Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Marvels entire hook was "come see this team of superheroes!". The entire marketing was this. They had nothing else to sell. And if your entire marketing rests on a team up where people don't care about 2 of the 3 members... (this goes back to the points of TV/too much content/duds/MCU getting too dense I made in the previous page).

An ACTUAL Captain Marvel 2 with the storyline of Secret Invasion where you have Brie and SLJ front and center would easily make 750-900M WW. Now that would be a great hook. In this timeline Marvel never branched to TV. Of course, we aren't in this timeline.

I thought that too but the fact this might end up as the biggest bomb of all time makes me think nobody is interested in this  character, Maybe if it was Winter Soldier level it at least could have had good legs

Thenumbers had their movie comparisons chart for Marvels with the new THG. That has been changed to Marvels movie comparisons with The Flash.

Should be interesting who wins out. Maybe Marvels can win with legs?

Marvels vs Flash

1st Friday $21,500,000 /
$21,500,000
$24,133,354 /
$24,133,354
1st Saturday $15,300,000 /
$36,800,000
$15,554,339 /
$39,687,693
1st Sunday $10,200,000 /
$47,000,000
$15,355,986 /
$55,043,679
Edited by Mojoguy

I'm not saying this is a good thing so don't yell at me but I believe that after the failure of Birds of Prey and The Marvels, you will never see another BIG BUDGET all female Super Hero team again. You'll still get female led Superhero projects of course because Wonder Woman 2017 and Captain Marvel were smash hits but the all female team thing is dead.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Marvels entire hook was "come see this team of superheroes!". The entire marketing was this. They had nothing else to sell. And if your entire marketing rests on a team up where people don't care about 2 of the 3 members... (this goes back to the points of TV/too much content/duds/MCU getting too dense I made in the previous page).

An ACTUAL Captain Marvel 2 with the storyline of Secret Invasion where you have Brie and SLJ front and center would easily make 750-900M WW. Now that would be a great hook. In this timeline Marvel never branched to TV. Of course, we aren't in this timeline.

I don't think the reception of Captain Marvel as character has been really good. Her popularity doesn't seem to be enough to drawn people to the cinema.

That said, if the MCU brand wouldn't have been overexploited with the Didney+ shows, perhaps the brand would be stronger and help the box office. 

Still, I'm not sure Secret Invasion is a so popular storyline.

Edited by Kon

17 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Once again, you're forgetting about the convenience fees that are now a new normal. No one should have to pay 21% extra to buy a ticket online.

No one has to, until yesterday no one did. Are there many places where you cannot buy tickets in person ?

Reserving seat long time in advance has a very high value to some that are ready and want to pay for it, they never need to (if they did not start online only purchase yet).

Edited by Barnack

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

And in that timeline, is Secret Invasion actually made competently?

Just now, grim22 said:

In that timeline that storyline is set in a two hours and a half Captain Marvel 2. The chances that it is made competently increase dramatically from the garbage we got.

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I thought that too but the fact this might end up as the biggest bomb of all time makes me think nobody is interested in this  character, Maybe if it was Winter Soldier level it at least could have had good legs

It doesn't work like that. People are not interested right now because The Marvels is the peak of everything that went wrong with the MCU since 2021. 

Imagine a decently received Captain Marvel 2 (70s on RT) with the hook of Secret Invasion in a timeline where there are no TV shows. It is a completely different world.

There are thousands of alien invasion movies. You can tell a great one in 2 hours along with the cliche Carol punches out main villian in the climax. Have the super Skrull and tease the Fantastic 4 in the post credits or whatever. They just needed a great writer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It doesn't work like that. People are not interested right now because The Marvels is the peak of everything that went wrong with the MCU since 2021. 

Imagine a decently received Captain Marvel 2 (70s on RT) with the hook of Secret Invasion in a timeline where there are no TV shows. It is a completely different world.

Saw this analogy on Reddit. Endgame was the perfect finale, like Scrubs Season 8 finale. Everything since has been Scrubs Season 9. Some returning characters, some pending storylines to continue, a lot of new characters most of whom you don't like, and some good moments but mostly bad. People checked it out initially because of their love for the franchise but kept bailing with each additional episode.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Saw this analogy on Reddit. Endgame was the perfect finale, like Scrubs Season 8 finale. Everything since has been Scrubs Season 9. Some returning characters, some pending storylines to continue, a lot of new characters most of whom you don't like, and some good moments but mostly bad. People checked it out initially because of their love for the franchise but kept bailing with each additional episode.

It's amazing that Scrubs Season 9 decided to just not hire likable leads.

The truly baffling part is the lack of any cohesive vision post EG.

This is why some of us like me have been sounding the death knell for impending collapse since early 2022. Because it was increasingly apparent they didn’t know what the hell they were doing with this franchise. And now it’s undeniable and all of the GA has caught on too. It’s like they really didn’t care and thought “too big to fail” with the franchise. You’d think the late 10s implosion of SW films would have taught them something. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think that's actually a major problem here. All of the trailers explicitly chose to exclude "The Skrull Emperor" despite the character/the first act setting of

Spoiler

a Skrull/Kree peace agreement

This setting would have been 100% fair game to include as a marketing hook for the film (instead the final trailers pretended the villain was a Thanos acolyte).  If you wanted to cut a "Skrulls & Kree are cool Marvel aliens connected to CM" trailer, you could easily have done so. They didn't even try to frame the film along these terms.

Spoiler

Secret Invasion obviously started life as a spin-off of The Marvels' first act resolution, right? The Marvels gives a pretty clear explanation for why Fury would be leaving the Peak for the first time post-Thanos. 

Marvel either didn't trust this as a marketing pitch or knew SI as actually written/filmed would kill any attempts at synergy. 

The reasons behind this level of audience erosion will likely be dissected for as long as it's in theaters (which will be at least until Christmas, you know the marketplace is going to dry up over the next month when the 20th anniversary of Love Actually is going to be one of the biggest releases of early December), but I will continue stand by the notion that nearly 5 years was just too long to make a sequel (the timeframe to strike while the iron is hot is only growing smaller these days), and the sequel focusing around two other characters from the D+ shows (giving it a "do your homework" component it arguably would've been better off without) as its big team-up, ultimately proved to be the downfall behind this.

This will go down as the project where everyone realized the perception vs. the reality of the MCU's power over pop culture: for all the "killing cinema" nonsensical handwringing over it, the level of audience devotion to the entire franchise has clearly been taken for granted.