AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

I believe Charlie more than Box Office Report estimated numbers 

With 3.3M it should do 20M OW, exceptional 

And i don’t think it’ll fall of a cliff after the opening, horror easily does at least 2.5x even when the audience reception is bad. In this case it’s not even bad apparently, more divisive, which sometimes actually help some horror titles.

• Like 1

Quorum tracking this AM is predicting that the Oz Perkins horror film could do $14M-$17M to the Sony distributed Apple movie, Fly Me to the Moon, which is eyeing $12M-$15M. Quorum is seeing “an engaged and growing core” for Longlegs.

Quorum does weekend estimates, too?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Quorum does weekend estimates, too?

Yes, but that's typically only something you get if you're a subscriber. @whatsupdoc shared some projections of theirs a few months ago here on teh forum.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fly Me to the Moon looking at $8-9M for the weekend is disappointing, but not a surprise.

So, would you say it's more flop me to the moon? owned GIF

I imagine if neither Wolfs or F1 (the only remaining Apple titles coming up receiving substantial theatrical releases) do great as well then that will mark the end of this particular experiment.

Meanwhile, the good news for horror should last a while. Trap, Speak No Evil, and Smile 2 all look to have potential to do substantial business as well.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I imagine if neither Wolfs or F1 (the only remaining Apple titles coming up receiving substantial theatrical releases) do great as well then that will mark the end of this particular experiment.

Meanwhile, the good news for horror should last a while. Trap, Speak No Evil, and Smile 2 all look to have potential to do substantial business as well.

High to Low adaptation? 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Trap looks more like a thriller than a horror movie. Good for Longlegs?

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

Trap looks more like a thriller than a horror movie. Good for Longlegs?

It's also PG-13 vs. Longlegs' R (and Deadpool & Wolverine's R, for that matter), so might able to grab some dollars from those locked out of seeing those movies as well.

5 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

High to Low adaptation? 

Just looked up who is putting it out and it's A24 handling theatrical (as opposed to the majors handling their biggest titles so far), so good chance it ends up receiving the Tragedy of Macbeth treatment.

Rest of the top 5 of pics in regular release are as follows:

1.) Despicable Me 4 (Uni) 4,428 theaters Thu $9.1M (-11% from Wednesday), Wk $118.8M, Total $166.4M/Wk 1

2.) Inside Out 2 (Dis) 3,760 theaters Thu $3.9M (-10%) Wk $48M, Total $551.8M/Wk 4

3.) A Quiet Place: Day One (Par) 3,688 theaters, Thu $2.1M (-12%) Wk $31M, Total $104.4M/Wk 2

4.) Bad Boys: Ride or Die (Sony) 2,644 theaters, Thu $679K (-8%) Wk $9.6M, Total $180.4M/Wk 5

5.) MaXXXine (A24) 2,450 theaters, Thu $521K (-22%), Wk $9.3M/Wk 1

So we're probably getting...

1. DM4: 42.7M

2. Longlegs: 21M

3. Inside Out 2: 19.3M

4. A Quiet Place: 11M

5. Fly Me: 8M

6. Bad Boys: 4.5M

7. Maxxxine: 2.5M

• Like 2

So Inside Out 2 4th week will be $48M.

5M behind Barbie, 4M ahead of Incredibles 2, 12M behind Ava2, 3M ahead of Jurassic World. Still aiming for the 650m final, but I wouldn’t be surprised by an expansion to push it into the top 10

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just looked up who is putting it out and it's A24 handling theatrical (as opposed to the majors handling their biggest titles so far), so good chance it ends up receiving the Tragedy of Macbeth treatment.

Macbeth came out when there were still corona variant concerns and a questionable adult box office. I highly doubt that A24 is not putting a Denzel Washington starter in at least as many theaters as Maxxxine 

29 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

An 11.4x multi in the summer.  Doubtful

No Hard Feelings did  7.14 in June

Lost City did 12.18 in March

That’s what I first thought, but that didn’t stop Bikeriders and Horizon doing well over 11.4x previews? 

• Like 1