kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Was going to try and see Monkey Man this weekend but both it and The First Omen were dropped to two showings a day and the times are crap. 

Please go see Monkey Man! Aside from people disliking the shaky camera, I thought it was a good story with good action. Dev Patel is a hottie. ❤️

Plus, we're both horror movie babes, so I know we ain't weak like these people, tehe!

• Heart 1

So, Civil War is going to do Cocaine Bear numbers at the domestic box office. 

Total box office this weekend will be around 70m'ish.

YTD box office down around 18% vs 2023 about 400m behind 2023.

Monkey Man & Omen will both finish under 30m domestic. 

Civil War will win April with a number in the 60m.

The two new releases next weekend will both finish under 30m domestic.

Leaving only Challengers which will probably not do much.

Depressing April for the new wide releases but it was expected.

Early sales for Challengers are looking quite promising, high teens opening looks achievable. Given the overall lack of major product, this April might end up matching expectations at least.

I might be way missing something here but wouldn't this also be the first time an A24 movie has opened at #1 (or been #1 at all for that matter)? That'd be a pretty significant milestone for an "alternative" studio.

Edited by AniNate

Cracking OD for Civil War. Hopefully the internal multiplier will be better through the weekend than some think on here. 

Polarising for a film like this is in no way a bad thing.  Likely to have equally good WOM from those that will find it having something to say a reason to see it, no matter what side of the fence you end up on.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I might be way missing something here but wouldn't this also be the first time an A24 movie has opened at #1 (or been #1 at all for that matter)? That'd be a pretty significant milestone for an "alternative" studio.

It sure is! I believe the highest they've ever gotten before at the weekend box office is The Green Knight at #3? Such a big win for them. And a big win for an original film post-COVID; the number of truly original films to open above $25M in the last four years is...short. Especially R-rated ones.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think it is. Good for them.