Eric Wilson

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

I think this Wednesday number for IO2 is actually pretty good. Would we want it to hold better? Of course, but this 7.1m number is still good. And it’s only the estimated number.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Keep in mind that 4th of July fireworks are going to depress evening/night shows today (aside from locations impacted by bad weather).

While true DM2 had a mostly the same opening schedule, it just also had Tuesday previews. 

Granted DM2's true Wednesday was also a bit over 30mil with a 24mil Thursday

I think it's worth noting that Despicable Me 4 and Inside Out 2 aren't dropping much from Wednesday because they are family films and most families typically go to the movies early in the morning or afternoon. 

So a lot of the business (or walk-ups) comes from earlier in the day and that's usually before all of the Fourth of July activities. Therefore, that's why DM4 is only dropping somewhere between 20-25% and why IO2 will stay pretty much flat from yesterday.

8 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Tbh IF made Garfield look bad, really surprised (in a bad way) it couldn’t make over $100M DOM

Some context though:

Garfield has made 4x its production budget theatrically alone.

IF hasn’t even hit 2x yet. And won’t. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AniNate said:

Worth noting that it was particularly enthusiastic word of mouth for a different original movie that was a factor in Ruby Gillman's doom

22 hours ago, YM! said:

Also a fifteen year putting more effort into its social media marketing than Dreamworks was another red flag.

Also, as I take a Twitter hiatus for my mental well being I learned Ruby Gillman has a fanbase there and a very weird one.

Ruby Gillman was also the sacrificial lamb that Universal made for Oppenheimer's success (being the one movie they released 3 weeks before Oppenheimer).

Anyways the fanbase from what I can see seems resentful that people see the movie as derivative of Turning Red lol.

29 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Ruby Gillman was also the sacrificial lamb that Universal made for Oppenheimer's success (being the one movie they released 3 weeks before Oppenheimer).

Anyways the fanbase from what I can see seems resentful that people see the movie as derivative of Turning Red lol.

I’m sure all five of them get quite worked up. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

If no one talks about a movie does it mean it doesn't exist?

• Like 1

The good thing is that even if Despicable Me 4 ends up slightly below $120M over five days, it'll still have a higher five-day total than Despicable Me 3 ($99M) way back in 2017. 

Hopefully this guarantees a final domestic total of at least $250M-$300M.