XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

3 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I think back in like late 2021/early 2022 someone on r/boxoffice asked "would Eternals be a John Carter level flop without the Marvel brand?" I think The Marvels is the answer to that. . .because Eternals was lucky to come out when the marvel brand was still unbelievably strong. So despite poor reviews/pandemic/new characters it still did $402M WW on a $200M budget, so just a flop not a bomb like The Marvels. But if it came out in November 2023 when the marvel brand is weak and CBM fatigue is at its peak, it would've done The Marvels numbers and it would've been a true bomb instead of just a flop.

I've been looking through some old trade articles for marketing data and the amount of muscle Disney was able to attract for co-branded spots really was notable. I really do think Eternals' failures get sort of underestimated due to the pandemic and the rash of solo films.

1 minute ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I've been looking through some old trade articles for marketing data and the amount of muscle Disney was able to attract for co-branded spots really was notable. I really do think Eternals' failures get sort of underestimated due to the pandemic and the rash of solo films.

Pandemic was a blessing in disguise for Eternals. It has a get out of jail free-card excuse basically, even though it was looking like an easy $700M+ worldwide with good reception the way it was tracking.

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I don't why the people who do this don't realize how insufferable they are. Like find something else to do with your time. This forum would be so much better if some of the threads were not negative depressing  bitchfests.

People like to express their emotions. That could be relaxing.

Irritating users they don't know is the least of their worries.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

so apparently Marvel still wants to make Eternals 2 and second seasons for She Hulk and Ms Marvel

"Big IP" content is the only thing that moves the needle on D+ tv and presumably season 2 of those shows both could be done cheaper due to actually attempting to reduce the budget and being able to draw on a larger pool of existing assets. If you literally cut the number of scenes where She-Hulk was she-hulk in half, it wouldn't have read as the show cheeping out. It's not clear at what level of budget show makes sense but on a pure viewership level, it at least brought in an audience. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

As i suspected, we are in make or break territory. 

It’s just crazy to me that now they want to tie Deadpool in to the MCU to “save it” when it has totally existed separately before this. It just already feels like a big mess as far as the GA goes.