Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

3 hours ago, Sckathian said:

The fact Gunn delivered their only major hit just highlights how much Iger fucked up in firing him (though I notice Iger now blames his other execs for this). 

Likewise burning their bridges with Lord and Miller.

On the animation side Disney has a creative problem, on the Marvel side Disney have a creative problem and on the Fox side they have a crutch - Apes is one to look to next year and how it performs.

All starts with the exec team. Until they have a cultural change I don't see things improving for them. I feel like a lot of people just don't want to work with Disney.

I mean look at the burn rate Star Wars has for creative teams.

Yup, fuck Iger and everyone surrounding him, they burned bridges left and right, no wonder their movies have been feeling creatively stale lately, they drove away a lot of the creativity from their studio.

54 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Hunger 5.8

Dic 4.3

Wish 3.7

This is so, so bad for Wish. It's a pity they couldn't nail it, I quite like the songs (as far as Disney songs being played dozens of times every day in my household go) and I thought Chris Pine as a villain looked really fun. The man can't catch a break.

Ps: Fuck yeah Hunger Games

game of thrones wine GIF

Edited by Arlborn

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Amazing hold for The Hunger Games. It's a strong movie and audiences are clearly enjoying it.

Also, the fact that after 60+ new reviews, it has managed to move from 60% to 65% is impressive. 

Yup, there was a long while there where it looked like it was going to end up rotten, and now for some reason the sentiment on it has changed bit from the critics reviewing it. I wonder why.

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yup, there was a long while there where it looked like it was going to end up rotten, and now for some reason the sentiment on it has changed bit from the critics reviewing it. I wonder why.

When everything else is bad, people lower their standards and expectations.

I know it seems I'm throwing shade towards Hunger Games prequel, but I think this movie being the "good one" on november helps to soften the critics.

Edited by Kon

Lionsgate deserves some points for getting Hunger Games to have a sense of scale for a big blockbuster while also not spending an insane amount on the budget at just $100 million. They were smart to stick with Francis Lawrence who knows how to do this stuff for way cheaper than it looks. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

The downfall of superhero box office in the span of one year is still utterly astonishing. Ant-Man 3 really killed a whole-ass genre in one foul swoop. At least when comedy movies died, it was a gradual thing nobody even noticed until it was too late.

Wasn't just Ant-Man 3. There had already been widespread fallout from the DCEU where the majority of their films have earned bad reputations. And with Marvel, since 2022 they have been on a downward spiral in audience and critical reception and then having massive bombs in 2023. Add to the fact the overwhelming over-saturation of Marvel TV shows, and it was inevitable that the genre would collapse since it was already so reliant on MCU. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Someone will show up to fill that niche. There’s always just that transition period. And who knows, maybe it’s Disney themselves who do it.

Theaters rely on hits. It just so happens that those hits were produced largely by Disney the last 10 years. But someone else (my money’s on Universal) will show up to make those hits again.

i don't think that gap will be filled. Movie going habits have changed, people just won't go to the theater for something to do as a family and this is the transition period.  Studios will adjust/lower budgets and expectations of a film making just 150m post covid vs 300m pre covid. Theaters will need to adjust as well...raise prices, more fan event type films where ticket prices can even be higher ie Swift concert and more premium large format auditoriums.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I quite like the songs (as far as Disney songs being played dozens of times every day in my household go) 

We live in time where a THG movie has better songs than a WDAS movie........ think about it. It's one thing to fuck up the writing and animation, but how the freak they fuck up the music of a Disney movie I can never understand. 

5 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

We live in time where a THG movie has better songs than a WDAS movie........ think about it. It's one thing to fuck up the writing and animation, but how the freak they fuck up the music of a Disney movie I can never understand. 

Huh, I think you misunderstood me, I like the Wish songs. No big hit like Let It Go or Bruno, but they’re overall pretty good when compared to the rest of their modern songs, in my opinion that is.

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:
34 minutes ago, Noctis said:

BOSS:

$7.3m

Reverse SAT and FRI. $5.8m

$10.5m

$11.3m

$8.8m

$43.7m 

(-31.4% from Fri-Sun)

Reverse SAT and FRI. SUN be around half of SAT.

Yes SUN will be a 40-45% down compared to SAT and in Thanksgiving , SAT is generally stable or down to friday ( due to Black Friday boost)