filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I like Emily Blunt, but why are people hating on America Ferrera when Emily had even less to do

Ferrera's nomination reminds me of Angella Bassett

I think they both just kinda pop in one scene. Some people don't like America Ferrera's big scene though. I didn't mind it personally.

Plus Blunt I think is someone people have been wanting to see nominated for a long time so they'll take what they can get. 

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

I do think Heron has the upper hand with the academy but definitely don't think it's a lock. It's just a matter of where the balance of support is ultimately.

I don't really know how you'd tell. My gut says Heron will win the Oscar though.

• Like 1

Finally saw Iron Claw; add me to the “Efron snubbed” chorus line. Idk if he hit any precursors so maybe it was always just a faint hope. Ideal Best Actor lineup would prolly be Murphy, Giamatti, Efron, Wright and Keoghan imo

And on the topic of bias… oof. I thought we were progressing with them with that finally, but noms like the Nyad upsets show how much we really aren’t (Bening should high key be banned from a nomination unless her work is truly exceptional and spoiler it rarely ever is).

This year’s noms are wildly disappointing on the whole. Like great for Triet, but of course it had to be at the expense of Gerwig bc they can’t possibly have 2 women in that cat. The horror! 

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Finally saw Iron Claw; add me to the “Efron snubbed” chorus line. Idk if he hit any precursors so maybe it was always just a faint hope. Ideal Best Actor lineup would prolly be Murphy, Giamatti, Efron, Wright and Keoghan imo

He didn't, the movie just never caught on especially when A24 had bigger priorities. Wouldn't even give it the "This Had Oscar Buzz" label either, that should only be reserved for the floppiest of awards bait flops and not for movies that earned good reviews and/or some nominations here and there but which awards were never the point.

The Iron Claw is sort of indicative of the problem of the power festivals hold over the awards race. It started screening for critics/awards pundits at the end of November and by then those people had already made up their mind what was getting nominated so there were a lot of people saying stuff like "it's great what a shame it was too late" when there was still a whole month of the year left.

• Like 9

I can’t believe I said they wouldn’t dare nominate Gosling while snubbing both Gerwig and Robbie months ago given the ENTIRE POINT of the movie, and here we are…. 

They should have left it out of BP too, it’s obviously just there bc they felt obligated, not bc they actually got it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I was today years old when I realized that the Mission: Impossible franchise had a total of zero Oscar nominations heading into this morning. I thought that surely one of them had to have squeaked in for a random sound nomination at some point.

I still have to see American Fiction (would have gone this weekend, but the weather only fully cooperated for one day and I spent it on Poor Things) and The Zone of Interest, but otherwise, that's a pretty damn good Best Picture lineup. Of the eight I've seen, Maestro is the only one not in my personal top 10 for the year. I'm especially happy that Past Lives squeaked in and will hopefully now get to enjoy a higher profile.

FWIW I do think The Iron Claw might've done at least TIFF if the strikes hadn't happened even with A24 having their hands full with other movies in Q4 (they gave Priscilla and Dream Scenario major festival launches in the fall as well and those ended up going no further than the Golden Globes). I know they were able to secure a promotion agreement from SAG-AFTRA but it was probably too late by that point. At least it's done pretty well for itself at the box office.

50 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't really know how you'd tell. My gut says Heron will win the Oscar though.

I almost don’t even want it to at this point, their bias against the medium makes me so angry. Give it to Elemental and let them prove to everyone once and for all how much they don’t care about animation and are irritated to be bothered with it at all with a whole whopping cat. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I almost don’t even want it to at this point, their bias against the medium makes me so angry. Give it to Elemental and let them prove to everyone once and for all how much they don’t care about animation and are irritated to be bothered with it at all with a whole whopping cat. 

Yes please, an act of Clod 😇

The never-ending redemption story

Edited by Speedorito

I do find it funny the Oscars nominated the two biggest movies of the year last year and two of the top three this year. For years all those articles and takes about how the Oscars need to recognise popular movies, all basically meaning Marvel movies. And as soon as Marvel aren't on top anymore the Oscars go straight back to nominating the biggest movies lol.

• Like 3

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

I do find it funny the Oscars nominated the two biggest movies of the year last year and two of the top three this year. For years all those articles and takes about how the Oscars need to recognise popular movies, all basically meaning Marvel movies. And as soon as Marvel aren't on top anymore the Oscars go straight back to nominating the biggest movies lol.

I for one will miss the “does this movie have a shot at a best picture nom” discourse on here every time an MCU movie came out 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric George said:

What'd she do to you lol

Never seen a performance from her that wasn’t wildly mundane. And we all know she has a major presence in the Academy. Admittedly I’m surprised they waited this long for another nom for her, but there was zero buzz around her performance and it didn’t even really get pushed. Yet she still gets into a competitive field at the expense of some very worthy performances bc it’s her in a super Academy baity role. I’m just over that kinda bias from them in 2024. 

Lily Gladstone has really been carrying KOTFM. Most of the buzz died quickly once the film went wide and people actually saw it.

Honestly, if the Academy didn’t know Scorsese directed the film, she probably would’ve been the film’s only nomination.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Lily Gladstone has really been carrying KOTFM. Most of the buzz died quickly once the film went wide and people actually saw it.

Honestly, if the Academy didn’t know Scorsese directed the film, she probably would’ve been the film’s only nomination.

Agreed it would have completely collapsed in awards season if she hadn’t maintained frontrunner status. 

20 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Somebody on Twitter a few months ago brought up an interesting point that the typical midbudget prestige Oscar bait stuff that typically dominated the categories starting with the Weinsteins has lost a lot of prominence post-COVID. Part of it because they are typically bought up by streaming services, another part because these kinds of movies are now 6-part limited series on Peacock. The Imitation Game would have for sure been a Hulu miniseries if it was greenlit today.

This basically means, apart from a Maestro or CODA here and there, the Best Picture noms are now typically either the biggest movies of the year, or weird and idiosyncratic fare from A24 and Neon. Like it's still surreal a movie like Drive My Car even got nominated.