XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Winderbaum also shed some info about the other animated stuff:

Eyes of Wakanda is actually set in the main MCU universe and has the best animation they've had so far 

YFNSM is more serialized and long-form, very Ditko influenced 

X-Men 97 Season 2 is mid-animatic stage

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

And the premiere was 4 million with 2 episodes. So viewership actually grew over the course of the season.

I rarely see animated tv stuff or movies. But i could not let this go. And what a show this was. Wow.. I loved every minute of it

33 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

My spicy hot ghost pepper take is that No Way Home's legs were kinda bad for XMAS. With that weekend/reception it should've crossed $900M DOM.

It's a semi-popular take 'round here.

It's a bad take, IMO, but you're far from alone on it. 😉 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's a semi-popular take 'round here.

It's a bad take, IMO, but you're far from alone on it. 😉 

I don't get why 2.8 legs (TLJ) is considered absolutely miserable but 3.1 legs (NWH) is considered great even though it's only 0.3 apart (especially since NWH benefitted greatly from literally 0 competition late in its run). When TLJ dropped 69% it was destroyed by all the keyboard warriors but then NWH dropped the same the consensus was "ehhh whatever it was just Christmas eve."

And also just the holy trinity of inflation/Christmas/zero comp helped NWH a lot, in the alternate timeline where COVID never happened and it came out in July 2021 there's no way it would've made $800M DOM. Probably a 250/650 esque run.

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

The reason I say "it's a bad take" is.... Any film which does nearly $550m after its OW did pretty darn good, IMO.

One of my hobby horses on this board is thinking that we collectively get too wrapped up in multipliers at times without looking at the, you know, actual gross.  

Multipliers aren't the only barometer of popularity or reception.  A strong barometer?  Sure.  Just not the only one.

(sparing y'all my Multiplier Skeptic rant for once 😛)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I don't get why 2.8 legs (TLJ) is considered absolutely miserable 

Who said *I* think "it's absolutely miserable"? 😇

(the argument is also made at TFA, believe it or not)

((also, implicitly already addressed the 'legs' portion of your post with my prior reply))

Edited by Porthos

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Who said *I* think "it's absolutely miserable"? 😇

(the argument is also made at TFA, believe it or not)

Most people on box office forums agree it's miserable. Though for me the internet doesn't appreciate how damn huge TLJ's 220M debut is. 

And also speaking of TFA, NWH opened higher but only because of inflation. In terms of admits I think it's like 22.6M NWH vs 23.8M TFA

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Most people on box office forums agree it's miserable.

Internet is full of bad takes though. :lol: 

Also, let's be honest, TLJ is a... lightning rod for bad-faith takes.  Not necessarily that one, but might as well address the elephant in the room here.

But, as I said, gonna spare y'all the whole "sometimes folks put too much stock into multipliers" rant/discussion.  This time. 😉 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Most people on box office forums agree it's miserable. Though for me the internet doesn't appreciate how damn huge TLJ's 220M debut is. 

And also speaking of TFA, NWH opened higher but only because of inflation. In terms of admits I think it's like 22.6M NWH vs 23.8M TFA

Not only was the hype for TFA absolutely insane (Star Wars as a brand was completely inescapable in the last few months of 2015), but it came out at a far healthier time for movie theaters compared to when NWH released. 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Internet is full of bad takes though. :lol: 

Also, let's be honest, TLJ is a... lightning rod for bad-faith takes.  Not necessarily that one, but might as well address the elephant in the room here.

But, as I said, gonna spare y'all the whole "sometimes folks put too much stock into multipliers" rant/discussion.  This time. 😉 

Yeah the obsession with legs is crazy. TLJ and Avatar 2 both dropped around 2/3rds from their predecessor's admissions, but TLJ is crapped on yet Avatar 2 is praised as the second coming because "muh legs." 

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah the obsession with legs is crazy. TLJ and Avatar 2 both dropped around 2/3rds from their predecessor's admissions, but TLJ is crapped on yet Avatar 2 is praised as the second coming because "muh legs." 

We both know why TLJ is crapped on:

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, sure, in a vacuum, it probably did somewhat less than it "should" have had.  But goodness sakes, people would think it had a [MOVIE NAME DELETED TO AVOID FLAMEWARS] level reception the way they describe its box office run.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Anyway, all of this has, perhaps inevitably, drifted away from talk about No Way Home's legs, so I will attempt to leave those comments as the last on the matter (in this thread at least).

(probably won't succeed, but sure am gonna try)

Edited by Porthos

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Anyway, all of this has, perhaps inevitably, drifted away from talk about No Way Home's legs, so I will attempt to leave those comments as the last on the matter (in this thread at least).

(probably won't succeed, but sure am gonna try)

Yeah let's stop turning this into the Star Wars thread 

How much do you think NWH would have done in DOM without omicron? Still if COVID in general existed but just not that specific variant. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah let's stop turning this into the Star Wars thread 

How much do you think NWH would have done in DOM without omicron? Still if COVID in general existed but just not that specific variant. 

Aw, geeeze, I dunno.  5-10% more, maybe? Say,  840m to 870m as a pure ass-pull guess? 

COVID was starting to turn into a real culture war hot potato by that point so it's kinda hard to disentangle all of the factors.  You had people still being very hesitant about crowds.  But you also had backlash to the folks who were still being ultra-cautious so some folks intentionally went out to "stick it to them".

But then you had people getting sick and tired of it all, having thought that Delta was the peak, so a backlash to the existence of Omicron itself started manifesting and that might have fueled things a bit. That is, if folks had already gotten their "FINALLY WE GET TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE" out of their systems in Sep-Nov, maybe a "cooped up factor"/"here we go again" factor wouldn't have been in play.

Culture Wars are weird.

All in all, I think it's silly to say that Omicron didn't depress NWH at least a little because I know for an utter fact that some segment of the population was still being cautious.  How many of those folks were counter-balanced by folks who were SICK AND TIRED OF IT ALL AND DAMMIT I JUST WANT TO ENJOY LIFE I'M GOING OUT NOW NO MATTER WHAT!  is harder to suss out.

Hell, NWH being a Stress Release Valve can't be discounted, either.  And Omicron certainly added to the stress.  Maybe slightly less stress = slightly less need from the GA for catharsis/enjoy life dammit right at that moment?

Don't think it would be huge, don't think it would be nothing.  How much "not nothing"?  Tell me when we get portals to Earth 2. 😄 

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Fun Fact: The last five movies with Spider-Man in it (which included at least 1 live action scene ;)) all made $300M+ in profits.

And holy moly shit was ATSV such a mega success. $328M profit from a $100M budget film is actually ridiculous, straight up Illumination level profit.