AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

39 minutes ago, John Marston said:

audiences: "we're tired of superhero films!"

Studios: "Ok here are some non-superhero blockbusters like Dungeons & Dragons, The Fall Guy, and Twisters"

audiences: "oh we're good"

Audience are tired of shit superhero movies* yet to see an good movie actually flop

13 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Audience are tired of shit superhero movies* yet to see an good movie actually flop

Didn’t people like Blue Beetle?

edit: Nvm. B+ cinema core 😷

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Earned a B+ Cinemascore (same as Shazam 2, Love and Thunder, et al), though I know it has its fans like almost every other CBM has tbf

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Studios: "Ok here are some non-superhero blockbusters like Dungeons & Dragons, The Fall Guy, and Twisters"

It turns out they dont want movies ._.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

edit: Nvm. B+ cinema core 😷

I think the general consensus is that most of the people who saw Blue Beetle liked it, but didn't love it. 

Still, while one could say that film was a good superhero movie that not a lot of people saw, I feel it just came out at the worst time possible to where it would be next to impossible for it to become a success. Nevermind the fact that Blue Beetle himself is not a known DC character (outside of die-hard fans), it was released during the dual labor strike (causing little to no promotion from the main cast) and was part of a universe that was literally dying and people knew wasn't going to matter anymore in the long run. Add in reviews not being in the levels of something like Guardians 3 or Across the Spider-Verse and you get a film that had little to no chance to become a hit. 

I hate saying that (especially as someone who liked Blue Beetle), but it's true. 

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

That is the problem: general audiences never said that. Letterboxd and Twitter are the ones carping about superheroes 

20 hours ago, AniNate said:

I might actually watch it if that were the movie

So, I see a lot of hate for DM4...and I must admit, I saw it with the $5 tickets last night.

It's an improved Secret Life of Pets 2...very little A to B plot, but more a series of funny stories that hang between A to B.  The best subplot story involves Gru and Poppy - that was wildly funny.

But what it does right is have humor going on screen even when it's not part of the main gag - they don't waste a minute, they don't skip an opportunity to have you amused,

My whole family gave it grades between B+ and B-, with some favoring the middle and some liking how the ending pulled it all together (the spouse - he thought the last half was wildly better than the 1st - I thought the middle was the best)...

And on a day you wanted to skip the world and just be amused, it was perfect for that...and always seems to be.

• Like 3

PS - 28 MINUTES of crap shown before a kids' movie...this has GOT to stop.  It almost kept me from wanting to go back to a movie again.  They could have JUST done previews or JUST done commercials and halved that time, and made it an enjoyable viewing for kids and families again.

Craziest preview was Pharell's Lego movie (which my kid wants) - weirdest was 2 family Christmas releases in back-to-back weeks in November.  Overall impression is WAY too many family movies releasing from September to November - they are gonna crush each other...maybe one wins...

Spouse was intrigued by Wicked...then I told him it's a Part 1, and he's like "how do you know - it doesn't say that" - yeah, his interest fell off, and we'll see how only doing part 1 without telling folks does...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Posted (edited)

Just to illustrate how little Apple's film ventures mean in the grand scheme of things, their stock price just hit an all-time high. I know on a box office forum people like to think big movie investments have dramatic impacts, but the reality is they really are a big enough company that they can afford to throw away $100 million on a mid romcom. Not to say they might be inclined to make that same decision again, of course.

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Just to illustrate how little Apple's film ventures mean in the grand scheme of things, their stock price just hit an all-time high. I know on a box office forum people prefer to think big investments have dramatic impacts, but the reality is they really are a big enough company that they can afford to throw away $100 million on a mid romcom. Not to say they might be inclined to make that same decision again, of course.

I just wonder who's being convinced that these are good business decisions. They're not losing hundreds of millions of dollars out of the goodness of their hearts. Yes, I know that it's small compared to the other money they make, but they're one of only a few companies that can do this with impunity.

39 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Just to illustrate how little Apple's film ventures mean in the grand scheme of things, their stock price just hit an all-time high. I know on a box office forum people like to think big movie investments have dramatic impacts, but the reality is they really are a big enough company that they can afford to throw away $100 million on a mid romcom. Not to say they might be inclined to make that same decision again, of course.

Yeah at some point who cares about them being able to write these movies off just because  they can  afford to. They need to have a hit or even a have a movie do 70m + DOM would be nice. Unless Wolfs is great and Brad and George  pack them in or F1 is a mini TG Maverick not sure how long they can keep doing this.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah at some point who cares about them being able to write these movies off just because  they can  afford to. They need to have a hit or even a have a movie do 70m + DOM would be nice. Unless Wolfs is great and Brad and George  pack them in or F1 is a mini TG Maverick not sure how long they can keep doing this.

Do they really need to have a hit though? That's the question. I hate to say it but perhaps big tech conglomerates are the future for filmmakers who want big money to take big swings. The budget for Fly Me to the Moon doesn't even register as a thousandth of a percentage of the company's net worth

Edited by AniNate

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Do they really need to have a hit though? That's the question. I hate to say it but perhaps big tech conglomerates are the future for filmmakers who want big money to take big swings. The budget for Fly Me to the Moon doesn't even register as a thousandth of a percentage of the company's net worth

Yes I kind of think they do. If making money is not even a concern they why bother. Just be the production house that makes expensive movies that bomb so you can dump then on your steaming service that barely anybody has or watches at least compared to the other streaming services? At some point I think they want a hit and the studios they partner with would like one too.