kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

Godzilla doesn’t really have much competition. The next big ‘general audience’ film won’t be until Apes in May.  Dune and Kung Fu Panda should continue have good legs too. 

The Fall Guy will be bigger with general audiences than Apes and I am a fan of the Ape franchise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The Fall Guy will be bigger with general audiences than Apes and I am a fan of the Ape franchise. 

Different kind of GA I think there, more comedy (and female) leaning than the popcorn action of GxK

• Like 1

Around 45 mill OW for GxK in China. 

great OW but with at hash sunday drop.

going for 100-110 mill total

• Like 2

Dune made 30M globally this weekend. Should have enough gas to do another 74M and reach 700M 

Waiting for GxK, probably ~200M globally, which locks +500M 

Huge successes, very happy for both. Saw Zilla yesterday and actually though is the best of the MonsterVerse, really like the cartoonish nonsense direction Wingard is progressively pushing harder 

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator

Absolutely stellar results for GxK. Feels like this really got to enjoy something close to the kind of opening GvK would have under normal circumstances, though that doesn't make the latter's run any less respectable given the climate it opened in.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Different kind of GA I think there, more comedy (and female) leaning than the popcorn action of GxK

Part of the well known and serious Godzilla/Kong franchise. The scene at the end where Kong delivers a lecture on the dangers of nuclear weapons using sign language rivals Oppenheimer.

2 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Around 45 mill OW for GxK in China. 

great OW but with at hash sunday drop.

going for 100-110 mill total

First 100M movie since MEG: THE TRENCH?

I'm thinking we could see some elevated holds next weekend, Monday will be a de facto holiday with a lot of schools being closed for the solar eclipse in the US

Edited by AniNate

50 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I don't think you need to be the MOST conventionally attractive to be a romcom lead. When Harry Met Sally is still the omega in the genre IMO and it stars Billy Crystal who isn't exactly a Chalamet.

Also as an aside but related, I feel like Tom Holland has Tom Hanks wholesome superstar energy that modern day studios don't know how to channelize beyond Spidey. 

It's not the looks, because he is conventionally attractive. But there's just something about him that's currently missing in terms of romantic charm, charisma and confidence. He's ok for a late 90's - early 00's teen rom com type of role, but the Spidey movie scratch that itch. Beyond that, I don't see it and I guess a lot of people in Hollywood feel the same way otherwise he WOULD be pushed out there more for such roles.

Personally, I remain completely unconvinced by Holland as a lead outside Spidey, but as he matures maybe that will change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yeah I agree with that but even though I would love it Apes will not even do  as close as strong with the GA as GXK just did. In fact opening Mothers Day weekend for a dude heavy franchise is a choice. If Fall Guy  does hit with the ladies it will be strong in that second weekend.

• Like 1

Between Dune and GvK it appears day to date streaming in 2021 had a bigger effect than thought, though of course some of this is people that watched it on streaming that would not have seen it in theaters in 2021 COVID times. All I know is between how the adult market has turned out since then and the day to date streaming stuff, everyone was wayyyyy too harsh on In The Heights, huh?

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Part of the well known and serious Godzilla/Kong franchise. The scene at the end where Kong delivers a lecture on the dangers of nuclear weapons using sign language rivals Oppenheimer.

Kudos on the sarcasm, but missing the point entirely. Popcorn action is by definition a little mindless 

I’ll just put it this way: seriously doubt Fall Guy skews 62% male and 35% Hispanic

The Hispanic skew is easily explained: Latin America/Hispanics love Dragon Ball to death, so upon seeing that Godzilla had evolved to Super Saiyan Rose, they had no choice but to come.

• Haha 4