kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

41 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Do Dollar theaters even still exist? There was once a $2.50 ticket movie theater near me but it closed. I think the whole rush to streaming killed a lot of them.

We still had one locally as late as 2020.  Doing decently too, as a second run theater.  The 'rona killed it and it never came back.

I expect a lot of second run theaters died during the theater lockdown.  Might be interesting to know just how many, if any, are still around.  

COVID might have hastened the inevitable collapse due to streaming, but I get the sense that second run theaters still had a tiny niche as a "good place for teenagers/college students to go and hang out and have a good time".  Not nearly enough of them to make a thriving business model with multiple locations in a given market, but maybe enough to keep the lights on.

A similar niche that drive-ins occupy, come to think of it, though drive-ins still usually show first-run content.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

We still had one locally as late as 2020.  Doing decently too, as a second run theater.  The 'rona killed it and it never came back.

I expect a lot of second run theaters died during the theater lockdown.  Might be interesting to know just how many, if any, are still around.  

COVID might have hastened the inevitable collapse due to streaming, but I get the sense that second run theaters still had a tiny niche as a "good place for teenagers/collage student to go and hang out and have a good time".  Not nearly enough of them to make a thriving business model with multiple locations in a given market, but maybe enough to keep the lights on.

A similar niche that drive-ins occupy, come to think of it, though drive-ins still usually show first-run content.

'Covid killed my 2nd run with the owner switching it to a 1st run...

• Sad 1

In a twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan, after all these years of begging for an original hit, and all these months defending Civil War sight unseen.....I absolutely fucking hated it.

F-. Glad it is making money and sure hope more original movies with this scope and marketing get made, though!! Maybe they won't be craven, weightless pieces of shit like this was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

In a twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan, after all these years of begging for an original hit, and all these months defending Civil War sight unseen.....I absolutely fucking hated it.

F-. Glad it is making money and sure hope more original movies with this scope and marketing get made, though!! Maybe they won't be craven, weightless pieces of shit like this was.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU!!!!

tenor.gif

STOP USING THE MONKEY PAW WHEN MAKING A WISH!!!!

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Canton second run Cinemark converted to a frilly in-theater dining joint. It's less than a mile from the other bigger Canton Cinemark but they both seem to be doing solid business now

33 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Just has those vibes, and it helps that May isn't looking all that huge and competitive, so it has room to grow.

Crazy to think that we may have no movies do 60 m + on OW in May. Apes seems like the only one that has potential but it has to be good in order to do it. The Fall Guy even with the strong early buzz seems like 45-50 if the marketing clicks and breaks through to the GA in these next few weeks. WOM will hopefully kick in at that point. IF has to be better than it looks or sub 30 even 20 is very possible. Furiosa  would love for it to do as well as Fury Road but even that only opened to 45 and this does not seem to be breaking out like that did. Shudder at the thought Garfield is the biggest hit.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Crazy to think that we may have no movies do 60 m + on OW in May. Apes seems like the only one that has potential but it has to be good in order to do it. The Fall Guy even with the strong early buzz seems like 45-50 if the marketing clicks and breaks through to the GA in these next few weeks. WOM will hopefully kick in at that point. IF has to be better than it looks or sub 30 even 20 is very possible. Furiosa  would love for it to do as well as Fury Road but even that only opened to 45 and this does not seem to be breaking out like that did. Shudder at the thought Garfield is the biggest hit.

Oh, because you like Mondays?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do appreciate the sight unseen defense still. We need more benefit of the doubt with movies so it's not so aggravating to talk about them before they come out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Every time I lean back towards maybe seeing it I read something like this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I do appreciate the sight unseen defense still. We need more benefit of the doubt with movies so it's not so aggravating to talk about them before they come out.

