kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

4 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Of course we all know who's the bigger star. Gotta shift my GIFs to maximum overdrive so y'all can get the picture.

giphy.webp

I mean, Chalamet definitely gives off “coastal star” while Powell is more “middle America star”. Room for both to coexist.

• Like 3

Just now, DAJK said:

I mean, Chalamet definitely gives off “coastal star” while Powell is more “middle America star”. Room for both to coexist.

I mean we're called coastal elites for a reason.

giphy.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Is it too early to say that Glenn Powell is kind of starting to become this decade’s McConaughey? Or Chris Pratt? Not sure which one fits better, but either way I can see it.

Kind of interesting how, when TGM came out, a lot of people I know were saying that this would be the beginning of the Miles Teller comeback. But since then, it’s Powell who’s really popped off.

Kind of funny that Powell was up for the  role of Goose's son and Cruise and Kosinski went with Teller and Powell was so pissed he almost refused to take the Hangman role.  And now it seems like the breakout role from that movie.

I know Deadpool and Wolverine's gonna open higher than both, but how funny is it that Twisters (if those walk-ups keep coming in) might just have the third-best opening weekend of 2024 behind both D&W and Inside Out 2. 

I didn't think Dune: Part Two would have a chance to get overshadowed by a legacy sequel to Twister, but now here we are.

Two lessons of the weekend

1. Walk-ups are the most important thing on the planet when it comes to a movie's financial prospects.

2. If you wanna make a legacy sequel to a massively popular film, give it to Universal. Between this and Jurassic World, they surely know how to sell these movies to as many people as possible.

Edited by Ryan C

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wow. This is the biggest comeback since Rocky Balboa beat Apollo Creed!

People were doomposting about Twisters so hard these last couple of weeks.

@Shawn Robbinsknew all along. Everyone else doesn't know how to gauge walkups

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Is it too early to say that Glenn Powell is kind of starting to become this decade’s McConaughey? Or Chris Pratt? Not sure which one fits better, but either way I can see it.

Kind of interesting how, when TGM came out, a lot of people I know were saying that this would be the beginning of the Miles Teller comeback. But since then, it’s Powell who’s really popped off.

Powell has movie star good looks and has proven he can be funny in Anyone But You. A sense of humor goes a long way in getting the audience to like you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

thinking this would have passed Dune 2 domestic if it weren't for Deadpool

You're probably gonna be saying "it could've held 20%" next weekend if it manages a 30% hold

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Powell has movie star good looks and has proven he can be funny in Anyone But You. A sense of humor goes a long way in getting the audience to like you.

You know who's also funny?

bevier-timothee-chalamet.gif

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I'm officially now on the $200M hype train for Twisters!

That will require some serious Saturday and Sunday boosts to accomplish by end of day Sunday, but we'll see, WOM does seem incredible 

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

250M is happening 

The only problem is OS, hopefully Europe will save the day foreign

Yeah, but even at the worst, it should still do at least $350M worldwide. That's still over two times the reported $155M budget and because the split between domestic and international will be much bigger on the former compared to the latter, Universal will get more money back. 

Regardless, Universal, Warner Bros, and Amblin aren't gonna face any huge financial loss on this film.

• Like 1