kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

I think the EA is going to eat into previews a good bit but something like this seems reasonable

19.8 (30.5m True Friday)

73m weekend - an extremely satisfying result!!

27 minutes ago, Shawn Robbins said:

10.7 is definitely official, comes from the studio.

Great! Twisters is hitting the high range of projections this weekend.

• Like 1

So great to have a Live action tentpole movie this summer possibly over perform expectations since Apes and BB ROD kind of did what was expected  and the Fall Guy and Furiosa both underperformed expectations.

If nothing else this will be an experiment in how well a PG-13 tentpole with solid word of mouth holds against an R rated superhero tentpole. If Twisters does have a bad hold next week then that will definitively discourage studios from a similar strategy in the future. But if does end up holding well then Uni will look like geniuses for keeping the date.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This opening actually makes me more frustrated that Universal didn’t open this over Memorial Day or the 4th of July weekend and not one week before another major action blockbuster

Furiosa already took the Memorial Day weekend 

Nobody expected it to be such a mega bomb though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skim Beeble said:

Wasn't this looking like it'd have around $5.5-6m previews including EA just less than a week ago? Jesus christ what an explosion.

Also this is Twisters and not some frontloaded superhero sequel.

Walkups for Twisters should be huge.

According to Deadline :

DM4 : 5M

LongLegs : 2,2M

IO2 : 2,4M

Great hold for LongLegs ( only -7% drop). If it plays like Insidious or Talk To Me , it will make 11-11,5M 2nd Weekend . Same drop as last week for the two other , 24,5-25M for DM4, around 13M for IO2.

• Like 2

I don't wanna immediately jump on the "Glen Powell is a butts-in-seats draw" hype train, but this is definitely an encouraging sign for his future as an actor.

He certainly didn't keep people away from the movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I don't wanna immediately jump on the "Glen Powell is a butts-in-seats draw" hype train, but this is definitely an encouraging sign for his future as an actor.

Eh. This is about the Twisters not the actors here. I do like me some Glen Powell though.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I think +80M is definitely in play here. 

If it does 250M DOM, even the disappointing 150-200M OS won’t matter much since they revised the budget to 150M 

It’s shaping up to be a solid hit, nice for theaters 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Has there been a male lead that has become a legitimate draw like this since Chris Pratt? It feels like he was the last one, and he emerged a decade ago.

It'll be interesting to see what his next moves will be. There's a lot of projects floating around Hollywood that need an A lister to anchor it to be viable.

53 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also shows started at 2:00 yesterday too since it's pretty much had a full opening day before its actual opening day lol. What can you do.

I thought the show started 5pm? Deadline and variety all said the Thursday preview started from 5pm.

Anyway, so twisters is the movie that got flyover states hyped in this summer after sound of freedom and TGM.

Excellent for Twisters! Deadline has the budget at $155m too, so maybe the rumoured $200m was before tax credits. 

Excellent for Longlegs. A Quiet Place Day One dipped -12% on Thursday, so a -7% hold is promising.