I still think it was harsh for people to judge the film based on alliances and ideology not reflecting 2024 America. I didn't need it to take explicit sides on today's world. The problem is that the film has NOTHING to say about America at all at any point in our history - not our culture, our commerce, our values, nothing. The film might as well have taken place on Jupiter for all the weight this war happening in America is given. What's the big whoop of a Civil War in America if nobody comments on what any of this could mean?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dang, I have given the F- grade, but yeah, it's normally b/c I really, really hate it.  It doesn't even have to be the worst made movie, it can just put me in the most pissed off mood about what they made (or didn't make)...

PS - This is the kinda WOM where I say "yep, legs will be awful" b/c "it's good" doesn't go nearly as far as "I was pissed off after seeing this"...no one wants to pay to be pissed off...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Dang, I have given the F- grade, but yeah, it's normally b/c I really, really hate it.  It doesn't even have to be the worst made movie, it can just put me in the most pissed off mood about what they made (or didn't make)...

PS - This is the kinda WOM where I say "yep, legs will be awful" b/c "it's good" doesn't go nearly as far as "I was pissed off after seeing this"...no one wants to pay to be pissed off...

To be clear, I've seen much WORSE films than this in the past year - it's very well shot and directed and extremely watchable because of it - but this movie, as you said, pissed me the fuck off, so I broke out a rare F grade when I usually give technical pieces of shit like Madame Web a D.

• Like 1

Really is sinking in how anemic the early summer looks now that we're past the March tentpoles. Still a lot to look forward to from a personal entertainment perspective, but doesn't seem like we'll be able to get to an overall good vibes point again until maybe July. June has IO2 but June last year had Spiderverse, so at best it seems like a wash. 

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Really is sinking in how anemic the early summer looks now that we're past the March tentpoles. Still a lot to look forward to from a personal entertainment perspective, but doesn't seem like we'll be able to get to an overall good vibes point again until maybe July. June has IO2 but June last year had Spiderverse, so at best it seems like a wash. 

The highest grossing May film is going to finish about 125m behind The Little Mermaid domestic, so yeah, gonna be a bleak month relative to last year - a bit deeper but nothing within miles of Guardians or TLM. Think Furiosa gonna outright flop, Fall Guy and Apes both in 120m domestic range, Garfield wins the month. June I'm more optimistic on - IO2 should be good, and I actually think Bad Boys outgrosses any of last year's non Spider-Verse release. Pretty high on A Quiet Place  and The Watchers too, actually. Plus a few adult releases like Horizon, Kind of Kindness, Bikeriders. So it's May that looks brutal to me.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Garfield wins the month.

No way lol.

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Bad Boys outgrosses any of last year's non Spider-Verse release

Wait even Oppenheimer?

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

No way lol.

Wait even Oppenheimer?

In June! So higher than Flash, Transformers, Indy.

I'm lower on Fall Guy and Furiosa than most of the boards....maybe if Apes is well reviewed? I think there's a Garfield audience.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The highest grossing May film is going to finish about 125m behind The Little Mermaid domestic, so yeah, gonna be a bleak month relative to last year - a bit deeper but nothing within miles of Guardians or TLM. Think Furiosa gonna outright flop, Fall Guy and Apes both in 120m domestic range, Garfield wins the month. June I'm more optimistic on - IO2 should be good, and I actually think Bad Boys outgrosses any of last year's non Spider-Verse release. Pretty high on A Quiet Place  and The Watchers too, actually. Plus a few adult releases like Horizon, Kind of Kindness, Bikeriders. So it's May that looks brutal to me.

Respectfully disagree with you on May being that bad.The Fall Guy will do  much better than 120 million unless audiences do just shrug it off and wait for streaming despite the great buzz and reviews.Yes I know movies like this don't do well anymore. What a bleak future if that can't change at least with this movie. Apes if good does at least War numbers or better. Furiosa will not bomb but but not  do Fury Road numbers. Once again I shudder at the thought of Garfield winning the month.

Wonder if Spy x Family might actually be the biggest opener next week. Seems like it has the most positive vibes of anything coming out, plus the IMAX surcharges.

If more pessimistic leg predictions re Civil War come true, could be #1.