kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Has Hemsworth had a single non MCU hit? 

I know we're rewriting it because the prequel was a flop, and it's not a particularly good movie, but Snow White & The Huntsman was considered a success when it first came out. In fact Hems got really lucky for a minute because that first year post Thor, things looked great. Little did we know. 

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I know we're rewriting it because the prequel was a flop, and it's not a particularly good movie, but Snow White & The Huntsman was considered a success when it first came out. In fact Hems got really lucky for a minute because that first year post Thor, things looked great. Little did we know. 

I genuinely forgot Snow White & The Huntsman even existed until this very post right here. Can you believe that movie adjusts to a whopping 210M in today's money?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

And lets not forget Chris Pine bombing both with D&D and Poolman.

Chris leading man are a dying bread.

They’re gonna call 2024 in The Inqui-Chris-ion

7 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

I genuinely forgot Snow White & The Huntsman even existed until this very post right here. Can you believe that movie adjusts to a whopping 210M in today's money?

Remembering that it opened to 56m in 2012, made me both confused and sad at the time. 

The GAs relationship with these stars hasn’t changed much recently. Hemsworth as Thor is an event. Hemsworth as a bad guy with a fake nose is not. Ryan Gosling as Ken and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool are worth visiting a theater. Gosling as a stunt guy and Reynolds in a  poor man’s live action Pixar are streaming movies. All of these actors have reinforced this by taking lazy paycheck gigs in Netflix movies. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

It also had a sequel with Emily Blunt - it’s legit a good time.

• Haha 1

Saw the nearly 4 minute Wicked trailer in front of Furiosa last night. Helped push the feature’s start a whopping 29 minutes from the posted showtime. Gotta love AMC. Nicole got applause from last nights crowd tho, which is always fun. 

This actually holding pretty ok and follow closely with the Lost City, the difference is Fall Guy opened slightly lower. Still thinking that Universal put wrong marketing focus to try to sell this movie as a tribute to stunt, ignoring the fact that even the industry peers themselves tend to overlook Stuntman, just look at how Oscar snub the entire department after nearly 100 years, let alone general public. 

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

At least IF and Apes hold reasonably ok. With just 50% 2nd weekend drop, IF could be another 100m movie for tepid May.

Furiosa wasn't one of the safe bet hits of the Summer, but this probably means it will miss $100m dom... yea, not good. At least Apes is doing better than I expected & IF is doing decently! Garfield was always gonna be a wild card, honestly wouldn't have been surprised even if it had made twice as much as it's making, but I'm not surprised now either. Inside Out better pull a Spider-Verse.

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This actually holding pretty ok and follow closely with the Lost City, the difference is Fall Guy opened slightly lower. Still thinking that Universal put wrong marketing focus to try to sell this movie as a tribute to stunt, ignoring the fact that even the industry peers themselves tend to overlook Stuntman, just look at how Oscar snub the entire department after nearly 100 years, let alone general public. 

This might actually get to $90m off a $27m opening. Still not good obviously, but damn it's holding!

• Like 1

Well it’s basically impossible for GxK to get to 200m now. The theater cuts really hurt it. It’s actually going to miss Skull Islands worldwide number now too. Darn. 

• Sad 3

I don't think we can actually blame either Chris or Anya for the overall rejection of this even with their names literally plastered all over the movie's marketing materials. The draw here was clearly meant to be the Mad Max/Fury Road connection (that they added "A Mad Max Saga" to the title should've been the warning that they could sense trouble was on the horizon), it just ended up being not much of one to the GA (as seen by the rather low Thursday-to-actual-Friday multiplier).

• Like 1

Disaster for Furiosa, no way to spin it

Social media is already trying to explain how if Charlize is in it, it would be very different, and yeah, doubt that tbh

On top of that, weird incels is already talking about go woke go broke and the death of feminism, i hope they choke

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings on this whole depressing BO. Yeah it sucks but not going to lose sleep over two mid at best family movies not breaking out that you know decided to open in back to back weekends when there was a over a two month wasteland of no family movies opening when one could have moved too.  As for Furiosa it's a prequel to a movie that the GA did not love as much as us people in the bubble did and 9 years is a long time to expect the GA that did like  to care and anticipate it. I am seeing it today and hope I love it. That is all I can do.  Apes is doing solid and at least will get to or make slightly more than the previous movie DOM. The Fall Guy should have been cheaper and not opened the summer and yeah Gosling should take some of the blame for doing The Gray Man.  Bad Boys ROD, IO2, QP Day One, DM4, Twisters, and of course DP and W will all do degree's of good to great.  And in the fall/winter  you got Beetlejuice, Joker/Harley, Venom 3, Gladiator 2,  Wicked Part 1, Sonic 3 and Mufassa.  if a bunch of those bomb or underperform then yeah we are fucked.

• Like 1

Both Garfield and Furiosa has bad Thursday to Friday ratio and walkups, this pretty much confirm my theory. If you have a bad walkups on the Thursday preview day, that effect of bad walkups will just got carried over through over the weekend, unless there is crowd shifting to Sunday from Friday due to long weekend.