Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

EXCLUSIVE: Welcome back to the cinema, everyone.

Legendary Entertainment/Warner Bros Dune: Part Two per industry estimates is off to a strong start with $10M-plus in previews. We hear that figure includes $2M from the Imax fan event screening that took place on Feb. 25. Note these numbers do not come from Warner Bros so they might be higher or lower in the AM. Previews began at 3PM.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

Go nuts folks.  But not too nuts.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

By the way, y'alls know the drill.  I'm not on Staff, so I'm not gonna make a super long post on this, especially since it might step on mod's toes.

So I'll just put it simply:

Respect Your Fellow Board Members, s'il vous plaît . 

Not everyone is gonna have the same opinion as you do, and that's OK.

*THE REPORT BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND*

***ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS WHATSOEVER — EVEN IN SPOILER TAGS***

• Like 2

6pm on the west coast.  I guess Deadline has also been bored by the B.O. and is itching for some big preview numbers.  But 10+ is vague especially when they say it could go higher or lower and it's combined with 2m from early IMAX previews.  Thanks Deadline...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

6pm on the west coast.  I guess Deadline has also been bored by the B.O. and is itching for some big preview numbers.  But 10+ is vague especially when they say it could go higher or lower and it's combined with 2m from early IMAX previews.  Thanks Deadline...

Deadline's been lowballing the last few months (though not always) so taking that into account does seem like 9m+ True Thursday is more or less in play right now.

• Like 3

Feeling very validated in my 70M prediction from the start of presales, though I think 75+  still has a good chance of happening.

Charlie’s tweet where he says early reaction is very positive is what’s really important for me though. If it leads to good legs throughout the coming weeks, then we’re in business.

• Like 1

Less than 75M would actually feel bad after all that optimism for like a week in the buzz thread, but the truth is that any number above 70M is objectively pretty good for this.

Still very early in the weekend though.

• Like 10
  • Knock It Off 1

As long as this coming above JW4 I am good. I know the hype has been building in the past few weeks but that seem quite confined within a section of the online community and real life buzz has been lacking. Combine this with some mixed feeling over part 1 especially among general audience, that certainly cap a limit to how high this can go. That is why I never got my hope high over OW. The WOM will be great no doubt.  

I'm gonna be honest - if Dune 2 does the same as John Wick 4 opening weekend, which looks likely, it would actually feel like quite a success to me when I think about how many people in real life I know that saw or talked about Wick compared to those who talked about Dune. Dune just has not penetrated my friend groups or networks whatsoever - and I'd like to think I keep a pretty diverse and representative sample that generally leads me well. Lots of online cinephile buzz but very little in Clay's actual social life. Glad the dollars are coming from somewhere!!

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

Wild that we really haven't had an opening like this since July. $70-75M would be right in line with what I was hoping for this. It also doesn't rule out a possible $200M run. Let's gooooo.

Just shows how online buzz and real life buzz can differ. I don't think JW4 OW for this is good, it should do more than that, but as long as it doesn't dip below 70 mln it should do fine, legs are even important here, as long as it's over x3 multi it's fine.

• Like 1

$70M is pretty great for this. Pretty big jump from the first one. People forget that a lot of people were bored by the first Dune movie. General audiences aren’t really into hardcore Sci-fi. This was never going to be a 4 quadrant movie. $200M DOM and $600M WW are great goals.

• Like 5

I woudnt be surprised if the legs of this movie will be better than we anticipate. Not just because of the light (if any) competition, but also because i think WOM will be stellar and this could get the "You have to see this in cinemas" treatment that could bring in a lot of people who were uninterested in this before.

• Like 1