filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

Got a feeling this year the Oscar halo effect would be stronger. Last year the bump was terrible (terrible sub-300 PTA) outside of one surprise bump like EEAAO. 

Poor Things                         Searchlight Pictures 2,300    1,410   +890
American Fiction Amazon Studios 1,702    850  +852
The Holdovers Focus Features 1,267 127   +1,140
Oppenheimer Universal Pictures 1,262 254  +1,008
Killers of the Flower Moon Paramount Pictures 941 16 +925

As for A24 titles, Past Lives also coming back to 320 theaters, Zone of interest expanded to 300+. Anatomy of Fall come back to 350 theaters. No number for Barbie. The bump is irrelevant for Maestro. 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Got a feeling this year the Oscar halo effect would be stronger. Last year the bump was terrible (terrible sub-300 PTA) outside of one surprise bump like EEAAO. 

Poor Things                         Searchlight Pictures 2,300    1,410   +890
American Fiction Amazon Studios 1,702    850  +852
The Holdovers Focus Features 1,267 127   +1,140
Oppenheimer Universal Pictures 1,262 254  +1,008
Killers of the Flower Moon Paramount Pictures 941 16 +925

As for A24 titles, Past Lives also coming back to 320 theaters, Zone of interest expanded to 300+. Anatomy of Fall come back to 350 theaters. No number for Barbie. The bump is irrelevant for Maestro. 

Prob helps that Oscar noms got wayyyy more traction this year than last

9 hours ago, eeetooki said:

I guarantee you the majority of Barbie fans out there haven't watched Greta's previous works lol I am not saying she doesn't have a fanbase but most of those complaining probably only watched one or two movies this year and have no idea how the academy works.

I mean isn’t that just implied by one of the highest grossing movies of all time $1.4b Barbie vs 250m combined gross of her other 4 films or whatever? Lol. Again, of course more people will be mad at such big snubs for such a massive movie. 

Opp ticks all the Acadmey boxes, had the Nolan was robbed multiple times narrative (which is true), Nolan’s ever rabid fanbase, and was massive as well. Like I said, backlash will be even worse if it loses the cats its frontrunner in. I can guarantee a lot of  casuals who don’t normally pay attention definitely think Nolan is “owed” those awards. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean isn’t that just implied by one of the highest grossing movies of all time $1.4b Barbie vs 250m combined gross of her other 4 films or whatever? Lol. Again, of course more people will be mad at such big snubs for such a massive movie. 

Opp ticks all the Acadmey boxes, had the Nolan was robbed multiple times narrative (which is true), Nolan’s ever rabid fanbase, and was massive as well. Like I said, backlash will be even worse if it loses the cats its frontrunner in. I can guarantee a lot of  casuals who don’t normally pay attention definitely think Nolan is “owed” those awards. 

Even as a Nolan fan I am prepping myself not to have my hopes up high too much so I don't get disappointed. The academy always have surprises, who knows if the voters will love Oppenheimer. And if a big chunk of the academy members behave like this anonymous ballot:

https://insessionfilm.com/op-ed-anonymous-oscar-ballot-1-an-insession-film-exclusive/

Then we are in for a disappointment. I am definitely getting off internet if that happens lol I am guessing this year's Oscars view numbers are going to be really great with the Barbieheimer hype. Twitter will probably explode if something surprising happens.

Edited by eeetooki
add
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anatomy of a Fall seems to have a lot of Academy support based on the noms. Possible they also take the Gerwig backlash and run with awarding the sole woman in the cat 

The average Oscar voter isn't paying attention to any of this

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I saw Holdovers today and I am not sure how Giamatti is going to beat Murphy. I feel Murphy has to win this one. 

Murphy is my choice too, but given the praise Giamatti has received I can see why he’s seen as the main competitor. He also has the “overdue for an Oscar” angle that could help him too.

49 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I saw Holdovers today and I am not sure how Giamatti is going to beat Murphy. I feel Murphy has to win this one. 

I agree. But narratives are a thing...and he's trying very hard to campaign, so who knows.

I saw American Fiction this afternoon and aside from Domingo (only because I haven't seen Rustin but he's always great so I'm sure it's a worthy performance) this is a pretty strong Actor lineup made up entirely of faves of mine.

Also:

I'm now three episodes into The Curse. A sign that a Nolan/Stone collaboration is his next movie? :wub:

16 hours ago, eeetooki said:

I agree. But narratives are a thing...and he's trying very hard to campaign, so who knows.

WDYM campaigning? Giammati just likes making sure he's photographed getting a burger after winning at an awards show, because he's such regular guy!

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

Also:

I'm now three episodes into The Curse. A sign that a Nolan/Stone collaboration is his next movie? :wub:

I remember him saying how much he liked La La Land a few years back. But Stone seems to have a lot of creative control in her projects lately, plus Nolan's reputation for writing his female characters is not the best. Maybe his next movie will be to prove those critics wrong.

• Haha 1

doing my first post-noms predicts, before the guilds and stuff chime in with winners.

Picture: Oppenheimer

Director: Christopher Nolan

Actor: Paul Giamatti

Actress: Emma Stone

Supporting Actor: RDJ

Supporting Actress: Da'vine Joy Randolph

Original Screenplay: Anatomy of a Fall

Adapted Screenplay: Oppenheimer

Animated Feature: Spider-Verse

International: Zone of Interest

Documentary: 20 Days in Mariupol

Score: Oppenheimer