Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

1 hour ago, M37 said:

I was pretty meh on it by name only, but it’s a good trailer, and I could see it hitting the right notes with audiences and doing much better than my on paper expectations 

Godzilla x Kong will save theaters, just like Godzilla vs Kong saved them back in 2021.

• Astonished 1

April is lacking in any clear big hit like past Aprils but it does have a surplus of films I think can do solid adult business and be good, so that's something. Overall gross for that month is going to be hella low but it could have a few nice stories.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

April is lacking in any clear big hit like past Aprils but it does have a surplus of films I think can do solid adult business and be good, so that's something. Overall gross for that month is going to be hella low but it could have a few nice stories.

Really pulling for Monkey Man and The Guy Ritchie /Henry Cavill movie with the really long title. They both have their ceilings but hope they can hit them at least. 

6.5 Friday for Argylle seems much more walkup-friendly than I was expecting based on WOM. Good sign I guess(?) although it’ll crash and burn next weekend with the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dallas said:

Argylle did not cost $200M to make, Apple bought the rights to the movie for that much. 

They still spent that money, regardless. They don't spend money for nothing. They need to make cash back, and this ain't doing it. 

Lisa Frankenstein has "flop in theaters but future cult hit on the home market" written all over it. Jennifer's Body 2.0, basically.

But yeah, awful February coming up. Alarming that both a comic book movie with Spider-Man ties and a biopic about an iconic artist open in less than two weeks and it feels like no one is talking about them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I'm here for the Wonka dailies surpassing the Mean Girls dailies. 🙃

Wonka should hit 200 million today or tomorrow becoming the first movie in 6 months almost exactly to do it. Oppenheimer crossed 200 m on Aug 4.   It really will be Timmy's world if Dune 2 can do it also. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

The Deadline article really breaks down how poorly Apple’s venture into theatrical releases is going. I was rooting for Argylle to be a “fun” film or “so bad it’s good” film, but on some level it’s nice to know that even a tech company as big as Apple can’t speedrun its way into being a major film studio.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/box-office-argylle-1235812281/

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Lisa Frankenstein has "flop in theaters but future cult hit on the home market" written all over it. Jennifer's Body 2.0, basically.

They were trying to replicate (or at least approach) the success of previous undead romance releasing on Super Bowl weekend Warm Bodies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

The Deadline article really breaks down how poorly Apple’s venture into theatrical releases is going. I was rooting for Argylle to be a “fun” film or “so bad it’s good” film, but on some level it’s nice to know that even a tech company as big as Apple can’t speedrun its way into being a major film studio.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/box-office-argylle-1235812281/

Then there was the $80M period movie The Aeronauts, starring Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne, which was made and intended for Imax, but got short shrifted to a truncated short window theatrical release and pivot to Prime Video. At the end of the day, it was decided that that the administration’s output wasn’t profitable or sticky enough for the brand. The point is: Don’t tell me tech companies don’t look at bottom lines.

I'm glad someone remembers this example. 

As far as Univeral, I hear it’s a distribution deal in the sense that they get around an 8% fee of the box office. Chances are, Uni isn’t going to collect that. I hear Universal is on the hook for 50% of this $80M marketing campaign (which has Vaughn’s heavy fingerprints on it), and that the studio collects back what it’s owed in marketing from the box office before it collects a distribution fee. All these Apple distribution deals work differently. In certain cases, some studios get a guaranteed distribution fee, even if the movie buckles at the B.O.

I'm not sure why they're refusing to say that both Napoleon and Killers got this but it's been reported elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I love that "zombie romance" is now a genre, somehow.

The genre somewhat makes sense, as horror (including zombies) skews towards younger women, who also are the majority audience for romance films. It’s complimented by horror comedy/action (think Zombieland) which tends to bring a male-heavy audience 

Pride, Prejudice and Zombies also was a SB weekend release (prob the better comp for Lisa Frankenstein)

13 minutes ago, M37 said:

The genre somewhat makes sense, as horror (including zombies) skews towards younger women, who also are the majority audience for romance films. It’s complimented by horror comedy/action (think Zombieland) which tends to bring a male-heavy audience 

Pride, Prejudice and Zombies also was a SB weekend release (prob the better comp for Lisa Frankenstein)

Zombies also feel like a natural offshoot from vampire romance.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, AN9815 said:

Just cause I am bored and February looks so bad for the box office, some predictions for the movies in March (OW/DOM): 

Dune: Part II - $78m/ $225m

Kung Fu Panda 4 - $43m / $146m

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - $35m / $92m

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire - $51m / $110m

Dune: 170

Kung Fu Panda: 160

Ghostbusters: 85

GxK: 90