kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

People on Social Media are really trying to make the "3 tickets to Challengers please" meme happen and it's just not taking off unlike the "2 tickets to Barbenheimer" thing from last year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Challengers will barely win with No Hard Feelings. Zendaya's movie doesn't have so many competitors like NHF.  With all this hype it's really disappointing. Seems like media likes her way more than GA

Didn’t NHF come out during the summer? I think we should be comparing this to Don’t Worry Darling.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

People on Social Media are really trying to make the "3 tickets to Challengers please" meme happen and it's just not taking off unlike the "2 tickets to Barbenheimer" thing from last year.

What you mean, like when people show up in costume?

Don’t forget that the reported previews number was less than what it should have been, according to Jat, so they might be borrowing a bit of that gross to cushion the Sunday drop.

As to the movie itself, I go back to the fact that it’s an Amazon MGM product, and if I guess I’ll decide what they think of its performance after it hits streaming and whether or not they acquire the next Luca movie or not. If you asked them about Saltburn right after its theatrical release? Flop. If you asked them after its streaming performance? Different tune

9 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

If someone wants great writing, great characters and adult storytelling they turn to TV and miniseries today. The theatrical space was essentially overstuffed with familiar franchise IP that followed a hero’s journey template, action and comedy mix for the entire 2010s and now launching a movie like Challengers to audiences just won’t do. 

funny thing is, it seems older shows are the most streamed

20 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Both should. 

And both will eventually. Their runs aren’t over yet. GxK seems to be getting there a bit faster due to bigger OW, though somehow legs for it weren’t as glamorous despite the lesser competition in April.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Barring a seriously massive Fall Guy breakout we're likely gonna be falling behind in the rolling year comparison next week, which would officially put an end to my "pandemic recovery" rationalizing. 

If the exhibition industry is only worth $8 billion a year now instead of $10 billion, I guess that would still be a lot better than fully dead. Chains will/have been contracting and adjusting to meet a demand level that they can still profit from.

• Like 3

The bright spot in this weekend continues to be the strong or decent holds for GxK, KFP 4, GB:FE and Civil War. Meaning if WOM is at least decent and no big movie comes in to suck up all the oxygen.  There is a audience that wants to go the movies they just need something to compel them to. With The Fall Guy  looking to do only 30-40 this weekend , and that high end is if it breaks out in the final stretch, the holdovers should hold well again. And the Fall Guy should have strong holds in the weeks to follow with no massive movie following it.

I'm happy for Zendaya landing a #1 movie seeing how far she's come from Dancing with the Stars. :lol: One of the very few people that actually enjoyed a career boost from appearing on that show.

In the years leading up to Spider-Man: Homecoming/The Greatest Showman I mostly knew her as the young actress/singer who would randomly appear on red carpets at awards shows (including her infamous appearance at the 2015 Oscars). Just goes to show it's all about luck (and having the right connections and, more importantly, the talent) in this industry.

27 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Challengers will barely win with No Hard Feelings. Zendaya's movie doesn't have so many competitors like NHF.  With all this hype it's really disappointing. Seems like media likes her way more than GA

So which star could open a bisexual R-rated tennis movie to these numbers or bigger? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I'd argue with Civil War likely getting to $70M+ and Challengers possibly $40M+, these movies are pulling bigger numbers and audiences theatrically vs comparable film twitter faves/discourse films. Obviously, this doesn't move Challengers out of the red, but I do think it's somewhat of a measure of success.

See - these are the numbers I expected OW for both films.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 5
  • Knock It Off 1

43 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I really have no idea why anyone expected anything higher for Challengers. It is a homoerotic, R-rated tennis-drama that has one noticeable star and two homely costars. The environment in which it is coming out is also one that has a culture war brewing regarding pushback against homosexuality. Who exactly is supposed to be the audience for this? Her young fans are not going to be able to see it. Straight guys are not going to see it. Straight women are probably not going to be compelled to see it. Tennis fans are not going to have any inclination to see it. If you abstract those elements from the budget, the result is not worthy of derision to be honest. 

To be fair, straight women tend to be a big audience for homoerotic shows or movies.

Honestly, I don't feel the homoerotic aspect of Challengers affect so much the movie, since the promotion doesn't focus so much on that. The promotion focus was on a love triangle with Zendaya in the middle.