Eric Duncan

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023)

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023)

I don't know if I went to see it with insanely low expectations, but I really enjoyed this movie. Really good and fun flick.

It moved fast and it wasn't long. The action scenes and visuals were great. This is miles, miles better than Flash, Shazam 2, Blue Beetle. Miles.

Definitely not a bad movie, imo. I was surprised about how safe it was. Movie played safe and never left that zone. Happy ending, only the villain dies. No, the baby doesn't die. 

8.0 / 10

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't know if I went to see it with insanely low expectations, but I really enjoyed this movie. Really good and fun flick.

It moved fast and it wasn't long. The action scenes and visuals were great. This is miles, miles better than Flash, Shazam 2, Blue Beetle. Miles.

Definitely not a bad movie, imo. I was surprised about how safe it was. Movie played safe and never left that zone. Happy ending, only the villain dies. No, the baby doesn't die. 

8.0 / 10

Yeah 100% agreed, my theater clapped.. Every1 ate up the IMAX 3D, my wife said it was better than the 1st Aquaman and more evenly paced than Avatar last yr..

Some scenes from Nicole Kidman talking to Orm were also very touching IMO.

But it got whacked by critics real hard...

• Like 1

Yep, this movie was as good as the first one. No idea what the critics are going on about. It’s not like they loved the first one or anything, but it still got much better reviews than this, while basically having the same breezy fun vibe, it’s odd.

I guess this movie’s mistake is being a CBM in 2023.

Or maybe they just wanted the baby to die. I’m not gonna lie though, it sorta feels like the father should’ve died and probably did in an earlier version of the film, but I can respect a film with such fun vibe not wanting to be too much of a downer.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

Back from Aquaman. First act is rough. Once Orm turns up its all gold.

My only serious complaint, not once does Topo play the drums.

15 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Yep, this movie was as good as the first one. No idea what the critics are going on about. It’s not like they loved the first one or anything, but it still got much better reviews than this, while basically having the same breezy fun vibe, it’s odd.

I guess this movie’s mistake is being a CBM in 2023.

Or maybe they just wanted the baby to die. I’m not gonna lie though, it sorta feels like the father should’ve died and probably did in an earlier version of the film, but I can respect a film with such fun vibe not wanting to be too much of a downer.

Its all narrative. Its what the MCU needs to avoid on its downturn, that the narrative of 'Its a flop-verse' sticks

Edited by Juliet
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, poweranimals said:

So I just got back from seeing the movie. I enjoyed it for the most part but I fell asleep when Black Manta was in the artic and when I woke up everyone was fighting under water. What did I miss?

Not your fault. Aquaman takes his bro to the barber half way through and its just not mentioned.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

That wasn't even the part I mentioned. 🙃 I woke up during the fight that Mera got injured.

Manta found the Black Trident and was breaking into Atlantis to steal some green chemical, can’t remember the name of it lol. But yea they did a heist on Atlantis and that’s what caused the battle when Topo sounded the alarms. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Yeah, end your movie with a guy eating a cockroach. What a metaphor for DCEU quality control there.

not really a metaphor of anything. You are really thinking too much into it.

Was a funny tease and the audience in both my screenings ate it up.

9 hours ago, Super said:

Manta found the Black Trident and was breaking into Atlantis to steal some green chemical, can’t remember the name of it lol. But yea they did a heist on Atlantis and that’s what caused the battle when Topo sounded the alarms. 

Orichalcum

• Like 1

A mess that was clearly the result of a turbulent production full of reshoots and rewrites. While the first movie actually had quite a bit of personality, an aura of "we only made this for the money" pervades this follow-up (and unplanned finale to the now defunct DCEU). The cast (even Jason Momoa) appears to be going through the motions, while even the action sequences come off as perfunctory at best. There's some cool visuals, but Avatar: The Way of Water really has just set an impossibly high standard for CGI underwater worlds in movies going forward.

Here's to James Gunn hopefully having much better luck at delivering a much more exciting DC universe than this largely disappointing one that was never able to fully live up to its potential.

C-