Dune: Part Two (2024)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

7 hours ago, Joel M said:

yeah I don't think we need all that. As a non-book reader the spice to me is just space oil. Makes cars go but also you can sniff it.

Right there with you. As a non book reader my eyes glaze over at all that stuff

6 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

How do we know Paul is a false prophet and not the Messiah the Fremen were waiting?

Paul and Jessica drank the water of life and didn't die so that adds to the credibility of Paul being the Messiah.

The Bene Gesserit have the ability to transmute poison. Presumably, all Reverand Mothers on Arakkis drink it and hope they don't die.

Watched it again yesterday and had a much better theatrical experience this time. Better seat, better screen, better edible. Movie holds up fantastically on rewatch, still an A+

Some random thoughts:

In the beginning when the Harkonnen soldiers are being sniped on top of the hill and one of them says to use their shields, why does the other soldier say no? Seems like the right move.

Both times I watched it, for a brief second I thought the harknonnen bodies lying in the desert were crash test dummies. They're so pale.

Stilgar's "of course the Lisan al Gaib is humble!" moment got a big laugh both times. Javier Bardem doing the literal "mind-blown" gesture is so funny. He's great this whole movie. I thought he was underused the first one but I see they had a plan for him.

The harvester attack would make a great encounter in a video game.

Dune Dune Part 2 GIF - Dune Dune Part 2 Feyd Rautha GIFs

^How do you not root for this guy in this moment?

Austin Butler and Lea Seydoux lowkey have better chemistry than Chalamet and Zendaya

Speaking of Chalamet, his performance gets so much better after he drinks the water of life and gets some bass in his voice. I'm so over the whisper talking that's so prevelant now

Loved Lady Jessica's villainous turn. Al her scenes using where she uses the voice are so menacing.

All in all I'm just obsessed with this movie. I had a similar experience with the first one but this one is even more captivating. I think I'm going to start reading the books, I was on Quora and Reddit finding out more about the story and world and it's really fascinating. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Watched it again yesterday and had a much better theatrical experience this time. Better seat, better screen, better edible. Movie holds up fantastically on rewatch, still an A+

Some random thoughts:

In the beginning when the Harkonnen soldiers are being sniped on top of the hill and one of them says to use their shields, why does the other soldier say no? Seems like the right move.

Shields make worms go nuts, even if they managed to survive the fremen's surprise attack they'd be worm food right after.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Shields make worms go nuts, even if they managed to survive the fremen's surprise attack they'd be worm food right after.

Not mentioned in the movie but also if a laser gun shot hits a shield the result is a mini-nuke explosion 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

How do we know Paul is a false prophet and not the Messiah the Fremen were waiting?

Paul and Jessica drank the water of life and didn't die so that adds to the credibility of Paul being the Messiah.

There is no real Messiah because there is no real prophecy. The Bene Gesserict crafted it so that it could be used by the candidate of their choosing in due time. Paul was capable of passing those trials because he was trained to do so by someone who already knew what he would need to fulfill the prophecy to begin with.

It was always simply a story the Bene Gesserict seeded onto the Fremen to manipulate them when the time came. That it backfired and was used by a different party instead is merely coincidental.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

There is no real Messiah because there is no real prophecy. The Bene Gesserict crafted it so that it could be used by the candidate of their choosing in due time. Paul was capable of passing those trials because he was trained to do so by someone who already knew what he would need to fulfill the prophecy to begin with.

It was always simply a story the Bene Gesserict seeded onto the Fremen to manipulate them when the time came. That it backfired and was used by a different party instead is merely coincidental.

The fact that the prophecy has been invented as tool made to manipulate people does not make it not true. Paul is using psyops, and is also the messiah. Accept the duality.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

The fact that the prophecy has been invented as tool made to manipulate people does not make it not true. Paul is using psyops, and is also the messiah. Accept the duality.

Let's say a time machine is invented. Now let's say its creator goes back in time and spreads a prophecy about a man who will one day invent a time machine. Does that make him a Messiah?

