Eric Duncan

Dune: Part Two (2024)

Dune: Part Two (2024)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

Definitely an incredible theatrical experience.  More changes from the book than I anticipated.  Some of them were kind of obvious and made sense, like the abbreviated timeline and absence of Alia as an articulate toddler, but some of them were less ideal.  Chani not riding with Paul at the end was the most egregious for me, as it makes the plot of Messiah a little awkward.  The great houses rejecting Paul's ascendancy and that being the catalyst of the Jihad is weird because it makes them seem like political fanatics instead of religious fanatics.

Ultimately, only mildly annoying when compared to how great the rest of the movie is.

A+.  Would recommend.

I think Chani leaving at the happened because they're planning to play around with the Chani vs Irulan dynamics in Messiah to a greater extent than what happened in the books, the issue is the time skip, so either she'll return during the time skip (which would be an incredibly weird way to solve such a big plot point) or they're planning to have her return during a dramatically appropriate moment in Messiah (and then they need to give her enough time for it to make sense...), or maybe there's just no time skip again, somehow.

• Like 1

Huh. Well I liked it alot better than the first, and it was flirting with masterpiece status for awhile - but did they leave a scene on the cutting room floor or something? Paul's heel turn goes from gradual to full blown so fast it barely makes sense. From "we must go to the South" to full blown baddie with one drink that we don't even see the results of? Needed a three minute scene explaining his mindset or something. Without it....I don't know how I felt, honestly.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Huh. Well I liked it alot better than the first, and it was flirting with masterpiece status for awhile - but did they leave a scene on the cutting room floor or something? Paul's heel turn goes from gradual to full blown so fast it barely makes sense. From "we must go to the South" to full blown baddie with one drink that we don't even see the results of? Needed a three minute scene explaining his mindset or something. Without it....I don't know how I felt, honestly.

They cut out a lot from the book and in the novel he doesn't come off this villainous. So your confusion is valid.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

The attack on Sietch Tabr is where he changes.  He decides he needs to be proactive.

6 minutes ago, ZackM said:

The attack on Sietch Tabr is where he changes.  He decides he needs to be proactive.

That seemed to be the setup, but itould have been great to have even a mild explanation of why he goes from reluctant and conflicted to totally bought in with no gradient.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZackM said:

But he's still himself at that point. Once he gains total prescience from drinking the water of life is when we see a real change in him. "We're Harkonnens.  So this is how we'll survive. By being Harkonnens." Because he can see all the possible futures he realizes that the only way for them to come out on top is to embrace their manipulative villainous side. In the novel Paul still feels conflicted about what he must do but we don't get that in the movie at all. After that point in the film we're no longer privy to his thought process. We only see him through the eyes of his followers and Chani.

Edited by DInky

19 minutes ago, DInky said:

But he's still himself at that point. Once he gains total prescience from drinking the water of life is when we see a real change in him. "We're Harkonnens.  So this is how we'll survive. By being Harkonnens." Because he can see all the possible futures he realizes that the only way for them to come out on top is to embrace their manipulative villainous side. In the novel Paul still feels conflicted about what he must do but we don't get that in the movie at all. After that point in the film we're no longer privy to his thought process. We only see him through the eyes of his followers and Chani.

That's the point where he changes his own path though.  He has consciously avoided going South and drinking the Water of Life until that moment.  He already knows what that means, even before he gains total prescience.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I thought the movie looked amazing and was really into it but his turn I honestly didnt get.  

Edit: I still give the film an A.  Imax was great.

Edited by JimmyB

On 2/28/2024 at 4:01 PM, DInky said:

So where the movie departs from the book is when the other great houses refuse to accept Paul's ascendancy to the throne.

I mean, Messiah does say that the Fremen fought against allied forces of the Great Houses. Not to mention, the encyclopedia says there were houses that revolted against Paul overthrowing House Corrino.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:23 PM, ZackM said:

The great houses rejecting Paul's ascendancy and that being the catalyst of the Jihad is weird because it makes them seem like political fanatics instead of religious fanatics.

I think to the Fremen, it's less of "they are rejecting Muad'Dib as Emperor" and more of "they are rejecting the Messiah as the rightful leader/ruler of mankind (titles and politics aside)."

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think it's a fair critique. I mean it makes sense that total precognition / communing with your ancestors would change your personality somewhat, but it's...very sharp. 

If i didn't get wrong villenueve decide to split the final battle on the First book in two parts? So the next movie will have a strong start with a Battle against the other houses? Paul will win and their gonna accept him going to the point the dune novel ends. 

Basically a way to have an opening for the next movie. 

What about hawat? He's gonna use him or we're not gonna see him anymore?

Even if the movie is strong in terms of plots he left Paul sister birth for the next movie too. I think the next movie will open with a part with a battle against the houses, paul marriage and the birth of her sister and It will show also the holy wars around the universe (something it's not "showed" in the books but only talked about).

Then It's gonna move 12 years after with the plot of the next novel.

Edited by vale9001

49 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

If i didn't get wrong villenueve decide to split the final battle on the First book in two parts? So the next movie will have a strong start with a Battle against the other houses? Paul will win and their gonna accept him going to the point the dune novel ends. 

Basically a way to have an opening for the next movie. 

What about hawat? He's gonna use him or we're not gonna see him anymore?

Even if the movie is strong in terms of plots he left Paul sister birth for the next movie too. I think the next movie will open with a part with a battle against the houses, paul marriage and the birth of her sister and It will show also the holy wars around the universe (something it's not "showed" in the books but only talked about).

Then It's gonna move 12 years after with the plot of the next novel.

Really don't think that conflict will be determined by a single battle. At the end of the film Paul unleashes the war that will kill billions. The movies are going their own way with this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DInky said:

Really don't think that conflict will be determined by a single battle. At the end of the film Paul unleashes the war that will kill billions. The movies are going their own way with this.

It's possible. A lot of people complained the first movie didn't really showed anything about the political system and any member from the houses, the spacing guild etc.. was showed like in the book but now we can see it is a very good idea. It build around them a sort of cult and mistery and made people interested to see them in the last villenuve movie (as It was for the emperor with the second movie).

At the end of the movie some of my friends don't know the saga were fascinated by the idea of these "houses" coming in the story in the future.

Edited by vale9001