Eric the IF

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

A streaming film that should be released in theaters is Beverly Hills Cop 4. Trailer is getting great viewing numbers and the original shot to the top ten in Netflix after that trailer released 

After a year where most nostalgia tentpoles either underperformed or bombed, that one is best suited for Netflix. People won't pay up for them anymore, but they'll be happy to watch it on a service at home that they're most likely already subscribed to beforehand. I feel like Beverly Hills Cop 4 wouldn't do all that much better than, say, My Greek Wedding 3. It'd be lucky to even make half as much as The Flash.

Speaking of streaming vs film, the new Dong Lover Mr. & Mrs. Smith is really great. If anyone wanted to see a spy rom-com this weekend, they’d probably just stay home and watch that, haha. 

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

TIMOTHEE SUPREMACY

Is it just me, or has this film developed some impressive late staying power? Last month we were doubting if it'd cross $200M. Now, not only did it cross that, but it's still making nearly $5M on a weekend a month and a half into its run. I wonder where it'll ultimately end up in the end. Great for both Paul King and Little Timmy though, and they'll likely return to Warner in the future as long as Zsasz reigns himself in. Let's see how many tickets your husbando sells next month.

15 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

After a year where most nostalgia tentpoles either underperformed or bombed, that one is best suited for Netflix. People won't pay up for them anymore, but they'll be happy to watch it on a service at home that they're most likely already subscribed to beforehand. I feel like Beverly Hills Cop 4 wouldn't do all that much better than, say, My Greek Wedding 3. It'd be lucky to even make half as much as The Flash.

I also imagine that people aren't keen to take a risk on Eddie Murphy in theatres. Coming 2 America being a big disappointment didn't help.

15 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

Aquaman had the box office run people thought Color Purple would have and vice versa. Got to say, Color Purple behaving like a horror movie in terms of legs was crazy.

13 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I also imagine that people aren't keen to take a risk on Eddie Murphy in theatres. Coming 2 America being a big disappointment didn't help.

Would it have been seen as such a disappointment if people didnt overpraise Dolemite

45 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Is it just me, or has this film developed some impressive late staying power? Last month we were doubting if it'd cross $200M. Now, not only did it cross that, but it's still making nearly $5M on a weekend a month and a half into its run. I wonder where it'll ultimately end up in the end. Great for both Paul King and Little Timmy though, and they'll likely return to Warner in the future as long as Zsasz reigns himself in. Let's see how many tickets your husbando sells next month.

Total lack of competition is helping to float the December releases (see previously 2022 Jan & Feb)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I’d pay up for Cop 4! 
I’d happily put down the cost of a monthly Netflix sub to see it theatrically.  There’s a huge revenue stream they’re stubbornly turning their noses up at. 

Even if they put it in theatres for a couple of weeks, and fairly wide!