kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

More nonsense from you this weekend. You didn’t think for a second these films were opening to $40m and $70m. 

Also, Saltburn was everywhere. A pop culture moment. The zeitgeist. It wasn’t a one-weekend wonder either. America isn’t the only market. 

Show me the Global third-party non-Amazon streaming numbers for Saltburn.

They don’t exist, Krissykins.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it’s going to make about 80M worldwide on a 55M production budget. How is that good?

what is the reason people are going to bat for this film so much?

Because they want to make sure Zendaya is a box office draw, this is the whole purpose of making this movie.

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Show me the Global third-party non-Amazon streaming numbers for Saltburn.

They don’t exist, Krissykins.

Are you honestly trying to insinuate that…. Saltburn wasn’t a success? 

Awkward Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

were you asleep for the whole of November, December and January? 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Are you honestly trying to insinuate that…. Saltburn wasn’t a success? 

Awkward Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

were you asleep for the whole of November, December and January? 

Where are the numbers? The evidence? The proof? 

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Tina said:

Didn’t NHF come out during the summer? I think we should be comparing this to Don’t Worry Darling.

yes but  NHF was fighting with spider-man, flash, little mermaid, transformers, gog3...

I mean, 15M for this movie is not particularly a bad opening. I would like 20M, but 15M was always the baseline expected number, so i don’t know why people are surprised. 

It’s probably going to make 80-90M WW, it’s a decent result for a movie like this in 2024. 

The only problem is that is costs 55M, if it costs 25M everyone would call it a success. 

Obviously i know the budget is a problem and objectively will prevent the movie from being profitable (at least theatrically), don’t need anyone pointing that to me, but from what we know, it wasn’t supposed to cost this much and it did because it was shoot during Covid.

This is not the first and won’t be the last case of a movie doing relatively well for it’s genre but still not being profitable due to unexpected covid shooting. It’s not really fair to me to say that a movie like this should be doing 150-200M which is way higher than anyone expects for a semi arthouse sports drama simply because the budget blowed up in difficult times. 

It’s fair to discuss the problems situations like this are still creating, how it’ll depend on PVOD and streaming, how it’s disappointing to have another bummer in a already weak year. But it’s important to keep reminding the context of those things to not be the person that says movies that historically doesn’t do 200M should be doing now.

• Like 4

Funny watching people argue about Saltburn and Challengers and whether they are a success or not. I am not interested in either one of these movies but from a Pop Culture/ Box Office following perspective it is fun.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

So which star could open a bisexual R-rated tennis movie to these numbers or bigger? 

if no one could do better numbers than Zendaya does it mean that this movie was made to lose money?

• Like 1

I don't know how one could argue Saltburn didn't reach the zeitgeist when Sophie Ellis-Baxtor's "Murder on the Dancefloor" became a smash hit again (and for the first time in other countries) over two decades after its release entirely because of that movie. :lol:

And in particular how it was used in the movie, which became the subject of everything from jokes to stars being asked grossly inappropriate questions about it on red carpets.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Where are the numbers? The evidence? The proof? 

What do you think then, that every person talking about the film…. Didn’t watch it? Even what happened with Murder on the Dancefloor should give you an idea of Saltburn’s impact. 

https://deadline.com/2024/01/saltburn-prime-video-viewership-emerald-fennell-interview-1235699569/amp/

Trigger Warning: there’s some data from Amazon included in there too. 

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Boy Kills World is an atomic bomb.

It looks like one of those movies they don’t bother to remove after someone uploads it to YouTube.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it’s going to make about 80M worldwide on a 55M production budget. How is that good?

what is the reason people are going to bat for this film so much?

Because it's a good movie and the only people insisting that its performance is bad are those on BOT and Reddit who don't really know or care to know how the industry works and think production budgets are all that matter

Edited by AniNate
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, 15M for this movie is not particularly a bad opening. I would like 20M, but 15M was always the baseline expected number, so i don’t know why people are surprised. 

It’s probably going to make 80-90M WW, it’s a decent result for a movie like this in 2024. 

The only problem is that is costs 55M, if it costs 25M everyone would call it a success. 

Obviously i know the budget is a problem and objectively will prevent the movie from being profitable (at least theatrically), don’t need anyone pointing that to me, but from what we know, it wasn’t supposed to cost this much and it did because it was shoot during Covid.

This is not the first and won’t be the last case of a movie doing relatively well for it’s genre but still not being profitable due to unexpected covid shooting. It’s not really fair to me to say that a movie like this should be doing 150-200M which is way higher than anyone expects for a semi arthouse sports drama simply because the budget blowed up in difficult times. 

It’s fair to discuss the problems situations like this are still creating, how it’ll depend on PVOD and streaming, how it’s disappointing to have another bummer in an already weak year. But it’s important to keep reminding the context of those things to not be the person that says movies that historically doesn’t do 200M should be doing now.

Mte. It’s not like this film would magically make more money with a 20m budget. It’s making the money it was always going to make. So in that regard it’s a fine performance. 

• Like 1

Saltburn is a verified smash hit

those SambaTV data is hilarious. First because is not a super reliable data and it’s US only, second because there was given the information that the movie growed exponentially after it’s first week. 

Amazon did released global info about it for weeks, it was huge, this isn’t a discussion. And Challengers can follow the same route, even if smaller.

• Like 2

no way Deadline believes the summer will be under 3 billion?  Also, saying 40m opening weekend for Fall Guy

From Deadline- What happens now in this cruel summer box office that might not hit $3 billion? This coming weekend, it’s Universal’s The Fall Guy, starring Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling. If it’s lucky after a SXSW world premiere over a month ago, it will hit $40M, and the expectation is that movie will hold and pull in women thanks to post-Barbie Gosling Ken.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-challengers-zendaya-1235896116/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

no way Deadline believes the summer will be under 3 billion?  Also, saying 40m opening weekend for Fall Guy

From Deadline- What happens now in this cruel summer box office that might not hit $3 billion? This coming weekend, it’s Universal’s The Fall Guy, starring Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling. If it’s lucky after a SXSW world premiere over a month ago, it will hit $40M, and the expectation is that movie will hold and pull in women thanks to post-Barbie Gosling Ken.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-challengers-zendaya-1235896116/

Are they just throwing that 40 million out there or do they see something that supports that.You never know with Deadline.  At this point I would take that number if legs and WOM are strong.

20 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Saltburn is a verified smash hit

those SambaTV data is hilarious. First because is not a super reliable data and it’s US only, second because there was given the information that the movie growed exponentially after it’s first week. 

Amazon did released global info about it for weeks, it was huge, this isn’t a discussion. And Challengers can follow the same route, even if smaller.

Why they're not reliable? Even Disney privately uses them (and that's probably why they don't release numbers when their projects don't deliver like Andor).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Are they just throwing that 40 million out there or do they see something that supports that.You never know with Deadline.  At this point I would take that number if legs and WOM are strong.

I dont see anything in the article.  Could be Deadline Anthony tossing out a best case opening weekend after a lackluster weekend at the box office.