kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

My eldest son is 11, and likes going to the movies. 

Last year at this time, there was no shortage of films in May/June to take him to. GOTG3, Fast X, ATSV, Transformers.

This year, there's nothing for that preteen/teenage boys, there's not much. Fall Guy aims older. Two over the hill cops on a last adventure isn't quite that appealing. 

We saw POTA because it was the best option for him this period. And he hasn't seen any of the other Apes films.

It's really slim pickings for a demographic that drives a lot of theatre business.

Would love to know the strategy here where you only have a whopping four PG-13 action movies to choose from the entire summer (Fall Guy, Apes, Quiet Place, Twisters). And I'm stretching things here hard for Quiet Place. This is just frankly inexcusable for the summer time, even if you want to use the strike excuse. Even just adding in Ghostbusters some time in June or something would have made a world of difference.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

We were too harsh on Apes. With everything else bombing so hard in May, Apes did fantastic for a sequel no one wanted compared to everything else.

Too many were focused on hyping up the prequel that we are learning nobody wanted (Furiosa). 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Apes 160 looking more likely,  IF 100+ def happening, The Fall Guy 90m.  Garfield still not looking at 100 m esp with IO 2 coming in two weeks but still decent for a movie that only cost 60m. The only loser that is not saving a little face is Furiosa. Sad.

Just now, Squire said:

Too many were focused on hyping up the prequel that we are learning nobody wanted (Furiosa). 

i don't really buy this "nobody wanted this or that" theory. Nobody wanted top gun sequel but it blow up to 700m++, it is only until then people start to attribute the breakout to various reasons. That is classic way of captain afterthought. Likewise for Wonka, a prequel that went so successful. I bet if that movie turns out flopped, people would easily attribute it to "because nobody wanted a Wonka prequel".

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Eric Lasagna said:

Would love to know the strategy here where you only have a whopping four PG-13 action movies to choose from the entire summer (Fall Guy, Apes, Quiet Place, Twisters). And I'm stretching things here hard for Quiet Place. This is just frankly inexcusable for the summer time, even if you want to use the strike excuse. Even just adding in Ghostbusters some time in June or something would have made a world of difference.

This is the stuff that makes one think they are trying to tank the whole thing. I mean some of the scheduling decisions the studios have been making post strike are just baffling.

This weekend will gross around 68m.   Im thinking June's box office might go under 700m.  

Kraven the Hunter could have been dumped in June. 

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder how The Marvels would've fared had it been pushed to first weekend of May after Deadpool & Wolverine moved. Not enough to save it from disaster obviously since, like Furiosa, too many people were clearly not here for it on a concept level, but I think it would've at least avoided the embarrassment of not even hitting $100M total due to an absence of direct competition around it.

This summer is clearly feeling the heat from the strikes, though one can't claim they didn't see it coming just from looking at the schedule.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

i don't really buy this "nobody wanted this or that" theory. Nobody wanted top gun sequel but it blow up to 700m++, it is only until then people start to attribute the breakout to various reasons. That is classic way of captain afterthought. Likewise for Wonka, a prequel that went so successful. I bet if that movie turns out flopped, people would easily attribute it to "because nobody wanted a Wonka prequel".

Willy Wonka and Top Gun are bigger brands than Mad Max though. I feel anyone should have been able to guess that a spin off/prequel 9 years later to a film that wasn't even a huge hit likely wasn't going to light the box office on fire

23 minutes ago, Eric Lasagna said:

A Quiet Place is PG-13?

24 minutes ago, Eric Lasagna said:

We should have realised that studios actually don't have any strategy when they refused to collaborate with one another and the theaters during Covid. If the studios had actually got together, discussed a way to have one big movie every 2 weeks with a smaller movie in between, they could have come out of the Covid lull stronger, theaters would have become the communal space again, and movies would have been saved from being looked at as "wait for streaming". The studios let the industry down during the recovery from Covid.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We should have realised that studios actually don't have any strategy when they refused to collaborate with one another and the theaters during Covid. If the studios had actually got together, discussed a way to have one big movie every 2 weeks with a smaller movie in between, they could have come out of the Covid lull stronger, theaters would have become the communal space again, and movies would have been saved from being looked at as "wait for streaming". The studios let the industry down during the recovery from Covid.

Let it be known, that four years ago, I warned everybody what was going to happen. And like...I'm not wrong!

On 3/12/2020 at 4:09 PM, Eric Lasagna said:

Capitalism is gonna kill us faster than corona will

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Willy Wonka and Top Gun are bigger brands than Mad Max though. I feel anyone should have been able to guess that a spin off/prequel 9 years later to a film that wasn't even a huge hit likely wasn't going to light the box office on fire

The point is not about brand, is about people obsession to only figure out a reason after a movie become a flop or success. It looks like they are just giving explanation to fit into something that already happened.  

The point is not about "Nobody wanted this or that", it is more like "Nobody know what everyone wanted". 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

A Quiet Place is PG-13?

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yes, all of the movies in the franchise to date have been PG-13.

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

All of them are. They don't have swearing for obvious reasons and there's no gore.

A Quiet Place was one of the best movies of 2018, it's horror came from tension and atmosphere. It sucks that there's a revisionist movement against the film now-a-days though

Another issue lingering with American cinema is overdependent of English-language title. I feel like American public only watch their own movies. In Malaysia, when MCU fatigue and strike impacting cinema, regional movies from Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, SKorea, India and Japan quickly filling up the market and ensure the industry staying afloat. Diversifying content regardless of region or language is really paying off for Malaysian cinema to recover.

For USA, people should start seeing the benefit of this diversification. Don't forget that last year both Heron + Godzilla-1 combined made 100m is the reason why December ended up pretty ok without mega-hit like A2 or NWH.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

That’s why I said we are learning nobody wanted it. Impossible to know that ahead of time. 

• Like 1

Great holds Across the board. Except for Furiosa. That's at least nice in a weekend without anything relevant.

At least we have Bad Boys next weekend. A weekend like this and June 21st is very weird. Twisters probably should have opened there. 

There's still time for Ketchup Entertainment to acquire Megalopolis's corpse and dump on June 21st and open below Bikeriders and Kinds of Kindness. We have a chance here.