filmlover

The 96th Academy Awards Live Feed Thread | Oppy wins it all, but Ryan Gosling is still kenough

38 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

This is the 2nd time Ive seen some one mention pedophilia about that movie.

I haven’t seen it or know anything about it.  On the other site I saw it mentioned, they said it normalizes pedophilia. Surely Emma Stone did not play a pedophile?

Don't know how to say this without spoilers, but from that perspective, she actually plays "the victim" 

Spoiler

in the film Godfrey "the mad scientist, finds the body of a woman who just committed suicide by throwing her self into the river (Emma Stone) he finds that she is pregnant, and he revives her body and replaces her brain with that of her unborn baby. and Bella, learns very quickly that she enjoys sex and has lots and lots of it. the argument for pedophile is that her "brain is only two or three years old when she starts having sex and is mentally incapable of consent at that point, the film does kind of hint that her brain is maturing more rapidly then that of a regular child. but I honestly have a pretty big problem with this personally and felt icky after watching it. 

18 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Don't know how to say this without spoilers, but from that perspective, she actually plays "the victim" 

Hide contents

in the film Godfrey "the mad scientist, finds the body of a woman who just committed suicide by throwing her self into the river (Emma Stone) he finds that she is pregnant, and he revives her body and replaces her brain with that of her unborn baby. and Bella, learns very quickly that she enjoys sex and has lots and lots of it. the argument for pedophile is that her "brain is only two or three years old when she starts having sex and is mentally incapable of consent at that point, the film does kind of hint that her brain is maturing more rapidly then that of a regular child. but I honestly have a pretty big problem with this personally and felt icky after watching it. 

Honestly, that's all on Emma Stone.

Spoiler

When she's walking like a child the first two acts of the film, it's hard to convince people she's not a child in every other way.

I see it's been decided Poor Things is the Awards Season Villain after the fact lmao. These manufactured "controversies" always disappear the day after the Oscars are over. How many people have called La La Land a "white savior movie" in the 7 years since it lost (spoiler alert: zero)?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Seeing a controversy about RDJ not acknowledging Ke Huy Quan on stage and just reminded me of this weird infantilization is always see of Quan on twitter (saw it a lot last year too).

I just think RDJ got overly excited winning an oscar

Seems it was a dream of his. 

2 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I just think RDJ got overly excited winning an oscar

Seems it was a dream of his. 

It's not even that. I'm just always weirded out by the way I see people treat Ke Huy Quan like a baby. Hes a middle-aged man lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's not even that. I'm just always weirded out by the way I see people treat Ke Huy Quan like a baby. Hes a middle-aged man lol.

People still think he is the kid from Temple of Doom

lol 🤣

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I see it's been decided Poor Things is the Awards Season Villain after the fact lmao. These manufactured "controversies" always disappear the day after the Oscars are over. How many people have called La La Land a "white savior movie" in the 7 years since it lost (spoiler alert: zero)?

I suspect the Barbie fans won't forget Poor Things sweeping those technical categories. As a Batman fan, I still haven't forgotten Slumdog Millionaire sweeping a bunch of technical categories it should not have won against TDK (Cinematography in particular). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I suspect the Barbie fans won't forget Poor Things sweeping those technical categories. As a Batman fan, I still haven't forgotten Slumdog Millionaire sweeping a bunch of technical categories it should not have won against TDK (Cinematography in particular). 

funny thing about slumdog millionaire is indian community hates that movie lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

It's somehow almost incredible how even the more populist and accessible Lanthimos films are just too hard for some people. Media literacy truly at an all-time low.

The "most populist Lanthimos film ever" is kind of like being the world's heaviest ant. His movies are on the odd side to put it mildly, just the aesthetic alone loses people.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Depends on what internet circles you hang around lol, but La La Land losing Best Picture was probably the best thing that happened to its image. Musicals with strong female leads are rarely seen as "worthy" by film bros.

On Xitter, Scott Mendelson mentioned that Oppenheimer is the first Best Picture winner to gross $400+ million worldwide since The King's Speech. There was so much disbelief in the comments because since that Oscars night, the internet has done nothing but bash TKS as a so-so PBS special Weinstein brainwashed voters into liking. When in reality, it got critical raves and the public preferred it to The Social Network at the box office. Sometimes winning Oscars can be the worst thing for a movie or person's long-term reputation.

Anyway everyone knows this season's Oscar villain was Maestro. :D At least when Film Twitter mercilessly bashed Anne Hathaway as a cringe tryhard, she still took home an Oscar for all her trouble.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

I did have Poor Things pegged as a villain after I saw it. Definitely seemed like the most potentially "problematic" of the noms. 

I guess it's an inevitability that people will get overly invested in their rooting interest and see it as a personal affront if it doesn't win every award they think it should win, but really, the legacy of Barbie isn't gonna be tarnished at all by its lack of awards. It's clearly a big cultural touchstone and I'm sure a film registry induction somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

Maestro definitely would've been The Villain of Awards Season had it been in contention to win anything. Alas, its biggest controversy was the makeup (which was old news by the time of last year's Oscar ceremony since the first stills were released nearly two years ago) and the passion to reward it never materialized (to the point of winning nothing), so it died instantly. Better luck next  time (...again), both BCoop and Netflix.

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

On Xitter, Scott Mendelson mentioned that Oppenheimer is the first Best Picture winner to gross $400+ million worldwide since The King's Speech. There was so much disbelief in the comments because since that Oscars night, the internet has done nothing but bash TKS as a so-so PBS special Weinstein brainwashed voters into liking. When in reality, it got critical raves and the public preferred it to The Social Network at the box office. Sometimes winning Oscars can be the worst thing for a movie or person's long-term reputation.

I really like The King's Speech and don't mind it winning Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Script. I probably would have given Best Supporting Actor to Geoffrey Rush and Best Supporting Actress to Helena Bonham Carter. All three of the main actors in that film were awesome. 

I probably would have given Best Director to David Fincher over Tom Hooper, who made some bad choices with the camera that distracted from the GREAT performances by his actors. It's a weird thing. He did a great job getting the strong performances from the actors, but then he chose to use really distracting camera angles that didn't do justice to the movie or the actors IMHO. David Fincher always delivers top notch stuff with his movies, both in terms of visuals and the acting performances. 

Biggest problem with the 2010-2011 awards season was Chris Nolan getting left off the Best Director list after what he did with Inception. Straight up outrageous. At that point it felt like they were going out of their way to say "fuck you" to him for no good reason, especially after the snubs on The Dark Knight and The Prestige. 

• Like 1