Dune: Part Two (2024)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

The bard Gurney Halleck was done dirty. The lack of a time skip + Chani's new plot taking up so much attention really squeezed out the levity(?) in his role. I can understand why it happened but I consider it my biggest gripe with the film.

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

If Chani doesn't return to Paul in Messiah, it drastically changes not only that book but the rest of the franchise, which Legendary may still want to do without Denis.

All Chani does in Messiah is

struggle to get pregnant. Gets pregnant and dies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Persnally think chani will return , yeah she is reluctant but I think she will understand and  return . But think some tweaks will be made . She definitely won't be 100% team Paul.  Can see a scenario where she is in that  role of  trying to advice Paul and trying to tame his demons or something and probably trying to protect Paul  and unfoil whatever machinations irulan will be upto.

Had no problem with her in the film until the ending which felt tucked on . 

Adaptation chani has way more urgency  .her just becoming team Paul at the end would have been jarring and just contradicted her character.

I think Denis really has to get across Irulan's story in the next one. Paul is the villain. Not Irulan.

She endures humiliation and ostracisation for twelve years. Paul is actively trying to usurp her bloodline by getting his mistress pregnant and putting his bastards on the throne. He doesn't even try to befriend Irulan or make anything better for her. She is a Corrino so she is the enemy and that is all she is. Its incredibly politically stupid that he does what he does because Irulan has sisters who have claims to his throne. Irulan is one of Paul's greatest failures, so much so, his daughter will be the one that has to unite Atreides and Corrino by blood. Its important because their descendant will be Siona Atreides, saviour of humanity. Paul is just selfish like Jessica. He puts his feelings before anything else

I like the hint in this film that they are going to change Irulan into being a co-ruler with Paul. It never made sense she continued to be Princess rather than Empress.

Edited by Juliet

55 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Hide contents

Her getting pregnant is kind of important lol. The story has nowhere to go without the twins.

Sure but I don't think Zendaya would appreciate such a crap story.

Read some past pages here to get some sense of what's in the books and what's not. I'm glad Villeneuve turned Chani into the major Fremen character that we follow that seems to give up on Paul. It was very well executed in this film and I trust what he gonna do next with this. Shit doesn't have to be 100% what's on page to still, at its core, be true to the story and its meanings.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 9:08 PM, ZackM said:

We only get that in Part 1 when Paul's visions aren't dialed in.  In Part 2, after drinking the Water of Life, Paul says she will come to understand, he has seen it.  So from the strict standpoint of what we've been shown on screen, Chani will be with him.  But more importantly, without going into spoilers, their love and dedication to each other is the fundamental core of Messiah.  If they are not together it's simply a new story, not an adaptation of Messiah.

And that would lose me as a viewer.

Making some changes is one thing, totally throwing out the core of the book is another.

16 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Read some past pages here to get some sense of what's in the books and what's not. I'm glad Villeneuve turned Chani into the major Fremen character that we follow that seems to give up on Paul. It was very well executed in this film and I trust what he gonna do next with this. Shit doesn't have to be 100% what's on page to still, at its core, be true to the story and its meanings.

Having chiani turn on Paul wold be falst to the core of the Messiah story.

• Like 1

God, I hope VIllanueva is going to try to give Messiah a Happy ending.

The story of Paul is tragedy.Period. End of Discussion.

Edited by dudalb

On 3/4/2024 at 8:20 AM, Mojoguy said:

Also Children of Dune book exists, so Paul needs to get busy sometime.

And you have anumber of books after that.....though the one written after Herbert's death pretty much suck.

I loved the movie, I'm still haunted by it days after seeing it.

As a huge fan of the book (I have read it 6 times), I was on board with pretty much all the changes made and I really do think they serve the story being told in a cinematic format.

There's one small change that didn't sit so well with me, though, although it might be considered quite minor. It concerns the nature of Paul's threat to the Emperor and the Great Houses, to destroy Spice production by nuking the spice fields. In novel, has many of you now, he threatened to destroy the whole Sandworm lifecycle, and therefore the spice itself, by pouring Water of Life into a Pre Spice Mass. This would obviously require quite a hefty dose of exposition and lore dump to explain the exact nature of this chain reaction and I can, for that reason, understand why it was simplified. But still, the book version felt much more like universe-shattering threat than nuking the spice fields (which I reckon would drastically, but temporally, disrupt spice production, but not destroy it definitely).

Just a small gripe. I would have also love to see some glimpses of the Spacing Guild in this, but Denis knows he will doing Dune Messiah in the future, so I'm sure he's saving some of that stuff for the next movie

• Like 3

Fwiw, while I fully expect some characterization changes with a more reluctant Chani in Messiah, people expecting the plot to be entirely revolutionized for her are nuts IMO. Dune 2 made quite a few changes but the crux of the story was left more or less unchanged (with some elements being cut, some being streamlined and a few characters getting characterization changes as their role got changed a bit i.e. Chani/Jessica) so I don't really see why Messiah would go and tamper with the story in a major way now.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:
  Reveal hidden contents

But it is a beautiful and timeless ending

Enjoyed it very much but couldn’t help wondering, how does Jessica Ferguson and her little riding coach get off the worm when they get to their destination?

7 hours ago, Merkel said:

There's one small change that didn't sit so well with me, though, although it might be considered quite minor. It concerns the nature of Paul's threat to the Emperor and the Great Houses, to destroy Spice production by nuking the spice fields. In novel, has many of you now, he threatened to destroy the whole Sandworm lifecycle, and therefore the spice itself, by pouring Water of Life into a Pre Spice Mass. This would obviously require quite a hefty dose of exposition and lore dump to explain the exact nature of this chain reaction and I can, for that reason, understand why it was simplified. But still, the book version felt much more like universe-shattering threat than nuking the spice fields (which I reckon would drastically, but temporally, disrupt spice production, but not destroy it definitely).

yeah I don't think we need all that. As a non-book reader the spice to me is just space oil. Makes cars go but also you can sniff it.

On 2/28/2024 at 10:35 PM, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

ultimately, it adds to the tragedy of it all: Paul is now on the path of destruction and has betrayed Chani’s trust and love. Stilgar and the Fremen are being led by a false profit, with their faith being taken advantage of. And the universe is about to get messed up.

How do we know Paul is a false prophet and not the Messiah the Fremen were waiting?

Paul and Jessica drank the water of life and didn't die so that adds to the credibility of Paul being the Messiah.

8 hours ago, MattW said:

Enjoyed it very much but couldn’t help wondering, how does Jessica Ferguson and her little riding coach get off the worm when they get to their destination?

They slide down the tail.