XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

54 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

How the fuck have we circled back to the "it's easy, just cancel all the stuff they've already announced and filmed" nonsense again. It isn't happening.

I wasn't talking about scrapping fully filmed stuff. I was referring to filming what they have without throwing copious amounts of money in reshoots, and hoping for the best.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I wasn't talking about scrapping fully filmed stuff. I was referring to filming what they have without throwing copious amounts of money in reshoots, and hoping for the best.

Some stuff they will aim to "save" (probably CAPTAIN AMERICA, as it's an established brand), and some stuff they will likely "write-off" with whatever they already have shot (AGATHA, etc., even maybe IRONHEART...which already shot, right?)  If I were Iger, I would transition ARMOR WARS back to a Limited Series.  Focus on BIG pics: AVENGERS, maybe another "serious" THOR...and yes, push through X-MEN...and where is SHANG-CHI II??  But yes, they need new A-listers... "Young Avengers" ain't gonna cut it...at least not yet!  

Edited by Macleod

Just now, Macleod said:

Some stuff they will aim to "save" (probably CAPTAIN AMERICA, as it's an established brand), and some stuff they will likely "write-off" with whatever they already have shot (AGATHA, etc., even maybe IRONHEART...which already shot, right?)  If I were Iger, I would transition ARMOR WARS back to a Limited Series.  Focus on BIG pics: AVENGERS, maybe another "serious" THOR...and where is SHANG-CHI II??  But yes, they need new A-listers... "Young Avengers" ain't gonna cut it...at least not yet!  

No, they aren't going to write off anything.

They've already said multiple times Shang-Chi 2 is happening.

No, only doing sequels is not the solution. If they only did sequels there wouldn't be a first Shang-Chi to do a sequel to!

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Some stuff they will aim to "save" (probably CAPTAIN AMERICA, as it's an established brand), and some stuff they will likely "write-off" with whatever they already have shot (AGATHA, etc., even maybe IRONHEART...which already shot, right?)  If I were Iger, I would transition ARMOR WARS back to a Limited Series.  Focus on BIG pics: AVENGERS, maybe another "serious" THOR...and yes, push through X-MEN...and where is SHANG-CHI II??  But yes, they need new A-listers... "Young Avengers" ain't gonna cut it...at least not yet!  

Why is Armor Wars small and Cap 4 big? Both are spinoffs that have new characters using core avengers character's suits. 

and where is SHANG-CHI II?

victim of Kang Wars planning. This seems like by far the biggest own goal especially as a quicker sequel to Shang would have been following up relatively closely to barbie. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Why is Armor Wars small and Cap 4 big? Both are spinoffs that have new characters using core avengers character's suits. 

ARMOR WARS should have been a RDJ IRON MAN sequel.  With Don Cheadle (as great as he is on other things), this concept doesn't have the gravity.  They've already done the "bad guy steals Iron Man's armor tech" bit.  CAP4 at least *seems* like a new concept...although with HULK (?) villains?  And of course Sam Wilson was *officially* handed the reigns by Steve Rogers, himself...  Rhodes...wasn't, to our knowledge.  

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

ARMOR WARS should have been a RDJ IRON MAN sequel.  With Don Cheadle (as great as he is on other things), this concept doesn't have the gravity.  They've already done the "bad guy steals Iron Man's armor tech" bit.  CAP4 at least *seems* like a new concept...although with HULK (?) villains?  And of course Sam Wilson was *officially* handed the reigns by Steve Rogers, himself...  Rhodes...wasn't, to our knowledge.  

AW should have stayed on D+. Rhodes just isn't popular enough to lead a big budget movie on his own.

This could turn into another Marvels if they aren't careful.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

victim of Kang Wars planning. This seems like by far the biggest own goal especially as a quicker sequel to Shang would have been following up relatively closely to barbie. 

Shang director was kicked off the Avengers sequel, so now he can focus entirely on Shang Chi 2.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They already finished filming on Wonder Man. No, they aren't scrapping Armor Wars. All indications are everything that's been announced is still ongoing.

Edited by SpiderByte

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Macleod said:

They're just both terrible ideas on paper unless (1) you think there's something specific about the visuals that will have strong drawing power or (2) Fiege is high on the IronHeart girl (because we know Cheadle/Mackie weren't breakout characters in their prior films). I think Elizabeth Olson had a mini breakout due to Wandavision but I don't get the sense either Mackie/Stan were really elevated by FatWS. In Iron Heart/Armor Wars' defense, Ultron is going to be a decade old by the time they're released (and IM2 is older than that). The timing is pretty fine for a reintroduction of the concept, I'm just not sure the raw interest is there. It's going to be interesting to see how they market it.

Cap 4's a new concept but the hulk stuff also seems to imply it was going to be mega budget even before reshoots. A movie version of FatWS wouldn't have had a massive ceiling but sounds pretty safe on paper (at least with quality concerns addressed). 

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

They already finished filming on Wonder Man. No, they aren't scrapping Armor Wars. All indications are everything that's been announced is still ongoing.

Iger pretty explicitly said something like "these content reductions may not apply in the immediate short term as we wind down the content produced under the "make as much as possible" mandate (though he's privately said more stuff than has been publicly mentioned was been shelved in the past). It seems like that's been lost in the aggregation. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

It also seems Iger is only counting the live action stuff since he mentions at one point four shows releasing in a year, the only time which that happened was 2021, where 5 were released including What If. And actually this year is scheduled to have the same amount with the three animated shows.

49 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It also seems Iger is only counting the live action stuff since he mentions at one point four shows releasing in a year, the only time which that happened was 2021, where 5 were released including What If. And actually this year is scheduled to have the same amount with the three animated shows.

Good news..The animated shows are non canon to the MCU anyways...Marvels Zombie and new Spiderman shows  have probably been ready for a long time now ..just release them already..

8 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Almost feel like some expect all of this changes to take immediate effect when reality is it will take years to fix. Post F4 is when we will really see the difference imo. Now if that difference will lead to success, that will time only tell.

Reminded of a classic editorial cartoon, which I'll edit slightly:

8pbqee.jpg

Change up budget/scripts as one pleases.

(didn't want to waste the time/effort to change up the papers on the first caption, but I'm sure the visual point is made)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

X-MEN 97 keeps being nothing short of perfection. Some of the best stuff Marvel has ever made.

Live action MCU Xmen wont even come close to this show in terms of quality...talk about stealing its thunder

• Astonished 1