charlie Jatinder

Weekday Numbers (3/25-28)

40 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What’s the usual pattern for the bank holiday Friday and Monday around Easter? 

Big Friday bumps, small Saturday changes, bigger drop Sunday, smaller drop Monday?

from what I can remember Friday jumps can be over 100%, but Saturday either stays flat or slightly falls. Sunday decrease in the 30-40% range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

from what I can remember Friday jumps can be over 100%, but Saturday either stays flat or slightly falls. Sunday decrease in the 30-40% range. 

Thank you :) 

• Heart 1

Was expecting a bigger drop for kung fu panda 

niceee still aligning higher than how to train your dragon 3

3rd Monday 1.4 million mid March spring break dragon 

3rd monday 1.6 million for kung fu panda 4

2019 Easter had dumbo which killed a lot of how to train your dragon legs, Disney kids movie 

I think it will hold fine against Godzilla vs long 

Edited by Minnale101

Only -15% drop for KFP4? Is that expected? (All its recent drops have been so much higher). Should we expect similarly low drops throughout this week & this weekend, or is there some reason this Monday would be an outlier?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

So if Sony fudged the numbers for this weekend, I'm guessing we should see a larger than usual Tuesday bump estimated by Sony tomorrow?

Is that the current theory? Sony fudged the weekend numbers to make it look better?

5 minutes ago, Squire said:

Is that the current theory? Sony fudged the weekend numbers to make it look better?

According to Charlie, it made around $43M this weekend. Maybe it's because Sony wanted the "bigger opening than Afterlife" headlines. Charlie might be right, I see no reason a movie would drop around 75% on Monday where a lot of people are on Spring Break, though I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

MON

Should be 2.85, lets see what Sony give

Nope. Sony has just reported 2.875, again more than what you’re  expecting… :) 

I think being such a wide release, almost 4350 location, may be creating some distortions with comps released in 3.5k/4K locations.

15 minutes ago, Squire said:

Other studios need to call them out then. Throwing out an extra $2M is laughable.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Other studios need to call them out then. Throwing out an extra $2M is laughable.

not really, Charlie said Monday box office should be at 2.85M and he was saying Sony would report 1.9/1.65 if Sony had fudged numbers.

However, Sony has just reported 2.875M… even more than what Charlie thought would be the right report.

So this ends that theory of fudged  numbers.

Edited by leoh
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, leoh said:

not really, Charlie said numbers should be 2.85M and he was saying Sony would report 1.9/1.65 if Sony had fudged numbers.

However, Sony has just reported 2.875… so even more than what Charlie thought would be the right report.

I can't tell if you genuinely don't get it or you're just that deep into the troll act but 1.9 is Charlie's Dune number and 1.65 is Charlie's KFP number, they have nothing to do with Ghostbusters.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, leoh said:

not really, Charlie said Monday box office should be at 2.85M and he was saying Sony would report 1.9/1.65 if Sony had fudged numbers.

However, Sony has just reported 2.875M… even more than what Charlie thought would be the right report.

No, the 1.9 and 1.65 are the numbers for Dune and KFP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

MON

Should be 2.85, lets see what Sony give

Did you consider theater buyouts for kid birthday parties for the weekend?  They wouldn't show in your Ghostbusters numbers, right?  It's like the 2020 problem when we were tracking movies that allowed theater buyouts vs ticket sales that now really only affects new kid/family movie releases b/c they are so infrequent, you get a pile all booking the same movie for the same Sat/Sun showings...maybe?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Did you consider theater buyouts for kid birthday parties for the weekend?  They wouldn't show in your Ghostbusters numbers, right?  It's like the 2020 problem when we were tracking movies that allowed theater buyouts vs ticket sales that now really only affects new kid/family movie releases b/c they are so infrequent, you get a pile all booking the same movie for the same Sat/Sun showings...maybe?

Everything is reported. The raw gross which is 97-99% of actuals for all films is $41.7M. The best it can be is $43.25M. 

That aside, there has never been case of SAT actuals coming 5% higher than estimates. The only estimate part of weekend that can change significantly is SUN. Sony firstly fudged OD from $15.4M to $16M but their SAT estimate was $16.9M which was what it was. They gave a optimistic 27% SUN drop for $45M estimates but actual SUN dropped 37% to $10.7M.

But Sony just bumped SAT numbers and gave 37% drop from that for $45M weekend actuals. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

No, the 1.9 and 1.65 are the numbers for Dune and KFP

Thanks :) I was assuming that because 2.87M just reported by Sony is a 74% drop from Sunday, which is pretty much in line with KFP4 drop (71%)…

So if I’m not mistaken, if Charlie theory was correct (43.3M instead of 45M), Ghostbusters would have made 4.5M today (considering there would be a 1.7M fudged for the weekend)… right?

4.5M on Monday would be a 58% drop from Sunday (considering Charlie said it made 10.75M on Sunday)… I mean Dune dropped 66% on its first Monday…

I’m not saying that a 58% drop from Sunday would be impossible, but it is hard to believe it’s holding so much better than Dune…

Edited by leoh