AniNate

Best Picture predictions 2024

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The Room's Next door is getting in BP after wining Venice. The Academy loves Almodovar, he last win was over 20 years ago and since then his movies have been under their radar like Parallel Mother got three nominations.

Sony Classics usually gets a movie in every couple of years too (over the 15 years since the BP expansion beyond five nominees they've had six movies nominated for the top prize) so they know how to campaign when they have a contender on their hands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Sony Classics usually gets a movie in every couple of years too (over the 15 years since the BP expansion beyond five nominees they've had six movies nominated for the top prize) so they know how to campaign when they have a contender on their hands.

But still I doubt this movie will win the final prize, judging from the reception. It will just be another SC kind of there nominees. I felt so bad for SC, their contemporary like searchlight, dreamworks and Weinstein all had their prime with multiple BP winners. And newer independent studio like A24 and neon too. Sony classic never had their moment after >30 years in business, focus feature have similar fate too. 

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think things seem to be lining up very nicely for Anora right now. Seems an easy frontrunner which is weird to say about a Sean Baker stripper comedy but nothing else is as convincing to me at the moment.

Anora got the Parasite Palme/People's Choice Placement double, only other one of the last ten years to do that.

I don't think it's a boring year at all tbh, lots of mystery and unpredictability is good and I am excited for the fall/winter slate. Shrugs!

• Like 1

Yeah, it's more fun when it's unpredictable. Kind of would prefer an "everything's up for grabs" season over one in which we have one movie that seems destined to steamroll like when it became obvious early on that La La Land was going to win every top prize in its path (until it didn't at the very end lol).

Edited by filmlover

Yeah

I agree that this year is a very unpredictable race, and it's fun. Anyways, the race lacks a strong popular candidate. Right now, from the contenders, only Dune 2 looks like a true BO hit.

From the ones already seen, strong contenders:

Anora

Brutalist

Conclave

Dune 2

Emilia Perez

Life of Chuck

Room Next Door

Sing Sing

In contention:

Challengers

Civil War

Nickel Boys

Substance

The Seed of the Sacred Fig

Babygirl

Not seen but strong on paper:

A Complete Unknown

Blitz

Gladiator 2

Here

Juror #2

Do I miss something?

11 hours ago, stripe said:

Yeah

I agree that this year is a very unpredictable race, and it's fun. Anyways, the race lacks a strong popular candidate. Right now, from the contenders, only Dune 2 looks like a true BO hit.

From the ones already seen, strong contenders:

Anora

Brutalist

Conclave

Dune 2

Emilia Perez

Life of Chuck

Room Next Door

Sing Sing

In contention:

Challengers

Civil War

Nickel Boys

Substance

The Seed of the Sacred Fig

Babygirl

Not seen but strong on paper:

A Complete Unknown

Blitz

Gladiator 2

Here

Juror #2

Do I miss something?

I'd say Queer, Maria, and Piano Lesson all have acting contenders. Outside chance Nosferatu is really great too, highly doubt it gets in unless it's just incredible. All We Imagine As Light might be hanging around as much as Sacred Fig is. Saturday Night is taking lots of Ls so far on the trail but reception is good enough that if it makes money at the box office it could be boomer catnip.