Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

The reported budget for Mutant Mayhem was $70 mil so it didn't have a huge bar to clear. I'm sure the critical reception and the ancillary appeal of the franchise helped too.

Dune 2 is already a complete success story. The reviews are stellar, fan and audience reception is extremely positive and it doubles the first ones OW numbers across the world right now.

I dont see any reason to complain about it. Dune never was and never will be another LOTR or Star Wars or something else, it is completely its own thing and way more "niche" than other big fantasy/Sci-Fi series simply because if its story and themes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The reported budget for Mutant Mayhem was $70 mil so it didn't have a huge bar to clear. I'm sure the critical reception and the ancillary appeal of the franchise helped too.

Mutant Mayhem's full global is about 180 mil so it still doesn't hit the 3x rule. Yes TMNT has a long term fanbase (which did make it viable even during the strike) but it wasn't exactly Mario during its run. I question the viability of the 3x rule if Mutant Mayhem can still manage.

For what it's worth, most animated movies that aren't Mario aren't super blockbusters at this point, so it also had that going for it.

16 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I mean, Mutant Mayhem got a sequel and people here said that underperformed. I take what people here say with a grain of salt. Especially after the "Aquaman 2 didn't flop" fiasco.

Most movies now are either a flop or not making as much money as they could’ve. Studios are also going out of there way to minimise the coverage a flop receives for being a flop (remember that movie where J-Law ‘brought back the R-Rated comedy?’).

TMNT gets a sequel because Paramount thinks there’s room for the series to grow. Dune 2 might lose money. So be it. The market flipped over night. Movies are being given a lot more grace than they used to get when it comes to BO nowadays.

• Like 1

Dune is more thoughtful, introspective than Star Wars/LOTR which were catnip for casual audiences on top of being stellar films. Many people doubted Dune could even be properly adapted, much less become a profitable, solid hit franchise like it has done. 

Edited by Bob Train

Ahh yes breakeven for 190m bud  is 700m !!!

150M marketing bud was pretty standard pre covid . Alot of movies have made  profits on sub 650m with 200m+ budgets.

God lord even reddit is more consistent.

This forum ,you will see posts like Aquaman 2 broke even, MI7 ,F9 etc.. . Rules change like water here . One day it's 2x, 2.5x . 3x!!!

Trades have their 2.5* P. Budget  breakeven . Ancillaries doing the rest of that esp marketing. 

Do we know everything that happens behind the numbers . No .

Are the trades super reliable ? No . But they know more.

But I swear some just drop random Numbers as breakeven.  700m is like 3.5times it's PD. It would be swimming in healthy profit with that.

Very few movies make profit on the theatrical alone.

500m is enough . 

Breakeven discussions here get very insufferable

Some acting like 190m is 250m+ budget or something.

Dune 2 is literally way cheaper that most major tentpoles which have ballooned to 200M+ budgets this days.

Good OW here and it outopening the previous one in most places ,stellar reception  and we are getting this whole weird  concern about it's breakeven LMAO.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Dune is more thoughtful, introspective than Star Wars/LOTR which were catnip for casual audiences on top of being stellar . Many people doubted Dune could even be properly adapted, much less become a profitable, solid hit franchise like it has done. 

By the end of the Sequel Trilogy I wouldn't exactly call Star Wars "catnip". Cat piss maybe.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Movies are being given a lot more grace than they used to get when it comes to BO nowadays.

They've always been given grace if the studio sees long term potential. A movie getting a sequel after grossing $180 mil on a $70mil budget really isn't that farfetched

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Most movies now are either a flop or not making as much money as they could’ve. Studios are also going out of there way to minimise the coverage a flop receives for being a flop (remember that movie where J-Law ‘brought back the R-Rated comedy?’).

TMNT gets a sequel because Paramount thinks there’s room for the series to grow. Dune 2 might lose money. So be it. The market flipped over night. Movies are being given a lot more grace than they used to get when it comes to BO nowadays.

How is Dune 2 gonna lose money, it is on track to make $600m-$700m on a $190m budget.

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I'm referring to the original trilogy.

Oh you mean the ones that ended in 1983? I think theatrical runs and multipliers are so different then from now that it's difficult to compare.

Dune 1984 flat out bombed.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

I doubt No Hard Feelings lost very much. Pretty sure it probably made money via the Netflix deal by this point even if its theatrical didn't work.

I’m fascinated by the idea that Netflix’s US only deal with Sony stops movies from being flops. Films get licensed to TV channels and streamers globally all the time. I don’t think whatever Sony has with Netflix is so lucrative it can be pulled out like a consolation prize whenever one of their films flop (unlike the CW’s old Netflix deal which effectively funded their slate).

Unrelated but I lowkey want IO2 to miss $100M OW so we get to have one full year without a $100M+ opener, and the streak will have to be broken by an MCU film. In fact it's wild how six MCU movies in a row had a $100M+ opening weekend, even the MCU managed to bring an Ant-Man film with terrible reception managed to open above $100M 😅.  Insanely impressive achievement.

Edited by HummingLemon496

Just now, AJG said:

I’m fascinated by the idea that Netflix’s US only deal with Sony stops movies from being flops. Films get licensed to TV channels and streamers globally all the time. I don’t think whatever Sony has with Netflix is so lucrative it can be pulled out like a consolation prize whenever one of their films flop (unlike the CW’s old Netflix deal which effectively funded their slate).

In retrospect No Hard Feelings didn't get x2 gross but at only 45 mil it's not the kind of "money loser" to put much of a dent in the studio profits....and it's also low enough that whatever deal Netflix has with Sony probably did make it profitable.

Now if it was Amazing Spiderman 2 then yes it likely wouldn't cover it.