kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

Bet WB wished they had domestic instead of OS like the original but TBH I think Universal wouldn't have wanted to compete with themselves with this and DM4 back to back. 

I do think it's less to do with WB's marketing of the film which is usually top notch and more due to the fact Twisters is more domestic heavy in terms of appeal. 

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Deadline expecting harsh drop for Despicable Me, but honestly I don't really trust their animated movie holds either.

To be fair, Despicable Me 4 did lose all of its PLF screens to Twisters, so I can see why they're projecting a harsher drop. Hopefully it's less than 51% though. 

Though after last weekend and those mostly terrible drops from Saturday to Sunday, I'm kind of fine with them lowballing here. 

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

This is the kind of film that many of us Midwestern grow ups see all over. By the weekend my extended family alone will have contributed over 20 tickets in 4 states (only 2 in Tornado areas.) And this was unplanned until yesterday 🤷‍♂️🤣

I think it might be somewhat inaccurate to say it's only appealing to the heartland red states. It does seem to be selling pretty well in the east coast megalopolis as well and even modestly decent in some of the small western cities. Mainly an embarrassing lack of interest in inner Los Angeles that seems to be keeping it from the $100mil conversation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

To be fair, Despicable Me 4 did lose all of its PLF screens to Twisters, so I can see why they're projecting a harsher drop. Hopefully it's less than 51% though. 

Though after last weekend and those mostly terrible drops from Saturday to Sunday, I'm kind of fine with them lowballing here. 

The Saturday to Sunday drops were bad but the Monday holds were pretty good and the Tuesday holds were also strong so that was a very big anomaly

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think it might be somewhat inaccurate to say it's only appealing to the heartland red states. It does seem to be selling pretty well in the east coast megalopolis as well and even modestly decent in some of the small western cities. Mainly an embarrassing lack of interest in inner Los Angeles that seems to be keeping it from the $100mil conversation.

Yep. Minnesota is arguably the most liberal Midwestern state (yeah yeah Illinois, but that’s just Chicago), or at least the most purple one, and it’s doing awesome here. Both in the metro and smaller towns, just a success all around. I don’t buy people trying to make this a political thing

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

In a weird way, it's like  the film 2012 where OS dwarfed domestic but in this case domestic is dwarfing overseas. 

To be fair, that movie depicted the destruction of the entire world (meaning: a lot of famous landmarks to be destroyed), while this takes place in Oklahoma.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, that movie depicted the destruction of the entire world (meaning: a lot of famous landmarks to be destroyed), while this takes place in Oklahoma.

2012 is a stupid movie but it was fun to watch at the time. Sony's stroke of genius to release it in November paid off handsomely even against New Moon.

34 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Is L.A. only going to care about earthquakes.

1 hour ago, Shawn Robbins said:

Studio source has 31 Fri (includes previews) and 72 wknd.

Fair chance it goes higher, IMO, but not sure if they are baking in walkups or not.

Congrats on a brilliant call that I thought looked unlikely even few days ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the Movie Theater Popcorn Bucket being all the rage these days after the Dune 2 lolz, I remain surprised and disappointed that they never came up with anything (either a popcorn bucket or a drink cup) for Twisters. Missed opportunity!

Re: Twisters' US appeal, it's doing what I predicted in being a smaller-scale TGM. Its got the Americana stuff that appeals to flyover and rural/conservative areas, has tons of action and spectacle for the A-List/Unlimited people who try to see everything in PLFs, feels fresh in tackling a concept and location you don't see very often in blockbusters, and it's a strong, well-made blockbuster with solid critical backing that makes it appealing to snobby coastal elites like me. It's really a perfect stor--uh...perfect...combination of elements.

• Like 4

Just now, AniNate said:

I wonder if it was part of the Uni/Warner agreement that only Max gets to have the original Twister before the release. Lame that Peacock doesn't have it.

Warner Bros has the domestic rights to Twister so it makes sense it's on Max, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of SVOD deal where Twisters is shared between Peacock and Max when it debuts on those platforms. 

I think WBD did some marketing for Twisters despite WB not distributing it domestically so there must be deals in place from both studios.

From Deadline.com:

Neon’s Longlegs, booked at 2,850 locations, is eyeing $3.3M in its second Friday and a second weekend that’s -54% with an estimated $10.2M, good for a $43.1M 10-day running total.

Expected drop for a horror film but I hope it has a good Saturday so it goes below 50. 

On the topic of Twister and Twisters being a split distribution deal between Universal and WB, noticed that Twister only had the WB logo but not the Universal one. Wondering if the opposite happened with Twisters

5 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Twisters is not doing well outside of USA because of this main reason 

Star cast is not very recognizable. No one as the lead or supporting is known by GA outside America. They should have cast atleast one big star. Chris Pratt for example would have done wonders to this IP. 

Daisy Edgar Jones was in Normal People here with Paul Mescal and that was huge. Crawdads and Anyone But You both made the equivelant of $85-110m here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

A certain person also was saying not too long ago that no one wanted to see a movie about tornadoes anymore because they're too traumatizing

I was wrong, but damn, the fact you remembered that I said it means a lot to me. I didn't know you cared about me that much. 🥰

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

On the topic of Twister and Twisters being a split distribution deal between Universal and WB, noticed that Twister only had the WB logo but not the Universal one. Wondering if the opposite happened with Twisters

Warner Bros, Universal and Amblin get the logos and credits but WB appears first internationally.