Edited by JustLurking

14 hours ago, von Kenni said:

But it is a beautiful and timeless ending

OH, I 1000% agree. BUt a lot of people, frankly, do not like tragic endings.I could not disagree more, but that is the fact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Let's say a time machine is invented. Now let's say its creator goes back in time and spreads a prophecy about a man who will one day invent a time machine. Does that make him a Messiah?

If according to that prophecy that is the only condition to becoming the Messiah, sure, he'd be the Messiah to the religion that follows that specific prophecy.

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Thank you for your analysis. I would like to push back on something.

Paul was capable of passing those trials because he was trained to do so by someone who already knew what he would need to fulfill the prophecy to begin with.

The fact that he was trained doesn't mean that he would pass the tests. Also we know from both movies that Bene Gesserit mixed bloodlines for generations in order to find the one (the chosen one). Paul successfully passing the tests indicates that he is the Messiah, Chosen one or whatever you wanna call him. 😄

Edited by stephanos13

33 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Thank you for your analysis. I would like to push back on something.

Paul was capable of passing those trials because he was trained to do so by someone who already knew what he would need to fulfill the prophecy to begin with.

The fact that he was trained doesn't mean that he would pass the tests. Also we know from both movies that Bene Gesserit mixed bloodlines for generations in order to find the one (the chosen one). Paul successfully passing the tests indicates that he is the Messiah, Chosen one or whatever you wanna call him. 😄

The Kwisatz Haderach and the Lisan al Gaib are not the same thing.  The Bene Gesserit plant prophesies all over the universe so that they can be exploited in times of need.  Many Bene Gesserit could successfully fulfill the prophecies (and many have).  The events of Dune are special because it's a perfect storm of Paul being the Kwisatz Haderach, Paul and his mother needing to exploit the Fremen because the rest of their family has been murdered, and the Fremen being the greatest fighting force the universe has ever seen.

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

The Kwisatz Haderach and the Lisan al Gaib are not the same thing.  The Bene Gesserit plant prophesies all over the universe so that they can be exploited in times of need.  Many Bene Gesserit could successfully fulfill the prophecies (and many have).  The events of Dune are special because it's a perfect storm of Paul being the Kwisatz Haderach, Paul and his mother needing to exploit the Fremen because the rest of their family has been murdered, and the Fremen being the greatest fighting force the universe has ever seen.

The relationship between Paul and the Fremen is a lot more complex than "exploitation".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

The relationship between Paul and the Fremen is a lot more complex than "exploitation".

Sure.  I'm using shorthand to summarize the situation.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yeah, wanna echo on this.

In a larger context I don't either like how the story is tried to be framed in this way or talking about white saviors (more with Part 1) or such in some parts of ecosphere which in my opinion is diminishing the nuances and depth of what Herbert tried to convey and make it into a one dimensional childish modern day representation. I saw that a bit in how Chani's and Paul's relatio ship was portrayed in the film, even though I tried to remind that they both are still late teenagers with moods...but still.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

lifeofbrian.gif

Literally Stilgar the whole movie. Made for a wonderful hypeman. 

*Paul trips a branch*

Stilgar: A brilliant move! This is exactly what the Messiah would do

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No Secret that Herbert based a lot of Dune on the rise of Islam in the 6th century AD.

BTW, in the novels it is made clear that Dune takes place in this Universe but over ten thousand years into the future, where "Old Earth" has become half mythical. Some the relgious terms used in the Dune universe are survivals of the languages of Old Earth//

"Jihad" and "Reverend Mother" for instnace.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

No Secret that Herbert based a lot of Dune on the rise of Islam in the 6th century AD.

BTW, in the novels it is made clear that Dune takes place in this Universe but over ten thousand years into the future, where "Old Earth" has become half mythical. Some the relgious terms used in the Dune universe are survivals of the languages of Old Earth//

"Jihad" and "Reverend Mother" for instnace.

20,000+ years in the future.  10,000 years after the Butlerian Jihad/Spacing Guild.

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1