Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

Look at the insanity. It had just 43% drop on Monday which was insane. Next 2 days the BO was on steroids due to discount tuesday/Juneteenth. I expected a soft Friday increase due to that it just crushed past even our optimistic predictions. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Look at the insanity. It had just 43% drop on Monday which was insane. Next 2 days the BO was on steroids due to discount tuesday/Juneteenth. I expected a soft Friday increase due to that it just crushed past even our optimistic predictions. 

Yeah that Friday increase despite the massive weekdays was absurd. It's the best of Finding Dory AND Incredibles 2 in terms box office behaviour.

I wonder how Monday's gonna look. If it has a similar drop to the one the first Monday had, it would get to around $18.1M, which would be insane. I'm guessing the drop will be larger.

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

It was a better line-up than the subsequent year for sure.

Agreed. Absolute horrible that we had Coda, Belfast, Don’t Look Up, King Richard … some of the most boring, safe and even retrograde projects in some cases up there.

In 2021 while i probably prefer The Father in retrospect, Nomadland was a strong movie, it’s victory was totally well accepted overall. In 2022 the amazing Power of the Dog lost to CODA, it just felt insane.

Not even talking about King Richard and Tammy Faye winning acting. Belfast winning screenplay. 

Oh my God i hated that year it makes me mad even now. Jane Campion was the single bright spot in the main categories, love her.

Edited by ThomasNicole

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

In 2022 the amazing Power of the Dog lost to CODA, it just felt insane.

Power of the Dog didn't connect with the general audience, there's a stat that movies with the rating below 7 on imdb don't win Best Picture, so I knew it wouldn't win with its 6.8 imdb, the fact it won Best Director and got all those noms at all is kinda impressive since critics loved it much more than audiences and The Academy usually prefers movies that connect with the general audience.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed. Absolute horrible that we had Coda, Belfast, Don’t Look Up, King Richard … some of the most boring, safe and even retrograde projects in some cases up there.

In 2021 while i probably prefer The Father in retrospect, Nomadland was a strong movie, it’s victory was totally well accepted overall. In 2022 the amazing Power of the Dog lost to CODA, it just felt insane.

Not even talking about King Richard and Tammy Faye winning acting. Belfast winning screenplay. 

Oh my God i hated that year it makes me mad even now. Jane Campion was the single bright spot in the main categories, love her.

Maybe it’s a good thing Will Smith memory holed the whole night for everyone. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Grosses

DOMESTIC (48.9%)
$356,393,666

Just about .5m away from surpassing the original, unadjusted in 10 days...

DOMESTIC (41.6%)
$356,921,711

2 minutes ago, XXR & Friends said:

Chances of IO2 having the second biggest, 3rd weekend? It would need to hit $68.5M to pull it off (-32.3%).

Probably not. But who knows at this point.

9 hours ago, JimmyB said:

From Deadline.

If Inside Out 2 arrives at $60M for a weekend 3, it will likely beat this weekend’s newcomer, A Quiet Place: Day One which is hovering at $42M+ with Imax per tracking. Kevin Costner’s three-hour Horizon via New Line will be lucky to do low double-digits. Hopefully the Yellowstone crowd heads to the theater after the Oscar winner revealed he’s not coming back for the final season of the Paramount+ series.

65-70+ million for 3rd weekend Inside Out 2.