Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/box-office-argylle-previews-1235892130/

Argylle” is looking to ascend the box office charts this weekend.

Matthew Vaughn’s latest film, a star-studded action comedy about a spy novelist, opened with $1.7 million in Thursday previews at the box office.

“Argylle,” which stars an avalanche of A-listers like Henry Cavill, Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Rockwell, Bryan Cranston, Dua Lipa and many more, is expected to make between $15 million and $20 million in its opening weekend. It’ll be “Mean Girl,” the musical adaptation of Tina Fey’s classic comedy, which has been ruling over the box office for the past three weeks in a quiet January.

Universal is distributing the globe-trotting spy film, and Apple produced and financed it for $200 million. For any other company, “Argylle’s” projected opening would be disastrous, but Apple’s $3 trillion market cap means it won’t be negatively affected by a poor box office showing. Just like Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon” (which opened to $23 million) and Ridley Scott’s “Napoleon” ($20.6 million opening), these Apple-backed films will generate buzz for Apple Studios and the Apple TV+ streaming service.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Eric Argylle said:

Yikes. Keys in the Tracking thread was still holding out hopes for 2m.  Thats 250K higher than Knock at the Cabin which did 14.1m over the same weekend last year.

February is looking like a graveyard at the box office.  Under, 400m for the month is a lock. Just brutal.

All pieces are falling in place for DUNC II breakout. Tired of shit and Oscar nominees, audience will welcome the first spectacle of the year. It will be an event.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Feels like Argylle would be lucky to hit $13M with how downright radioactive a good number of the initial GA reactions are from the Thursday previews. Not even really winning over the people who were willing to see it that early after holding their eyes open for the same trailer over the course of the last 4-5 months is a big time yikes. 

Edited by Wombat

At this rate, Argylle might not even make it past Kingsman 1's unadjusted opening weekend for its domestic total, and with well over two times the budget....yeesh.

The advance screening I went to on Tuesday seemed into it, but those crowds are always more energetic so take it with a grain of salt amidst the sea of bad reviews and already rough WOM, especially since maybe it's anecdotal, but the big twist is being revealed pretty openly at least by the people I follow lmfao.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can’t get over how unfathomably stupid that film was, from start to finish. Truly lost some brain cells last night. And the half-sold Century City crowd was laughing at the film at the end. Group of 30-somethings behind me called it the worst film they’ve ever seen as the credits started rolling, and in the moment I couldn’t disagree.

”The real Agent Argylle” is gonna be a juicy meme this year. As in the phrase  itself.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

At this rate, Argylle might not even make it past Kingsman 1's unadjusted opening weekend for its domestic total, and with well over two times the budget....yeesh.

The advance screening I went to on Tuesday seemed into it, but those crowds are always more energetic so take it with a grain of salt amidst the sea of bad reviews and already rough WOM, especially since maybe it's anecdotal, but the big twist is being revealed pretty openly at least by the people I follow lmfao.

I can't believe people just revealed Mickey Rooney was the real Agent Argylle just like that. What is wrong with our spoiler culture?

26 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

"Strong" must be Giteshese for "meh," because one year ago Chosen's Season 3 Finale premiered with $1.667 M on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2023 in 1731 theaters. S4 Eps 1-3's Thursday is down 15% from last year's Thursday number at more theaters (2236, according to Deadline). 

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

Curious to see who will finish at the second place between Mean Girls, Migration , Beekeeper , The Chosen and Wonka, i think it's more interesting than Argylle Numbers ( because it knows that it's bad) .

PS : i think Beekeeper will finish in second place and The Chosen in 3rd Place

Edited by Grand Cine

5 minutes ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

"Strong" must be Giteshese for "meh," because one year ago Chosen's Season 3 Finale premiered with $1.667 M on Thursday in 1731 theaters. S4 Eps 1-3's Thursday is down 15% from last year's Thursday number at more theaters (2236, according to Deadline). 

TBF according to Box office Mojo the season 3 finale was only 100 minutes long, while Eps 1-3 were 207 minutes long. The runtime will probably push a lot of business to the weekend.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Group of 30-somethings behind me called it the worst film they’ve ever seen as the credits started rolling, and in the moment I couldn’t disagree.

I don't believe for a second it's anywhere near that bad. But is there anything it did so outrageous in a bad way it warrants such reaction? From a trailer it looks like a crowdpleasing spy action comedy with lots of CGI and star cast, and I think I've seen some complaints about post-credit scene, but that's about it, it doesn't sound like something people would outright reject, audiences like "funny" CGI slop.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Curious to see who will finish at the third place between Mean Girls, Migration , Beekeeper and Wonka, i think it's more interesting than Argylle Numbers ( because it knows that it's bad) . Curious to see the OW for The Chosen

PS : i think Beekeeper will finish in the podium

I have Migration edging out Beekeper, which should take a bit of a hit from Argylle. Nothing else really for families, as dads emerge from their football mancaves for the weekend. Had a better Wed then Sing 2, only down 5% from week before 

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

I have Migration edging out Beekeper, which should take a bit of a hit from Argylle. Nothing else really for families, as dads emerge from their football mancaves for the weekend. Had a better Wed then Sing 2, only down 5% from week before 

I think the % drop that the movie have this thursday will be better for the weekend , i think Friday Jump will be a little better than last week, Saturday Jump a little lower but Sunday will be much better than last week ( around 35% drop against a 50% last week)