Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

10 minutes ago, Selma said:

are we gonna see an original movie ever getting 1 Billion again ? is Nolan gonna do it with an original movie personally i don't think so his movies aren't really 4 quadrants like Titanic or Avatar or ET , Oppenheimer came close 

Oppenheimer gets there if Russia's box office had counted, though sticklers would say it's not a true original (based on famous historical events and a book).

The next Nolan movie seems like the best chance (if it is an original) but unexpected things happen. Watch it be from Angel Studios or something...

If anyone wants to see some pretty good animation this weekend, they should watch the new Daffy Duck short. It's called Daffy in Wackyland. Funniest thing from Looney Tunes in like decades. Its on Max but someone also uploaded it to YouTube so watch it before it gets taken off

• Like 3

Regarding UK box office being down for IO2

Is weather the only factor? I think having Eras Tour in London is also a factor. 90k daily attendance is lot imo and many with families.

Plus many hollywood stars there too ( just wanted to post this lol)

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If anyone wants to see some pretty good animation this weekend, they should watch the new Daffy Duck short. It's called Daffy in Wackyland. Funniest thing from Looney Tunes in like decades. Its on Max but someone also uploaded it to YouTube so watch it before it gets taken off

I quite like the Looney Tunes Cartoons series which the Daffy in Wackyland is a part of. I saw the short a few days ago and really dug the stop motion artistry.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The gender splits for the non-acting categories and the Anonymous Oscar Ballots aren't promising. Plus, every year the headlines out of nominations morning would be, how many men vs women vs non-binary acting nominees there are. Is AMPAS really ready for the #OscarsSoMale and #OscarsSoWhite combo in the same year? But I get actors not wanting to choose a category when they don't feel they belong in either.

Another thing, look at the reaction to Margot Robbie missing Best Actress for Barbie: fans blamed it on sexism and the patriarchy, when the category still had 5 women and Gosling wasn't competing with her. Now imagine how much louder the backlash would've been if last season's hypothetical Lead Performance Oscar had 10 nominees but had gone 6/10, 7/10 male.

A good middle ground is if they have an American Idol Top 12 style fixed quota of men and women nominees (5 each) for the Oscar and then one of those 10 gets selected. Ofc this still leaves nb actors out in the cold.

10 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Is weather the only factor? I think having Eras Tour in London is also a factor. 90k daily attendance is lot imo and many with families.

Eras Tour has been going on around the country for a week and made no difference. It's all weather. 

• Like 1

Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out 2 continues to keep the box office alive with what’s shaping up to be a record second weekend for an animated movie per industry sources with $98M+ after $30M Friday, beating Illumination/Universal’s Super Mario Bros Movie ($92.3M). Studios will report their official figures later this morning. At this level, some rival distributors believe Inside Out 2 could get closer to $600M.

Guys, I don't know if any of you noticed this piece from the Deadline report this morning, but the $98M+ being projected for Inside Out 2 is according to just industry sources and not Disney. Also, Deadline didn't report or change what the actual numbers were that the studios reported later in the day. Disney reported $30.5M for IO2 instead of Deadline's $30.0M. 

$500,000 may not seem like much of a difference and I could be just reading too much into it, but I'm just sensing that we're gonna get that $100M+ second weekend number and Deadline is waiting to report it either very late tonight or as soon as the morning.

We'll see especially from some reports tonight, but this is gonna be great!

1 hour ago, Selma said:

are we gonna see an original movie ever getting 1 Billion again ? is Nolan gonna do it with an original movie personally i don't think so his movies aren't really 4 quadrants like Titanic or Avatar or ET , Oppenheimer came close 

Maybe that Spielberg movie in a couple years.

29 minutes ago, YM! said:

I quite like the Looney Tunes Cartoons series which the Daffy in Wackyland is a part of. I saw the short a few days ago and really dug the stop motion artistry.

I do really like the rest of the new cartoons too. Sometimes I feel like they even get more insane and fucked up than the original cartoons which I liked (the whole episode where tweety bird is inside Sylvester’s body and the whole episode becomes body horror was a highlight)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Maybe that Spielberg movie in a couple years.

Nah, Spielberg’s never getting to a billion again unless he makes an ET sequel (don’t want it but oh man, that would be an insane box office performance to watch).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I do really like the rest of the new cartoons too. Sometimes I feel like they even get more insane and fucked up than the original cartoons which I liked (the whole episode where tweety bird is inside Sylvester’s body and the whole episode becomes body horror was a highlight)

The guy who developed them was in charge of Uncle Grandpa - a CN show I remember watching a bit of as a young teen. The Sylvester and Tweety ones are highlights (the vet one’s ending had me howling).

