BadOlCatSylvester

Weekend Thread (5/17-19/2024) | WEEKEND ESTIMATES: $35M for IF, $12M for Strangers, $2.85M for Back to Black, $26M for Apes

As I'm sure everybody knows by now, it is Victoria Day weekend in Canada which always precedes Memorial Day Victoria Day is better known as May 2-4, as in a case of beer LOL Canadians go to a lot of movies on this holiday weekend so the Sunday drops should be about 5% less the Monday drops should be softer as well. Not by much but you will see a slight difference.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

87% RT auds score for IF.

Could children voting on Cinemascore still inflate it into the A range maybe? We know they can’t vote on fandango. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Could children voting on Cinemascore still inflate it into the A range maybe? We know they can’t vote on fandango. 

Yeah that’s likely gonna happen. Stuff like Lightyear and Super Persians Wish got RT Aud. Scores in the 80s IIRC, and both got to A-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric the IF said:

Yeah that’s likely gonna happen. Stuff like Lightyear and Super Persians Wish got RT Aud. Scores in the 80s IIRC, and both got to A-

Same for KFP4 iirc

Depends on skew, if it skews younger I can see an A like Migration in adults don’t vibe with it but families do.

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Wait I just realized something.

the purple character in IF is named Blue.

why did they name the purple character Blue.

F3ZT3tlbUAAb9eK.jpg

I’m sure that’s an oh so hilarious running gag they do all throughout the movie.

I know this is a long shot given the members of this forum; but is anyone going to see Babes this weekend? It’s not playing in my area until next week and I would love to hear a report from someone other than the clout chasers at SXSW who saw it. Hopefully it is as funny as those early reports have said.

Just now, LonePirate said:

I know this is a long shot given the members of this forum; but is anyone going to see Babes this weekend? It’s not playing in my area until next week and I would love to hear a report from someone other than the clout chasers at SXSW who saw it. Hopefully it is as funny as those early reports have said.

My mom texted me she had to see it, so I guess we will see it next week. I never even heard of it until she told me about it. I assumed she was talking about the pig movie.

9 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Here for The Strangers, let's hope it's weekend is better than its reviews.

Worst reviews of any horror this year. 16% currently. Yikes! Will be ironic if it has the biggest opening. But it wouldn’t be hard. 

12 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

What's up with horror this year lol. Like seriously what the fuck happened.

Night Swim is still the highest grossing horror this year. We’re in the trenches. We need Quiet Place to come out ASAP.

1 hour ago, Eric the IF said:

It took me a while to figure this out. I’ve not thought about NOPE since I watched it.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wboxoffice said:

Is it really a surprise?  I haven't seen one promo for it.  It's not as if they did a campaign like for Elvis or Bob Marley biopics with promotion everywhere, they just threw it out there...

I feel like I've seen some ads in the past week or so but I watched a WNBA game and HGTV. This Amy Winehouse movie was never going to have a huge audience in the US, better to be strategic with the ad spend.

5 hours ago, AJG said:

Our TV ratings are also ridiculous.

10 Million viewers watched the finale of the last run of Strictly Come Dancing in the UK. The US verision, Dancing With The Stars, only managed 5 Mil in America and that was considered damn good for ABC. For a country with such a smaller population, a lot of our popular TV is watched by an obscenely higher amount of people than what's observed in countries with significantly larger populations.

US Dancing with the Stars used to average 20 million viewers some seasons in the mid-2000s to 2010 before gradually falling off. We used to do two seasons per year until 2019, which probably caused DWTS to burnout faster. But US network TV ratings for anything but football are pretty weak these days.

I remember discussing with a Brit how UK networks seem to have much higher viewership per capita than the US, about 5-6 years ago. Their explanation was that UK cable/streaming had weaker slates than their US counterparts, so the British audience didn't get lured away from traditional TV the same way. Also it seems musical/variety programming has a much stronger foothold culturally. And  the annual "Strictly Curse" only adds to the publicity...

58 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I didn't see it but Babes was this Monday's secret/mystery movie for AMC/Regal/Cinemark. I've heard the humor is very Ilana Glazer so enjoyment of it depends on how much a person generally likes her style.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl