph critic scores and see if they had weird disjunctions at "positive/negative" inflection points. If people are nudging scores up or down in significant ways wouldn't that be visible on margins? 

I mean, the number of films tested is probably low enough that it's not truly dispositive but it would be an obvious test for someone interested in that claim.

I don't think the people here saying these things are interested in actually answering this question. They just want to make dramatic arguments about how critics are either too hard or too lenient based on their own personal feelings about a film.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I don't think the people here saying these things are interested in actually answering this question. They just want to make dramatic arguments about how critics are either too hard or too lenient based on their own personal feelings about a film.

My Great Take on critics?

Critical opinion on film can change over time.  

Films, and most art for that matter, are reassessed all the time!  Even outside of things like Values Dissonance, what is appealing in one decade might not be as much a short while later.  What is acceptable comfort food, and thus worthy of a passing grade, might not be as appetizing five, ten, or fifteen years down the line. 

What resonates with someone at age 25 might not as much at 45!  And that's not even getting down to vague concepts like Cultural Mood.  Even countries with shared histories and broadly similar cultural tastes can still have some fairly varied reactions to similar films due to a dozen different factors that don't need to be really looked at in this thread.

This is normal and, IMO, healthy.

So, sure, any particular critics tastes might have changed on a particular genre.  That's not so much bias but... just being human.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

And What If is next month / sometime "in the holiday season". Given the reception of the first one I can't see how it goes rotten

Genuinely the only future MCU project I am really excited about right now, I really liked the first one (well at least some of the episodes). I like the concept of the show. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My Great Take on critics?

Critical opinion on film can change over time.  

Films, and most art for that matter, are reassessed all the time!  Even outside of things like Values Dissonance, what is appealing in one decade might not be as much a short while later.  What is acceptable comfort food, and thus worthy of a passing grade, might not be as appetizing five, ten, or fifteen years down the line. 

Somehow sci-fi seems to be the most affected by this in a positive way. Maybe because they often try to say something about our future, and once we arrive at the "future", we can look back and perhaps understand better what it was about? I don't know if I'm just speaking gibberish here, but I feel like that is something that does happen fairly often to sci-fi works.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Genuinely the only future MCU project I am really excited about right now, I really liked the first one (well at least some of the episodes). I like the concept of the show. 

honestly don't care about what if? season 2 since they cut the Pacific rim episode to season 3

• ...wtf 1