kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

5 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Should have made Challengers with Holland and Chalamet instead. Would have brought the budget up to 100M but would have probably made like 400M.

Hmm, I doubt. I don’t think Chalamet and Holland are box office draws as much as people are pretending they are.

5 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Should have made Challengers with Holland and Chalamet instead. Would have brought the budget up to 100M but would have probably made like 400M.

It's not like Holland or Chalamet have ever led a box office hit that wasn't based on some pre-existing IP though. You can definitely account some of Wonka and Uncharted's success to their presence but nothing they've done in the Challengers realm has done gangbusters either. 

I actually am starting to think that 2012's 21 Jump Street (unadjusted) might be a good comparison for Fall Guy at the box office. Pair of charming leads, 80s TV series, good reviews, etc. 

For all the "theater sare terrible" moping people were doing here a while ago, I never agreed with it until very recently. Even in 2021, the experience wasn't bad. People were largely well behaved. But in the past year I've noticed so many more people straight up watch TikTok in a theater. When I watched Dune 2, some 30 year old looking guy would not stop using his phone. He recorded the first five minutes and then would periodically open his phone just to scroll random stuff. People will just talk to their seat partner in an outside voice.

It's madness. We need to reteach people everything about etiquette. Maybe this wouldn't have happened if people didn't call decorum a form classism and elitism.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Maybe this wouldn't have happened if people didn't call decorum a form classism and elitism.

This. Right here. We're at a point in culture where, if we criticize something as agreeable as theater etiquette and the wrong person gets a hold of that message, it's mocked and suddenly you get people saying shit like "people paid $20 for a ticket, they can act however they want!" Anything else is classist!" and there can no longer be a real discussion because it turns into a parody of itself.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This. Right here. We're at a point in culture where, if we criticize something as agreeable as theater etiquette and the wrong person gets a hold of that message, it's mocked and suddenly you get people saying shit like "people paid $20 for a ticket, they can act however they want!" Anything else is classist!" and there can no longer be a real discussion because it turns into a parody of itself.

Remember when we could all mock this person. We used to be a proper country - The Magnited States of America

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Cost of living is just hitting people too hard. Even if the experience improves people won’t pay to watch a movie when they can just wait a few weeks and watch it at home. 

I feel like the “cost of living” thing gets brought frequently but is there any evidence that has an effect on theaters? Inflation rate was higher during Barbenheimer more than it is now. The Great Recession didn’t seem to impact the 08 box office at all.

Edited by ringedmortality

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Cost of living is just hitting people too hard. Even if the experience improves people won’t pay to watch a movie when they can just wait a few weeks and watch it at home. 

There's also the "Does this need a big screen?" question. Like Challengers for example is heavily promoting the three-way kiss, people are getting a bit more prudish as well compared to the 90s and would prefer watching it at home for..... reasons.

• Like 1

I think that the quick turnaround to VOD/streaming and all the other content that can satisfy people in the meantime is just a huge incentive for people to just wait if it isn't an event. I remember when I was a kid that wait for a movie to come out on VHS felt foreveeeeerrr. I know the consensus here is VOD doesn't hurt legs, but I think the entire concept of VOD hurts things from the first minute a movie comes out.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I feel like the “cost of living” thing gets brought frequently but is there any evidence that has an effect on theaters? Inflation rate was higher during Barbenheimer more than it is now. The Great Recession didn’t seem to impact the 08 box office at all.

A Harris poll last month (and they've been doing these polls on theatre habits for many years): https://movieweb.com/moviegoers-prefer-streaming-over-theaters-poll/

Basically 2/3 of Americans preferred to watch movies on streaming over theatres with the two main reasons being ticket and concession prices. In the past, I think theatres were seen as a cheaper alternative and did quite well during recessions, but I guess right now, it's not. It's not that movie tickets - inflation adjusted - are particularly high (excluding premium screens), I just think the home alternatives (streaming, tv/device screen quality, narrower release windows, food delivery, etc.) have greatly improved (while also being less expensive).

Still, 1/3 do still prefer theatres so there is still an audience - especially for films with a lot of buzz that people want to see and talk about right away.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think that the quick turnaround to VOD/streaming and all the other content that can satisfy people in the meantime is just a huge incentive for people to just wait if it isn't an event. I remember when I was a kid that wait for a movie to come out on VHS felt foreveeeeerrr. I know the consensus here is VOD doesn't hurt legs, but I think the entire concept of VOD hurts things from the first minute a movie comes out.

Movies playing on a TV channel for the first time after their theatrical run used to be an event. Now I'm not sure if channels even promote movies playing on them apart from the marathons like "Potter weekend" or "Star Wars marathon".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Movies playing on a TV channel for the first time after their theatrical run used to be an event. Now I'm not sure if channels even promote movies playing on them apart from the marathons like "Potter weekend" or "Star Wars marathon".

Within a few years channels will no longer exist, movie theaters are about to outlast linear cable for sure. 

3 minutes ago, grumpythepenguin said:

A Harris poll last month (and they've been doing these polls on theatre habits for many years): https://movieweb.com/moviegoers-prefer-streaming-over-theaters-poll/

Basically 2/3 of Americans preferred to watch movies on streaming over theatres with the two main reasons being ticket and concession prices. In the past, I think theatres were seen as a cheaper alternative and did quite well during recessions, but I guess right now, it's not. It's not that movie tickets - inflation adjusted - are particularly high (excluding premium screens), I just think the home alternatives (streaming, tv/device screen quality, narrower release windows, food delivery, etc.) have greatly improved (while also being less expensive).

Still, 1/3 do still prefer theatres so there is still an audience - especially for films with a lot of buzz that people want to see and talk about right away.

I don’t necessarily think this proves the “cost of living” hypothesis. It’s not “we’re struggling so much we can’t afford them” it’s more “we rather watch it at home.” 

During the recession in 08 movies we’re still the focal point of culture, but they’re not anymore. I feel like that has more to do with it rather than the vague cost of living thing. Which, by the way, people always at all times have said “people are struggling” regardless of whatever was happening. Even when the economy was booming in the 2010s people would say “people are trying to put food on their table.”

• Like 1

assuming 4.8mil is correct i'm not sure how they figure 15mil weekend is still in the cards, that'd require a sub 15% drop on sunday, it's more likely to go below 14mil (anything bigger than 37%) than drop that little.

Edited by Ledmonkey96