kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

Civil War is a 2/5 movie whose reviews are bolstered by the A24 logo. It's meant to be super thought-provoking but you walk out going, "ok yeah sure, but what's for dinner?" 

But it's not actively bad or boring so it may have decent legs. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Hmm. May have to see it just to have an opinion on where I stand. I feel like this movie will get a lot of your reactions but also a lot of eric's.

That’s why I’ve been saying this could still get solid legs. There will definitely be people who are passionate about it, good or bad, and that can go a long way.

• Like 2

What's the most compelling answer to the best part of the Civil War trailer? What kind of American are you?

A) Kong fan

B.) Godzilla Fan

C) Telsa owner

D) Avengers Assemble

Edited by grey ghost

27 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Hmm. May have to see it just to have an opinion on where I stand. I feel like this movie will get a lot of your reactions but also a lot of eric's.

It’s the best kind of cinema IMO. Everyone has a strong opinion and different interpretation. It demands discussion whether you’re angry or inspired. I think even the conversation of “what *should an American Civil War look like?” the film is sparkling only adds weight and value to it. I was never looking for this film to confirm or condemn a political ideology. I like what it was able to achieve without that. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Anyways, with Priscilla, Civil War, and Alien: Romulus (which I'm banking at least outgrosses Covenant), Cailee Spaeny is on her way to movie stardom.

Emphasis on star - she has a very commercial look as well. Lots of brunette actress breakouts in the past 5 years or so!

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I still think it was harsh for people to judge the film based on alliances and ideology not reflecting 2024 America. I didn't need it to take explicit sides on today's world. The problem is that the film has NOTHING to say about America at all at any point in our history - not our culture, our commerce, our values, nothing. The film might as well have taken place on Jupiter for all the weight this war happening in America is given. What's the big whoop of a Civil War in America if nobody comments on what any of this could mean?

I dont care about any of that I just wanted an entertaining movie with good actors and direction which I got

3 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I dont care about any of that I just wanted an entertaining movie with good actors and direction which I got

I agreed about the direction, Garland obviously directs the shit out of it. Not sure I felt that about the acting tbh, was left a little cold by alot of the choices. Henderson was amazing though, as was Plemons. 

May 

Fall Guy - This will do good 400-500m numbers. Not really seeing a breakout .

Planet of the apes. Feel good about this one . 450m+. Perform in line with previous installments. It's not touching dawn , that was an outlier.

Furiosa . Could be good but in terms of box office. Really don't have a good feeling . Low 300s with 120ish Dom.

Garfield. Yeah my pick for suprise numbers domestically. Feels like illumination type movie kids will flock too.

225+ domestic,500M+ WW.

As for IF and strangers chapter 1 will see.

Think may will be fine.

JUNE.

Quiet place Day one -350M. Expect this to have a stronger os appeal than previous titles.

Bad boys 4 - John wick 3 numbers.

Inside out . Was originally as high finding dory numbers domestic  but will go on the side of caution and lower it quite Abit but this has major breakout potential.

375M+ Dom, secret life of pets numbers WW.

Horizon chapter 1. Don't really know about it's OS prospects . Can see 35-40M opening for solid 125-140 domestic.

July

DP4 - very strong contender for top grosser . Seen some being bullish  on it and underestimating. Minions 2 just showed despicable Me franchise is still very alive and strong. Yeah the previous made 270ish in 2017. But hey we thought kungfu panda was dead and or it came back to life and expect this to jump domestically .

115-120m ow, 385-410 Dom , 1.02-1.05bn . 

Twisters -175M/450M.

Deadpool 4 . Some are ridiculously low(700m) and some are so high (1.3b+)

Should settle for 850-1.1bn depending on reception.

My pick

155-180M opening ,400-450 Dom, 950M-1B WW. Expecting Dr strange 2 numbers OS which would squick it past a billion if Dom delivers on high end.

A+ CS  would definitely shake things up but expecting standard 2.5* legs .

• Like 1

What a lackluster May. We really went from Doctor Strange 2/Top Gun Maverick in 2022 to GOTG Vol. 3/Fast X/The Little Mermaid in 2023 to…The Fall Guy/Planet of the Apes/IF/Furiosa. Talk about a drop off.

25 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

What a lackluster May. We really went from Doctor Strange 2/Top Gun Maverick in 2022 to GOTG Vol. 3/Fast X/The Little Mermaid in 2023 to…The Fall Guy/Planet of the Apes/IF/Furiosa. Talk about a drop off.

Strike delays otherwise Deadpool would have been the opener. As it now stands, this is the second time the stars have aligned for a perfect release schedule for an animated movie starring Chris Pratt. A 2.5 month break between KFP4 and Garfield and Apes is the only thing to qualify as a "family" blockbuster since GxK

I wouldn't discount IF. It does have a lot going for it pedigree wise. It may not be fully animated and skews a little older than Garfield but I definitely think it has an advantage opening a week earlier and having the jump on the "only new family option" hook. I don't think Garfield is gonna benefit the same way as Panda did with IF's presence and Inside Out 2 opening less than a month later. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1