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, Spielberg’s never getting to a billion again unless he makes an ET sequel.

Well whatever actually does probably wouldn't be expected to do so.

42 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

The mania over here is insane, but to be fair she was in Liverpool last weekend with 60,000 a night for three straight nights and the movie had one of the biggest animated opening weekends ever. 

We’re a nation of nearly 68 million, although admittedly millions will likely be monitoring the show online, as they have been for the whole tour. Which feels like it’s at its peak of phenomena at the moment. 

I saw her in Cardiff on Tuesday. Magnificent. Was about six rows of people from the stage too. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

Just saw Bikeriders. It was a solid watch. But it never jumps to to that next level. It feels like it just stays in one gear the whole run time. This is not the movie to freak out about the struggles of non tentpole adult movie going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

A good middle ground is if they have an American Idol Top 12 style fixed quota of men and women nominees (5 each) for the Oscar and then one of those 10 gets selected. Ofc this still leaves nb actors out in the cold.

The LA Film Critics Association has gender neutral acting categories now, but picks two Leading and Supporting winners each. Of course they all debate on votes together for one day in a room, so they can reach an agreeable consensus. Last year, their winners were 3 women out of 4. I'm not holding my breath for the reverse to ever happen with them.

Anyone else's regular multiplex playing stuff you've absolutely never heard of? Today my local has a Lena Dunham movie, another with Dolly de Leon, one about the final months of Katherine Parr's marriage to Henry VIII, and apparently AMC booked Origin as a $5 Fan Fave for Juneteenth and held it over. No wonder I saw a new clip of Ava DuVernay on a talk show this week. Can't believe we have two Oscar season holdovers in theaters still.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, Spielberg’s never getting to a billion again unless he makes an ET sequel (don’t want it but oh man, that would be an insane box office performance to watch).

Could make a lot from older folks and nostalgia, but I wonder if ET is really that big with younger demographics. All I have is my own experience but I feel like most people born in the last couple decades don't have much nostalgia for ET in the same way as big brands like star wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic park, even ghost busters

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I miss the 2010s box office, where there were huge franchises but originals and awards bait could also make bank. Even with 2019 movies, things like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917 and Little Women made money that's impossible to imagine now. But if I'm going to keep following box office, I decided it's better to take it for what it is and appreciate the bright spots.

The Academy president made headlines this week for comments on gender neutral acting categories, they are exploring the issue. The Grammys are genderless now but still have over 90 categories. But people got mad that time Ed Sheeran won a category over 4 other women and called it sexist.

The gender splits for the non-acting categories and the Anonymous Oscar Ballots aren't promising. Plus, every year the headlines out of nominations morning would be, how many men vs women vs non-binary acting nominees there are. Is AMPAS really ready for the #OscarsSoMale and #OscarsSoWhite combo in the same year? But I get actors not wanting to choose a category when they don't feel they belong in either.

Another thing, look at the reaction to Margot Robbie missing Best Actress for Barbie: fans blamed it on sexism and the patriarchy, when the category still had 5 women and Gosling wasn't competing with her. Now imagine how much louder the backlash would've been if last season's hypothetical Lead Performance Oscar had 10 nominees but had gone 6/10, 7/10 male.

I mean yeah this stuff is getting out of control. The gender neutral acting categories is an awful, awful idea. Like why fix what truly ain't broke?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The LA Film Critics Association has gender neutral acting categories now  but picks two Leading and Supporting winners each. Of course they all debate on votes together for one day in a room, so they can reach an agreeable consensus. Last year, their winners were 3 women out of 4. I'm not holding my breath for the reverse to ever happen with them.

Anyone else's regular multiplex playing stuff you've absolutely never heard of? Today my local has a Lena Dunham movie, another with Dolly de Leon, one about the final months of Katherine Parr's marriage to Henry VIII, and apparently AMC booked Origin as a $5 Fan Fave for Juneteenth and held it over. No wonder I saw a new clip of Ava DuVernay on a talk show this week. Is there another award for Origin not to get nominated for?

Yeah but what's even the point of that?

To be clear, I'm not being snarky. I'm actually curious.

Edited by Insomnia