Dune: Part Two (2024)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

The woman we see from the back in both movies with the Bloody dagger It's her right? 

We only get that in Part 1 when Paul's visions aren't dialed in.  In Part 2, after drinking the Water of Life, Paul says she will come to understand, he has seen it.  So from the strict standpoint of what we've been shown on screen, Chani will be with him.  But more importantly, without going into spoilers, their love and dedication to each other is the fundamental core of Messiah.  If they are not together it's simply a new story, not an adaptation of Messiah.

1 minute ago, ZackM said:

We only get that in Part 1 when Paul's visions aren't dialed in.  In Part 2, after drinking the Water of Life, Paul says she will come to understand, he has seen it.  So from the strict standpoint of what we've been shown on screen, Chani will be with him.  But more importantly, without going into spoilers, their love and dedication to each other is the fundamental core of Messiah.  If they are not together it's simply a new story, not an adaptation of Messiah.

There already hints the story could be kinda of different. I don't know, the first two movies made clear what villenueve like about this saga. Things like the mentat or spacing guild almost don't exist. I don't think the next movie will start to give some space to most of the plots about all that "new stuff" readers knows. 

12 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

There already hints the story could be kinda of different. I don't know, the first two movies made clear what villenueve like about this saga. Things like the mentat or spacing guild almost don't exist. I don't think the next movie will start to give some space to most of the plots about all that "new stuff" readers knows. 

That wouldn't be "kinda different."  It would be fundamentally different.  It would torch all of the good will he's built.  It would be a really bad idea.

17 minutes ago, ZackM said:

That wouldn't be "kinda different."  It would be fundamentally different.  It would torch all of the good will he's built.  It would be a really bad idea.

An idea is bad when you see what it is and it's bad. Not because is different. Everything can be better than what it Is.

I'm not the only One see It btw

Chani won't be just a concubine  to make children. 

As lady Jessica will have a big part in the last movie again. Villenueve made her character really important and has a plane to make her involved in the plot. The movie already set a plot of a future tensione between her and chani.

Female characters being central in the last act would make sense when the saga centered soo much on bene gesserit (with a new series about them coming tol) over any other subplots in the books. 

Edited by vale9001

8 hours ago, vale9001 said:

An idea is bad when you see what it is and it's bad. Not because is different. Everything can be better than what it Is.

I'm not the only One see It btw

Chani won't be just a concubine  to make children. 

As lady Jessica will have a big part in the last movie again. Villenueve made her character really important and has a plane to make her involved in the plot. The movie already set a plot of a future tensione between her and chani.

Female characters being central in the last act would make sense when the saga centered soo much on bene gesserit (with a new series about them coming tol) over any other subplots in the books. 

I'm actually not sure what point you're trying to make.

All I'm saying is that a story without Paul and Chani together is fundamentally not Dune: Messiah.  It would be like making a Harry Potter movie where Harry isn't a wizard.  That's not a valid adaptation.

I tried to look for answer elsewhere but couldn’t. How exactly Paul turn the table against feyd in the final duel? We clearly saw him being stab quite badly but because of the editing and camerawork’s, I can’t really tell what was going on in the end of the duel. 

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I tried to look for answer elsewhere but couldn’t. How exactly Paul turn the table against feyd in the final duel? We clearly saw him being stab quite badly but because of the editing and camerawork’s, I can’t really tell what was going on in the end of the duel. 

He lets himself be stabbed in the shoulder while he pulls out his own knife from his side and stabs Feyd in the chest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

We see earlier in the movie that he knows the only way he’ll defeat Feyd (“a narrow way through” + the shot of his Crysknife in Feyd’s chest). So that whole duel, he is setting up for that scenario. He allows Feyd to stab him in the side and shoulder so he can do the “sneak attack.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

All I'm saying is that a story without Paul and Chani together is fundamentally not Dune: Messiah.  It would be like making a Harry Potter movie where Harry isn't a wizard.  That's not a valid adaptation.

Also Children of Dune book exists, so Paul needs to get busy sometime.

• Like 1

Nice to see the film doing well but unfortunately I didn't like it as much as Part 1. This one felt less coherent and didn't have the ethereal feeling of the 1st film. The last third of the film felt very rushed and I also didn't like how they completely sidelined Jessica.

• Like 1

Wow, that was absolutely breathtaking. I can't remember a film on this scale that's so beautiful, spectacular and moving, not since Lord of the Rings. This movie is firing on every cylinder - performances, atmosphere, visuals, themes, characters, music, pretty much everything in this is perfection. I'm completely knocked out.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 5

Can't wait so see second time in IMAX tomorrow. Back to Arrakis and that stunning experience, a flow of visuals, sound, and light with a rhythm.  For me, the first time was the most cinematic experience I've ever had.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:22 PM, ZackM said:

I'm trying to say chani won't be paul concubine. 

She already returned to southern sietch at the end of this movie. Their relationship It's not still over cause She still has faith on him and somehow the love story between them will be part of the next movie but It's clear from this movie you can't expect villenueve to follow the plot of dune Messiah for her character or for Lady Jessica.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/dune-2-chani-change-frank-herbert-denis-villeneuve

https://screenrant.com/dune-2-where-chani-goes-sandworm-dune-3/

https://www.gq.com/story/dune-part-two-zendayas-ending-dune-messiah

• Like 1

For me personally, i have a simple outlook on movies changing (key) elements from the source material: It has to enhance the story, it has to make sense in the context of the movie and it mustnt go against the spirit/core of the source material.

So far, i dont see the Chani changes as breaking these norms. For me, Villeneuve managed to make her character way deeper and more relatable than her book version and it made the climax better and her story with Paul ultimately more tragic for me.

That beeing said i agree with @ZackM that making her (for example) an adversaty to Paul in Dune: Messiah or doing anything radical of that sort would be a break; "Messiah" as a story needs to have Chani on Pauls side. After all, Sam beeing Frodos enemy woudnt work either, in fact, it would ruin the story.

But im not worried too much about her character in the third film and i trust Villeneuve to make his own version of that story without going against the core of the book.

• Like 2

The fact she's gonna lead a rebellion against him of course is just my impression and i can understand would be something very radical 😆

The fact Chani represents in this version of the story the point of view of people seeing a Monster coming It's pretty clear. And hints seem to suggest She could have a role in stopping him at the end of the story, not in the extreme way i said probably.

Edited by vale9001

Chani in the book isn't that interesting though. They've drastically changed her and her relationship to Paul from ride or die concubine to angry, betrayed Freedom Fighter.  Chani doesn't challenge Paul that much. Her story in Messiah is passive. 

Edited by Juliet

Having her reluctantly return to Paul would actually make the tragedy of Messiah that much greater, with Paul knowing the end as he does. Also, if Dune Part Two was Chani's film, I think Dune Messiah is going to be Irulan's. Her narrative makes the most sense to follow in terms of

Spoiler

actually being one of the important cogs in the conspiracy to stop Paul but eventually ending her fealty to the Bene Gesserit and raising his children.  

• Like 1

Persnally think chani will return , yeah she is reluctant but I think she will understand and  return . But think some tweaks will be made . She definitely won't be 100% team Paul.  Can see a scenario where she is in that  role of  trying to advice Paul and trying to tame his demons or something and probably trying to protect Paul  and unfoil whatever machinations irulan will be upto.

Had no problem with her in the film until the ending which felt tucked on . 

Adaptation chani has way more urgency  .her just becoming team Paul at the end would have been jarring and just contradicted her character.