kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [Jun 17-20, 2024] | Thursday | 19.63M INSIDE OUT II | 2.85M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE

9 hours ago, Sindreee said:

Always found this opinion to be fascinating. Disney has more or less done this forever, the direct to DVD boom in the 90’s when all their greatest hits got sequels. 

And their recent money making live action remakes have more or less proved that their brand wasn’t ruined because of it, even though most of the direct to dvd movies were horrible.

Just make good quality shows and it won’t diminish anything from the brand imo.

For a more recent example, Disney+ did a series of shorts for Zootopia that came and went. I don't think anyone considered them to be particularly good or special. Does anyone really expect Zootopia 2 to be a flop because of those shorts?

Doing some shorts based on Riley's dreams on D+ is not going to affect the Inside Out brand. The dream studios thing wasn't even a part of IO2. Plus with the way Pixar makes movies, even a fast tracked IO3 would be at least 5 years away. A D+ show is not going to be part of the discussion in 2029 or later.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Flip said:

One exception: 

tom cruise maverick GIF

It's interesting how disconnected certain groups have become culturally. Top Gun was gigantic and yet I don't think I heard a word about it anywhere besides this forum. Nobody I knew saw it and it generated less online discourse then even avatar.

Meanwhile there's a huge amount of older men who just don't engage with any aspect of popular modern culture lol

• Like 1

Disney is saying 30m Wednesday it seems. Dory's Sunday and Monday to Thursday drop would both put it at 20m, so that seems like a reasonable bet. I could see a bigger 40% drop today to 18m, would put it well above Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 levels, a bit below Dory but with much more demand burned off during the week and possibly set up for a bigger Friday and Saturday bump.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

It's interesting how disconnected certain groups have become culturally. Top Gun was gigantic and yet I don't think I heard a word about it anywhere besides this forum. Nobody I knew saw it and it generated less online discourse then even avatar.

Meanwhile there's a huge amount of older men who just don't engage with any aspect of popular modern culture lol

Not from where I was standing. It was talked about even more than Avatar in my circles, outside the forum. 

• Like 2

Looking at MTC1 show counts, it seems on par with last week !!! That is unprecedented based on what I have seen for previous mega openers. I feel we will see something special this weekend. I am hoping for Friday in upper 20s 🙂

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Inside Out Disney GIF

$600m Dom+$840m OS?

I don't really know how to gauge the entire OS market though. I just know that China and Japan aren't too likely to be breakouts. But LATAM is going crazy.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Looking at MTC1 show counts, it seems on par with last week !!! That is unprecedented based on what I have seen for previous mega openers. I feel we will see something special this weekend. I am hoping for Friday in upper 20s 🙂

Definitely helps that there’s no new release in over 3k theaters

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I expecting 20M for Thursday and the same pace as Dory so around 26,5-27M for Friday and 85-87M for 2nd Weekend but if high 20's Friday happen 90M is locked

Juneteenth show some real boost to the BO. In 2024, 41% of the private companies gave their workers a paid holiday on Juneteenth, up from 39% in 2023 and it was just 9% when it was declared as public holiday. Still among the lowest percentage of paid holiday but enough to boost the BO to >50% of what they normally would have. 

• Like 6

Garfield's hold suggest it will close out with an annoying 95m+. BBDL has been following 22 jump street closely and if that continue to hold, BBDL will be the third movie in 2024 that narrowly miss 200m. 

Post-Covid, we have been getting more and more this kind of annoying finish. 

1 hour ago, Killimano3 said:

Even the biggest blockbusters are still seen in theaters by less than a fifth of the US population.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Even the biggest blockbusters are still seen in theaters by less than a fifth of the US population.

yeah ticket prices are so high that even if 10% of the north American population watches a movie it would gross near 600 million dollars.