kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I got to believe with 4 million previews and good reception it does better than 30 for the 3 days and 35 for the weekend. Seems kind of lowball.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It would need a quite bad IM to get only 30M from 4M previews, especially with the inflated SUN 

Hoping for 35M, still not good OW but oh well 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Those both seem like low IMs, especially for Garfield (that would be significantly worse internal multiplier than IF despite an even younger audience and a holiday Sunday). Then again, everything does seem to kind of find a way to disappoint nowadays, so I am not ruling out Charlie being right as he usually is!

Edited by Cmasterclay

Furiosa I can kind of see (TGM did 6.6x w/ Early Access, 7.5x isn't too crazy IMO), but I call BS on Garfield only getting 10x. This isn't going to play like Little Mermaid or even Aladdin. I can buy it doing worse than IF's IM, but surely something like Cruella's 15.35x IM makes way more sense, right?

34 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Furiosa I can kind of see (TGM did 6.6x w/ Early Access, 7.5x isn't too crazy IMO), but I call BS on Garfield only getting 10x. This isn't going to play like Little Mermaid or even Aladdin. I can buy it doing worse than IF's IM, but surely something like Cruella's 15.35x IM makes way more sense, right?

Keysersoze seemed hopeful for 30m+ OW after strong preview walkups.

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

Well I trust Keysersoze with my life, so I'll believe him. (The user, not the guy from the movie :lol: )

20 minutes ago, YM! said:

Are you speaking about Furiosa or Garlfield?

30M for Furiosa 3 day weekend is predicted by Charlie.

23 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Furiosa starts off at 97% on the Rotten Tomatoes Verified Audience Score scale. Damn!

One of the best Verified Aud RT scores we've seen for an action movie in quite a while.

34 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Furiosa starts off at 97% on the Rotten Tomatoes Verified Audience Score scale. Damn!

FranSpeech on Twitter (his account is locked ATM) shared that the audience scores in France and South Korea were also strong ("En Francia 4.1/5 y en Corea del Sur : 96% CGV y 9.1 en Megabox.") so it seems to be resonating well with everyone that is seeing it. I checked the IMDb and Letterboxd scores yesterday afternoon (probably Cannes viewers and international markets), and they've also creeped up from 8.0 and 3.9 respectively to 8.1 and 4.0, which seems like a promising sign. Hopefully that means good WOM will spread after this weekend, maybe help cushion its second weekend drop since basically nothing new is opening?

58 minutes ago, Kon said:

Are you speaking about Furiosa or Garlfield?

30M for Furiosa 3 day weekend is predicted by Charlie.

Garfield

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, YM! said:

Garfield

I suspect that Garfield will beat Furiosa during the opening weekend. At least Garfield may have much bigger walkups than Furiosa.

Edited by John2015

Posted (edited)

Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised  "Mad Max" in general never really lit the box office on fire.  It's not like "Fury Road" did gangbusters but 380 WW for an Apocalyptic Sci-Fi was a good result (Though the Budget was crazy).  It seems this prequel is in the same boat (Huge budget, average returns).  As for "Garfield", the Bill Murray Versions only did "OK" and the "Tale of Two Kiddies" dropped from the original.  So well see if "Garfield" can take more of this family audience before "Inside 2" and "DM4".   I honestly feel everything would be doing better if the release dates just switched:

Furiosa - Early May

Fall Guy/Garfield - Mid May

Apes - Memorial Day

Edited by filmscholar

5 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I wonder if the low box office will kill the next Mad Max movie Miller was talking about making especially with WB financial trouble

Miller has the franchise rights, but I guess other studios won't agree to finance the next Mad Max movie.... unless Miller agree to make a PG-13 Mad Max film.