Eric Wilson

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Therefor that it had combined (Wed + Thu) only 70 sold tickets in my theaters (Sound of Freedom had over 1k on Tuesday for Tuesday and ~ 400 on Tuesday for Friday) that's an ok number...

Edited by el sid

7 hours ago, Maaatt said:

thats true.. though its also like what if the sport you really liked depended on a level of success for a broad base of other teams for the league to financially survive, you cant have a viable league with just one or 2 teams.. and you need the league to survive if you want to be able to continue to root for your team to win and want to be able to continue to go see your team play. Cause thats kind of like the scenario one could argue we have been in with theatrical exhibition. I may not like some of the junk that makes a ton of money but at least that enables theaters (and studios for that matter) to survive and be able to produce & show riskier things that may not make a ton of money.. Which is why many of us

are emotionally invested in just seeing  movies succeed, regardless if its our favorite.

Yeah I don't disagree with anything you're saying. Most of the people on here are invested in the success of movie theaters to one extent or another. But sometimes people get resentful when someone isn't rooting for absolutely everything to succeed and it's worth pointing out that even if everyone on this forum joins hands and spends all of our collective energy rooting for every movie, it won't change whether or not theaters survive.

5 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I would argue Inside out 2 blowing up likely saved DM4 from flopping by bringing people back to theaters.

Nah, many people can´t afford going to the theater with 2-3 kids more than once this quickly and have to choose 1 movie.

DM4 always tracked well and had solid presales even before IO2 opens, but the walkups was weaker than expected for example

• Like 5

Y'all were talking about biggest disappointments this year. I was drunk the other night and put on The Beekeeper. I couldn't do it, it was so stupid. I just started fast forwarding to the scenes where Jason Statham kills people.

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

In A Violent Nature is the biggest let down of the year so far for me. 

Around 40 people walked out half an hour in (it was a secret screening and they probably wanted Maxxxine). But it’s so slow and repetitive and kills its own momentum every time. 

The Watchers still worst of the year for me though, whew what an ugly mess. 

Violent Nature is a 1/5. 

MaXXXine is a 2/5. 

I had no expectations for Violent Nature (critics are a joke nowadays; their hype rolled off of me) so I wasn't disappointed. MaXXXine follows two very good movies so that was a major letdown. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I assume that 3.5m from  sound of hope include “extended” preview? Even if it made just 2m for real July 4th, that look pretty ok for some 25m finish isn’t? 

1.8 million for Horizon is interesting if correct. That’s a huge increase from Wednesday. I wonder if there is good WOM in rural areas where it was selling a majority of its tickets.

14 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Y'all were talking about biggest disappointments this year. I was drunk the other night and put on The Beekeeper. I couldn't do it, it was so stupid. I just started fast forwarding to the scenes where Jason Statham kills people.

That movie’s bee puns made it all worth it for me, a buzzing good time

1 minute ago, abracadabra1998 said:

That movie’s bee puns made it all worth it for me, a buzzing good time

I watched it in a theater while cross faded and it was an incredible experience tbh

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Violent Nature is a 1/5. 

MaXXXine is a 2/5. 

I had no expectations for Violent Nature (critics are a joke nowadays; their hype rolled off of me) so I wasn't disappointed. MaXXXine follows two very good movies so that was a major letdown. 

I rated In a Violent Nature and MaXXXine the same, but man was Violent Nature a bore.

18 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Watched Godzilla x Kong last night.. Now that was stupid and deserved some forwarding

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I rated In a Violent Nature and MaXXXine the same, but man was Violent Nature a bore.

You guys are in for a ride if you catch Longlegs. FANTASTIC movie. Don`t miss it

Really hope it crushes MaXXXine

• Like 1

DM4 is doing pretty much as expected. It will probably end up close to $300M vs $265M of DM2

If not for Minions 2's resurgence to $370M, would have expected it to drop from DM2 and do closer to $200M.

Guess Minions are main franchise now, DM are spinoff.

• Like 3

https://deadline.com/2024/07/box-office-despicable-me-4-1236001250/

Opening yesterday was Angel Studios’ Sound of Hope: The Story of Possum Trot with $3.1M which will put the movie over 4-days well ahead of the $4M-$6M forecast we spotted. The pic from director/co-writer Joshua Weigel landed an A+ CinemaScore and 97% from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes. The movie tells the true story of Donna and Reverend Martin and their church in East Texas. Twenty-two families adopted 77 children from the local foster system, igniting a movement for vulnerable children everywhere. Nika King stars.

A+ cinemascore , 97% from audience, it seems this one can be the summer surprise.