Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think y'all have to be careful in the belief that everything comic book related is going to drop from previous installments.  There's no reason yet to believe that The Batman 2 or Deadpool 3 or anything else is in jeopardy.  Nobody asked for or wanted "The Marvels" apparently and MCU overall had been on a bit of a downward spiral. 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. was somewhat removed from current MCU as it really was just it's own thing and that did not see a worldwide decrease from previous movies. 

Also, Spiderman 4 is gonna drop from NWH cause NWH was a once in a lifetime event. It'll revert to its regular boxoffice but if it dropped under Homecoming (880M) than yeah that would be a problem. But I don't see that happening. 

51 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think Deadline is slowing the drop, so it doesn't seem like it was sudden and a huge miss...a few million per day (heading from $60M+ to up to $55M here but mentioning $47M) means tomorrow's update can be a few more million down, and then Sunday a few more:)...

Deadline did the same thing with Flash 

https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-the-flash-elemental-ezra-miller-1235418741/

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Going to watch The Marvels tonight. What do I need to be caught up on content-wise in the MCU?

Captain Marvel. WandaVision episodes that feature Monica (including the mid-credits scene of the final episode) and Ms. Marvel.

• Thanks 1

Disney recent quarter earning report of july-september says that they have reduced marketing budget of future releases after Haunted Mansion. Marketing of The Marvels started in October and it seems like they've spent less in marketing & so I think its P&A budget should be half or less than half of Ant-Man3(75m or less). If thats the case then it won't lose much money, lets see if trades say anything about its P&A budget.

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The problem with The Marvels is also the target audience. Seems like they were trying to make a film that appealed mainly to women but forgot their fanbase is like 70% male lol 

Just like Star Wars. They also forgot that women like movies with hot men hence Aquaman's Aqua Moms and higher audience share of women.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Going to watch The Marvels tonight. What do I need to be caught up on content-wise in the MCU?

No need to watch anything. People have successfully spread this misinformation & destroyed it's box office. Marvel seriously needed someone like James Gunn to debunk all misinformation but unfortunately they're lazy & they don't even care.

2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Disney recent quarter earning report of july-september says that they have reduced marketing budget of future releases after Haunted Mansion. Marketing of The Marvels started in October and it seems like they've spent less in marketing & so I think its P&A budget should be half or less than half of Ant-Man3(75m or less). If thats the case then it won't lose much money, lets see if trades say anything about its P&A budget.

Right now it looks like the movie might make only around 200M WW. Even if the marketing budget was just 75M then this is still a ~200M loss.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Also, Spiderman 4 is gonna drop from NWH cause NWH was a once in a lifetime event. It'll revert to its regular boxoffice but if it dropped under Homecoming (880M) than yeah that would be a problem. But I don't see that happening. 

FFH should be a good O/U for Spiderman 4

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

No need to watch anything. People have successfully spread this misinformation & destroyed it's box office. Marvel seriously needed someone like James Gunn to debunk all misinformation but unfortunately they're lazy & they don't even care.

I'm sorry but you miss out on so much context if you haven't seen WandaVision or Ms. Marvel.

4 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Gunn does more harm than good on twitter.

9 minutes ago, DInky said:

Right now it looks like the movie might make only around 200M WW. Even if the marketing budget was just 75M then this is still a ~200M loss.

Each marvel movie is worth $350m to D+, TV & pVOD, that alone will recover it's total cost of $300m. If Ant-Man 3 with 150m marketing budget needed 500m to break even then The Marvels with 75m P&A budget would need 170m less than Ant-Man3 WW to break even, something around 330m. But 75m is just my guess.

Edited by Willowra

6 minutes ago, Willowra said:

They can't have someone debunk every fake rumor every day because people will just make more fake rumors to see what sticks. Which is exactly what happened with Gunn and why he's stopped doing it so much