Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

Fantastic early Sat number. Goes to show how WOM is traveling faster and faster every year and also how much longer movies truly profit from Saturdays (and Sundays).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Fantastic early Sat number. Goes to show how WOM is traveling faster and faster every year and also how much longer movies truly profit from Saturdays (and Sundays).

Not really. (I mean the positive WOM is there). But the idea that this was gonna be driven be "leisurely" viewing on weekends at PLFs was already observable in advance sales. The Wick 4 comparison was decent but Wick 4 had really only 1 weekend of PLF exclusivity. Dune 2 has 3. (Also some theaters won't be in a hurry to kick it out or will try to get it back in later).

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I agree. John Wick 4 was longer than Dune but only had a +25% jump, so IMO older demo skew, WOM, and PLF lure contribute to great bump. I think it is the most impressive Sat bump for any movie since Mario, since Saturdays have been weaker post-COVID.

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Imagine if they estimated 84 and then it turns out to be 85 😭

IMO they'll estimate at $83m so that they get the "bigger than Oppenheimer" headline, definitely over $80m so that they get the "biggest opener since Barbenheimer" headline.

Just now, Bob Train said:

I agree. John Wick 4 was longer than Dune but only had a +25% jump, so IMO older demo skew, WOM, and PLF lure contribute to great bump. I think it is the most impressive Sat bump for any movie since Mario, since Saturdays have been weaker post-COVID.

But kids don't like Mario! We need to have him ride Shai Halud through a desert so he can be relevant again!!11!

10 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Cinema is back

It never went away. It just fell asleep for a few months after it looked at early January box office numbers.