kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [05.28 - 05.30, 2024] | Thursday | 1.85M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 1.73M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA

1 minute ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Yet they prominently included it in all references to their theatrical release calendar. Is this stealthily a trial balloon for some alternate distribution pattern?

FWIW this was originally a Disney+ exclusive so maybe it was part of the deal that it get as quiet a release as possible just to give it a sense of legitimacy when it lands there (a common complaint towards streaming titles is that they often come across as fake movies).

Or maybe it's just Disney being selective about what they report, again. They didn't release the numbers for any of the Disney 100 re-releases last year, yet allowed the puny grosses of the Pixar movies seeing the light of day on the big screen for the first time to be available for all to see.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AJG said:

Bloody hell. 

The weekend thread might not reach 5 pages.

All that panic over the "worst Memorial Day frame in 30 years" headlines made us forget that this weekend will likely be even worse. I'm genuinely starting to wonder how many theaters will even make it to next year at this point.

• Like 4

When we so all those 2023 major bombs last year . That was red flag.

Some users thought it was good and audience tastes were changing but Nah.

NTCS and popular tentpoles not doing well is really bad for the market. If they are not willing to give them a chance ,why would they give the same to mid budget movies?

Movie like fall Guy  ,IF and furiousa would have made more pre covid. 

But now harder economical times,crappy theatres, literal surge of streaming in covid times . The whole I "must watch this in cinema" bubble has bust .

From 2022 onwards  . Movies  for the most part are either over performing or severely underperforming expectations.  Market is no longer as predictable and stable as it was.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

When we so all those 2023 major bombs last year . That was red flag.

Some users thought it was good and audience tastes were changing but Nah.

NTCS and popular tentpoles not doing well is really bad for the market. If they are not willing to give them a chance ,why would they give the same to mid budget movies?

Movie like fall Guy  ,IF and furiousa would have made more pre covid. 

But now harder economical times,crappy theatres, literal surge of streaming in covid times . The whole I "must watch this in cinema" bubble has bust .

From 2022 onwards  . Movies  for the most part are either over performing or severely underperforming expectations.  Market is no longer as predictable and stable as it was.

Bad superhero movies flopping wasn’t a problem. Mission Impossible underperforming was my personal red flag.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Guancous said:

Current Furiosa copium levels: "Surely the Australian government will step in and fund The Wasteland..."

Maybe some of that Bluey money can go to the cause

5 hours ago, Kon said:

Is it so recently? I'm not sure this situation started due to COVID or short theatrical windows. The big OW trend seems to have started with superhero movies 

Honestly, I suspect people are just used to MCU movies where a 60% fall for their second weekend was good due to big OW.

It start in the franchise boom of the early 2000s for sure, in the 80s-90s, movie distributor had nuts to cover (a cost to have their movie play that cover electricity, bulb use and what not) in theaters but otherwise were keeping a giant amount of the ticket sales of the first weekends with a slide going down.

Early 2000s that went away, going from keeping 20% to 80% over time of tickets sales for movie theater could not work, now it is a flat fees almost all the time, sliding scale being a thing of the past.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AJG said:

Bad superhero movies flopping wasn’t a problem. Mission Impossible underperforming was my personal red flag.

With how good the reception of the previous one, Tom Cruise Top Gun peak zeitgest, 96% RT score, 94% audience, A cinemascore...

Opening lower than Rogue Nation with that amount of inflation.... certainly a down, and showed the impact of the shift in the China market quite a lot.

Only redeeming aspect on that one, Barbie-Oppenheimer opening the next weekend did take a lot of oxygen out of the room and wrecked its legs.

It is hard to talk about july 2023 has a redflag when it come to the theatrical business...

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Following Fury Road's post Memorial Day weekend holds puts it at....$11.1m, or a 58% drop. Hopefully it can manage a bit more without any significant new openers.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

40 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Woah, Garfield beating Furiosa on their first regular Thursday... I suppose Haikyuu did get some of Furiosa's IMAXes for its preview night, but still.... Maybe the summer vacation effect is officially kicking in.

27 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Maybe some of that Bluey money can go to the cause

Fun fact: all the merchandise rights to Bluey are actually held by the BBC.

• Like 1