Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

Just now, HowSway said:

HBO Max does not exist anymore

Sure, change it to "Max does not even exist in most of the world". I'm sure you got the point just fine either way. It's basically only in the US and some LATAM markets.

I went to see Dune this afternoon.

I saw the first in the theatres. I admired the film, but wasn't too engaged by it. Hearing that all the action is in the second film, I thought I'd give it a go, especially with the reviews.

I walked away with the same sentiment.

I went by myself, because I figured it's a hard sell to others that I might otherwise invite.

Maybe I'm just really outside the norm, but, I don't think this will be able to leg out any better than the first.

It's a shame as I really wanted to love it.  And would have really liked to see a bigger hit to give the box office some life.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HowSway said:

Iirc, there might not be actual cash paid out but the streaming division still "pays" a fee to the production division in order to add it to streaming.

Sure but should we really count that if both divisions are owned by the same entity?

Home media and licensing isn't as lucrative as it once was, but there's still good money made here and will always be something these studios will take into account when greenlighting projects. And Warner is already licensing out their movies to third-party streaming services. Dune 1 was on Netflix a few months ago! I'm sure Dune 2 is going to get money going to Netflix or Hulu or whatever.

And honestly, the sad truth here is that, at this point, with the rising costs and shrunken audience, most movies probably have to be made at a loss now. We're all outsiders speculating on money that isn't ours tbh. So at this rate, is this arguing worth it? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Damn some people here really want Dune to be a flop and are grasping at straws here :hahaha:

I don't have any anti-Dune bias, I'm a fan of both movies and would love for them to keep making more.

Edited by DInky

Listening to the Dune 2 soundtrack all day has me convinced that this is indeed the most Hans has ever Zimmered.

Give him the Oscar already. This is breathtaking stuff.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Damn some people here really want Dune to be a flop and are grasping at straws here :hahaha:

I think it's just a lot of frustration over how Dune is being treated online. I claimed many times that this film would perform the same as John Wick 4 and immediately folks jumped at the chance to tell me I was way off base. Fast forward a couple weeks and opening weekend predictions are looking to be... well... exactly like John Wick 4.

I don't want Dune to flop. I just want folks to take off their rose-colored classes and realize Dune just isn't going to be 2024's Oppenheimer. Especially with Ghostbusters coming in coldhot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I think it's just a lot of frustration over how Dune is being treated online. I claimed many times that this film would perform the same as John Wick 4 and immediately folks jumped at the chance to tell me I was way off base. Fast forward a couple weeks and opening weekend predictions are looking to be... well... exactly like John Wick 4.

I don't want Dune to flop. I just want folks to take off their rose-colored classes and realize Dune just isn't going to be 2024's Oppenheimer. Especially with Ghostbusters coming in coldhot.

Saying it would perform similarly to JW4 is very much not why your posts got made fun of and framing it this way is either dishonest or naive, but go ahead

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

Hello guys, my first ever post here. I've been following the forums for a while so I just wanted to say my 2 cents. 

The results for Dune seem very obvious for me. The whole message from anyone who has seen it seems to be "you need to see it in imax or any other PLF". So it makes sense to me that it is underperforming early. People are willing to wait to see it in perfect conditions.

I think this movie will surprise people with it's legs. I don't see it going under $800m.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Saying it would perform similarly to JW4 is very much not why your posts got made fun of and framing it this way is either dishonest or naive, but go ahead

I guess I don't understand how my framing was overall bad when my conclusion was that this film would perform exactly as it's performing.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Saw Dune 2 at my nearby Dolby cinema and it was fantastic. That said its not for everyone. Chalamet is going to be the biggest star in hollywood

This is why we're friends :)

• Like 1

I think it’ll perform roughly how Wonka has. If I’m not mistaken, the numbers have been solid, just not runaway success? 

The plot is gonna lose some people because let’s be honest, because like it or not this is a little niche. Not a lot, but enough to thoroughly uninterest a good portion of the public.

But because it’s so damn good, it’ll have good legs. It’s the kind of film the people who want to see it WILL. More than once if they can. I know I’m going to in a couple weeks.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

They could be angry, but they already considered a change of plans after TASM2 results as it was discussed in that leaked Sony mail, they would never fire him if TASM2 did a billion even if Garfield spit on Hirai's face.

1. They were... when physical media was still a thing. Matt Damon put it very well on Hot Ones.

2. Because?

3. Hopefully.

The point is $500M is not a good number for this. I loved the film, so I want it to be successful, but I don't like those numbers if multi is gonna be below 3 and China's usual 2.

Dude but where did you take this 500M number? 

This thread has been annoying to read mostly because you keep throwing numbers and internal expectations that doesn’t make sense

This is opening to at least 75M DOM. It’s reaching 180-190M DOM at least. Can you realize it would need to gross the same thing OS of the first for the movie to ends up with 500M? 

Off a +100M OS start with the best results coming from backloaded markets, it’s probably getting at least 400M OS. 

The likely break even point for a 190M budget is not even 500M, this is making + 600M. Other than keep saying how WB expects more without any evidence of that, it’ll be a commercially success that can grow more next time. Why waist pages throwing fear that maybe the next one will be cancelled?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Yes, but physical media and pvod is nowhere close to what it used to be.

Movies quickly go to streaming services which don't pay out like the peak DVD days did.

This is true, but I do want to add that licensing deals for streaming services are still pretty lucrative even if they're not providing the money that home video used to provide back in the crazy days of its peak. Sony's Netflix partnership seems especially valuable, as does Bleecker Street's deal with Showtime/P+ (In fact, the latter is probably how Bleecker St. still manage to stick around despite their movies typically not taking off in theaters or on VOD).

• Like 3

Yes I saw it Thursday and have booked 3 more showings with various friends/family at each of them. Each of whom I had to convince to watch Part 1 and are now eager to see Part 2.

It's gonna take all of us being annoying to friends and fam to do this!

28 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I went to see Dune this afternoon.

I saw the first in the theatres. I admired the film, but wasn't too engaged by it. Hearing that all the action is in the second film, I thought I'd give it a go, especially with the reviews.

I walked away with the same sentiment.

I went by myself, because I figured it's a hard sell to others that I might otherwise invite.

Maybe I'm just really outside the norm, but, I don't think this will be able to leg out any better than the first.

It's a shame as I really wanted to love it.  And would have really liked to see a bigger hit to give the box office some life.

I appreciate your input. I bought a ticket to see Dune Part 2 on the upcoming Tuesday. Nice discounted price on a pretty good size screen. I watched Dune Part 1 at home the other day and it was pretty boring IMHO. I'm hoping the sequel plays a lot better for me. 

• Like 1